Thomas Cook in trouble

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Thomas Cook in trouble

Post by crewmeal »

News agencies including Sky reporting the next 24 hours for the company are critical.

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook- ... e-11814043

If things did go badly then it could impact on holidays and travel to Hurghada and of course Luxor.

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Thomas Cook in trouble

Post by denisegr »

I've already paid for my flights with them for next year ☹
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

denisegr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:34 pm I've already paid for my flights with them for next year ☹
Oops hope they survive then. Martin Lewis gives a guide to your rights/chances of compensation here:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... -funding-/
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You’d think that as it will cost the Govt at least £600 million to repatriate TC customers already abroad they’d find some way of coming up with the £200 million shortfall in the rescue plan.

Moreover, the redundancy implications are enormous.

Unfortunately, govts don’t think like that and , in any case, there may be an EU rule preventing them
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I was curious when I heard the other day that the government had a repatriation plan. Have they done this in the past when other travel companies have gone bust?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Cannot think of a time Hepzi. Its getting reported that package holidays are covered by ATOL, and maybe some may get aid if paid by credit card, for others it looks a bit dodgy at the moment.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:11 am I was curious when I heard the other day that the government had a repatriation plan. Have they done this in the past when other travel companies have gone bust?
I think that’s shorthand for the ATOL scheme....which is funded by the CAA .....which is funded by the government I.e you and I and other taxpayers.

Last I remember is the Monarch debacle in 2017.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I think the Chinesei just want it cheap, they want it, they just don't want to pay for it.
It's called business...9-5ers won't understand that, that's the dirty end called business.

It's also called using one's brain.... 8)
Ps: They have also been a pretty crap travel company for years,
trading on their name, & sailing down the Nile...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

After a lot of talks between bankers and management Thomas Cook have failed to secure any sort of future and have ceased trading. My thoughts go to all the staff worldwide who'll now be out of a job.

The FCO have posted:
Change made
Summary – advice following the announcement that Thomas Cook has ceased trading

Time updated
2:54am, 23 September 2019
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I was with friends last night who are due to fly back to Manchester from Hurghada with TC today.

They’ve been watching the developments anxiously and will be waking up to the bad news.

Particularly awkward for them as , with many others, they booked a “flight only” (I.e. not ATOL protected).....and with a debit (rather than credit) card. At least accommodation - if they find difficulty in getting seats on another flight - is not a problem as they have their own apartment here.

UPDATE: They have been allocated seats on rescue flight today. Looks as if the govt is as good as its word!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The government couldn't bail them out, I wonder why, they had no problem bailing out the fat cat bankers.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

One reason was the future wasn't rosie and forward bookings were poor, so why give good money after bad. It would have just delayed the inevitable.

Looks like the govt are looking into the 'fatcat' pay cheques of millions to directors creaming off the profeits.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Just a reminder of what a great company it was:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 am One reason was the future wasn't rosie and forward bookings were poor, so why give good money after bad. It would have just delayed the inevitable.

Probably....and would set an awkward precedent.

A sad case of a company that simply didn’t move with the times and recognise that holidaymakers are quite capable of stitching together their own packages with the aid of the internet and don’t need a high street travel agent.

A parallel with the way high street retailers are suffering because of the constant rise of online shopping.
Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

I have a colleague who has a £6,000 booking with TC - and he paid cash/debit card rather than with a credit card... I wait with bated breath to see how much he gets back.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Alistair1967 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 am I have a colleague who has a £6,000 booking with TC - and he paid cash/debit card rather than with a credit card... I wait with bated breath to see how much he gets back.
I take it he didn’t arrange insurance? :(

TC have been candidates for failure for well over a year.
Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

newcastle wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:07 am
Alistair1967 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:57 am I have a colleague who has a £6,000 booking with TC - and he paid cash/debit card rather than with a credit card... I wait with bated breath to see how much he gets back.
I take it he didn’t arrange insurance? :(

TC have been candidates for failure for well over a year.
I dont think he did! Didn't foresee this kind of trouble... I flew with TC to Spain and back recently, no real hint of the company's impending doom, in fact we had to sit through the promo video on the return flight, a video full of optimism about the firm's future, and all about how they are one of the greenest and most progressive in the travel industry. It all seems very ironic now.

Just have to feel for all the staff, and anyone else who has been affected by the collapse.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 am A sad case of a company that simply didn’t move with the times and recognise that holidaymakers are quite capable of stitching together their own packages with the aid of the internet and don’t need a high street travel agent.

A parallel with the way high street retailers are suffering because of the constant rise of online shopping.
Thomas Cook had taken over a very popular Danish charter agency and the guest panicked, worried about getting home from their holidays. Yesterday, it was announced that they will continue as a healthy part of Thomas Cook Scandinavia and everyone will be fine.

I have not bought a charter trip this century; I used to cycle or walk downtown and purchase myself a trip like a pair of shoes. Today, I would do my booking online like I always do tickets and hotels. This is the norm in Denmark and of course saves Thomas Cook some expenses. On the news, they said that the preferred way in UK is still the personal service and that this has become too costly for the agency, as the costumers expect low prices.
Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

The preferred way for most in the UK now is to book online, but Thomas Cook still had far too many store outlets, not to mention too many greedy directors - helping themselves to millions of pounds while the business receded.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:09 pm On the news, they said that the preferred way in UK is still the personal service and that this has become too costly for the agency, as the costumers expect low prices.
A moment’s thought will tell you that the advice of reputable travel agent is worth every penny of their costs.....and indeed can actually save you money.

But, nowadays, perception is everything and Mr & Mrs Average reckon they can do better by cruising the internet. It’s a sad, but true, fact.

Same with holiday insurance. The number of people who book, pay and travel without adequate cover is staggering. They obviously feel it’s only OTHER people who run into problems.