Over 70's threatened with £1000 fines or jail

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Over 70's threatened with £1000 fines or jail

Post by hatusu »

Over 70’s are threatened with £1000 fine or jail if they don’t self isolate.
If you’re going to be forced to self isolate you might as well be somewhere where all your meals are provided for by “staff”, also all your medication and any treatment required, no housework, and another bonus being your own utility bills will be considerably reduced. And you save £1000.
It’s a no-brainer isn’t it?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Over 70's threatened with £1000 fines or jail

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I find it laughable that jail should be threatened. We don't have adequate spaces in jails for real criminals. What are they going to do? Perhaps let out all those that it's taken years and a fortune to put behind bars?
I think I've read that some countries have let prisoners out of prison because of the Corona Virus, not sure if tbe UK is one of them, but goodness knows how they will monitor that situation.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I also have to wonder how that works out with the homeless population, many of which must be over 70, but most who aren't must come into the vulnerable category.
Are we suddenly going to find bed spaces in hostels for them too?
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Coronavirus patients who refuse to self-isolate face murder charges in Italy :a82:

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/people-c ... to=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

And similar dramatic headlines are rife in the Australian press .....the Australian government having imposed fines and jail terms on those that don’t comply.

I’d like to think that UK (where there’s been no such official pronouncement) will be more measured in its response!

As others have pointed out, it’s obviously totally impracticable - and probably self- defeating - to fine or jail those who decline to self-isolate.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I do think if you knowingly have the virus and then do not self isolate but actively go among other folk, then yes ther should be punishment. However, this should not be age dependant.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:47 pm I do think if you knowingly have the virus and then do not self isolate but actively go among other folk, then yes ther should be punishment. However, this should not be age dependant.
Perhaps I should have clearer. I was referring those those, mainly elderly, or who have flu like symptoms, who are “advised” to self isolate....not those who have tested positive.

I think this is likely to be academic if the government takes Emergency Powers this week.

Such powers would enable the authorities to forcibly quarantine anyone testing positive and those refusing to take a test.

Anyone escaping from quarantine would simply be returned there.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

In my working life I was a statistician, both for Midland Bank and Pirelli. So looking at the statistics – the UK population is about 67 million. So far 233 people have died of Coronavirus. Normally 600 people annually die from flu.
Just from these statistics I truly cannot understand the draconian lockdown of the UK because of these figures, and surely it causes more harm than the coronavirus to the economy and the community. Im not saying its wrong, Im saying I cant understand it so I am more than happy to be put right if someone can give me a reasonable explanation as to why lockdown is in the interests of the UK at large. It seems that for the community at large the Cure is far worse than the actual Disease (and I write as someone who is in the At Risk section of the community ).
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I don't think many of us can really understand it. But as a statatition, you will also know that statistics can only show so much.

As I understand it, one of the biggest concerns is the demand on the NHS. If this virus does get a grip here we do not have the resistance against it that a high proportion of the population does have against eg seasonal flu. With this strain of corona virus Covid 19, if you are ill enough to be hospitalised you are likely to need intensive care including ventilation. No hospital has the capacity to deal with many itc patients at any given time. So other areas have to be prepared too.

The UK govt have been slow in introducing isolation, closures, etc. because they have been working on the 'herd immunisation' theory, but you'll have to read up on that as it's to complex for me to even try to write before my first cup of coffee.

Following the pattern of the way this virus has affected countries, from known cases, clusters, and deaths, the UK would appear to be 14 days behind Italy. On that basis, we have not reached our peak yet, but known cases and deaths are on the increase.

Going back to statistics. They can only tell so much. The only reasonably accurate records any country will have (and I would question how accurate they are for some countries) is going to be the death records. We will never know how many people caught the virus except those that were hospitalised or tested but not hospitalised. As testing is very rare, and not available to the majority, that is going to throw any given set of figures too.

All any of us can do is take the precautions given to us by the recognised health bodies and governments.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’m not sure where hatusu gets her statistics....maybe a typo?

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu.

Hepzibah summarises the problem reasonably well. Without any natural immunity in the population, or a vaccine, we could see an Italy- like situation with the NHS being overwhelmed and a huge rise in deaths.

Possibly in the tens of thousands.

The only answer is to curtail the spread of the virus through draconian isolation tactics. This does, of course, impact drastically on the economy and life generally, but the alternative is accepting many more deaths than we’ve seen so far.

And it seems to be working in China and other Asian countries which have experienced outbreaks.

I’ve seen various estimates but 250,000 is by no means impossible given the numbers of elderly, those with existing morbidity issues, and the mortality percentages of this virus.

Remember that - albeit in the days of much poorer medical care - Spanish flu killed 50-100 million worldwide.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Worse still how will they pay their TV licence fee in June if the're in clink!!!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:46 pm
Worse still how will they pay their TV licence fee in June if the're in clink!!!
The BBC have deferred the change for over 75’s....by 2 months....to 1st Aug.

Two months!!

How generous :urm:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Having spent time writing 2 books at her Maj's pleasure, self isolation is a doodle.
It all depends on who your 'banged up with.
So, my time spent in 4 of Her Maj's Hotels has another personnel benefit, not since spotted.
"Every cloud has its silver lining, 'chin-up!... at least there's no football 'ont telly.... 8)

Ps: All UK prisoners will be banged up 23-7 with only cleaners, cooks, landing crews allowed out.
I was also at her majesty's pleasure during the 1990's riots, I didn't rate them high on tripe-advisor....joke?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e got to say I have always taken this pandemic seriously, Iv'e been around some sh*t..
But, listening to Boris today, coming across all very serious with overtones of Winston and Jamie and his new
Keep Cooking and Carry on shades of Fanny / Vera Lynn, hopefully the local folk and guests start to take this
epidemic a bit seriously.

We are starting a herb garden on the balcony, "we are digging for victory!
Every shop in the market is shut except for the Co-op the chemist, two excellent Indian shops,
and a brill Greek deli, everything else is shut tight.
Even the Thai massage parlour...( I visited it once with a neck ache, quite surprising! )

I'm off to Smithfield this Friday for a weekend leg of lamb, perhaps some foie gras, cumberland sausage
the market sells more than just dead cows and sheep...
Ps: I'm pretty sure not many viruses can survive insides the markets confines...
There's even an underground pub or used to be .... 8)

Pss: As a disbarred Dr, I of course offered my expert services, I was deferred... Why ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.