Who the hell s hiding what in this s---hole

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who the hell s hiding what in this s---hole

Post by Major Thom » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm

We have just heard from a friend in Luxor that she has been admitted to hospital with a second bout of food poisoning in 3 weeks thus making the trip to visit us impossible. They messaged us from hospital to tell us there are numerous people being treated for food poisoning and there have also been fatalities. Why civer this up, where is the agency for food regulation? Why is substandard food been sold and offered up in restaurants around Luxor? Why is these establishments not been inspected n a regular basis? But most of all why are these numerous incidents being hidden or covered up. Totally shameful!!! And they need tourists to come back! I thought his food poisoning thing was just Hurghada but its rife in Luxor the only difference is Hurghada gets it advertised, while Luxor hides it. F--k off Luxor and start being open, get your inspectors active at eating establishments and stop selling sub standard food you B------s sorry about the bad language but people need to know the truth and not get it hidden from them.....

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Who the hell s hiding what in this s---hole

Post by Major Thom » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 pm

People should know about these happenings and not have the wool pulled over their eyes, an utter disgrace for a place trying to get tiurism active again. Get your bloody socks pulled up Luxor and stop hiding things. You know people have died through this food poisoning in Luxor hospitals. The truth always comes out!!!! If it were not for the fact our friends were involved and told us first hand we would have known no different....In a similar way know one on this site seems to know, or is it they too are trying to cover things up too.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Sorry about spelling mistakes but I get furious with bloody corrupt practices and cover ups!!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:45 pm

MT. I would be very sceptical of anyone getting food poisoning twice in a matter of three weeks. If I had food poisoning from eating out then I would not be eating in that place a second time, or are you implying that everywhere they go to eat out they get food poisoning? I would have thought that after the first incident that they would be taking greater care with where and what they were eating? I would certainley be preparing my own food if that were the case as there is absolutely no actual need to eat elsewhere other than at home, so they must be still doing something that can be avoided in order to keep being hospitalised. As to covering things up, well I doubt if any other member including myself has any personal knowledge of every outbreak of food poisoning in Luxor, only the hospital would have that knowledge, so unless someone on here is in close contact with your friends then they are unlikely to know about it. :ni:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:34 pm

There have been a number of food poisoning incidents in Luxor and the surrounding area in recent years. Nile cruises are particularly vulnerable.

All well reported.

I agree with Horus that you need to be particularly dumb - or maybe ignorant of basic personal hygiene - to go down twice in three weeks!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:26 pm

The problem with 'food poisoning' is that the actual source can be very hard to detect, unless there are numerous cases that have common link factors e.g a cruise boat/party/food bought from same supplier.

Many people say they've got food poisoning at the first sign of an upset stomach, without considering all the other posibilities and putting up with possibly uncomfortable - but not harmful - symptoms for a day or two.

One of the often overlooked cause of 'food poisoning'...or perhaps I should say 'holiday tummy' ... is feacal contamination in swimming pools. There does not need to be obvious visual signs for a pool to be contaminated in such a way.

It does seem odd that someone should have food poisoning twice within three weeks. I'm no doctor or scientist, but it would leave me to believe that the original intestinal problem had not been dealt with sufficiently and the bug lived on - possibly needing more or a change of antibiotics.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:21 am

Major Thom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 pm
The truth always comes out!!!! If it were not for the fact our friends were involved and told us first hand we would have known no different....
If it weren't for you, we would not know that your friend got sick. Thank you!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:09 am

OMG MT what an hysterical post, calm down your going to have an heart attack
I wonder if these reports originate from the same friends that had a nine hour power cut,that no one else experienced. Or reported that all the trees had been cut down along the canal between Djorf and the bridge that proved to be untrue. Your friends seem to have experiences not shared by any others that I have heard of. I have friends who eat out regularly, in fact one lady refuses to cook at all and has her lunch and dinner out everyday. No reports of food poisoning.
If I were your friends I would be looking at my own personal hygiene rather than blaming others especially if suffering severe stomach upsets twice in three weeks.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:01 am

What I don't understand is, why MT is posting on a Saturday night rather than out listening
to some crap tribute band like Poxy Music, Blobbie Williams,Fake That, or his favorite Abattoir....

Whilst dining upon a deathburger from the Takis Kebab House and supping
Lian Shee from Aphrodite's Rock Brewing Co... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I've lived here for 13 yrs - I eat out very regularly on the West Bank as I am the first to admit I am a terrible cook. Touch wood I've only had a bad stomach upset once - not through anything I ate intentionally, but quite disgustingly accidentally. I tripped over on the riverside path immediately after a group of camels had passed and fell literally flat on my face. Or more specifically flat on my mouth. As I said, immediately after the camels.......
I suffered a very bad stomach (you can imagine why) but fortunately that was soon sorted with Antinal and Streptoquin quite quickly. However that wasn't the worst part. With falling on my mouth I'd badly grazed the whole of my upper lip. The graze turned into a scab and for some considerable time I had to walk about with what looked like a Hitler moustache on my upper lip.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:37 pm

:lol: :lol: Oh I should not laugh :P

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Cow dung was regularly used to seal the umbilical cord of babies in primitive societies.....still is in some African villages.

Hatusu was a tad unlucky. Had she taken a dive into a cowpat she’d probably have been ok. :lol:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 am

Expanding a little, my friend is now out of hospital. (Thank goodness) This oerson has lived in Luxor almost 14 years and very rately suffers anything. I do agree its gard to trace, but after sing photos of food shelves a week or two after Eid, especially meat counters, which the markets had may as well laid the people off until they got stock in again, were totally divoid of products. We all know too that refridgeration is not at its best in temperatures above 40C. However it has come to light that some people have passed away due to this outbreak, probably not even aware of what was wrong with them. How many times including myself have you opened a freezer up and felt the frozen product has defrosted? Any of these products should be thrown away under all costs and not refrozen over night. Bacteria breeds fast in food. I dont know if there is a food standards agency in Egypt but if there is, its obviously not working. The amount of admissions on food poisoning has risen 3 fold over the past month, so there is something amiss. You can also look at some of the kitchens in outlets, they take a lot to be desired, many have cookers with baked on spillages, greasy floors, dirty walls and even would you believe no insecticutors for insect, fly and mossie control. In fact I once pointed out about there not being a encapture tray on one of these insecticutors. So many things go against European Food Standards, that E-coli could break out anywhere. I did not know until recently that a licensed kitchen needs quite a lot of stainless steel on walls and around equipment.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 am

It is good to read that your friend is now out of hospital and hopefully making a good recovery.
Major Thom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 am
. So many things go against European Food Standards, that E-coli could break out anywhere. I did not know until recently that a licensed kitchen needs quite a lot of stainless steel on walls and around equipment.
Erm...I have to state the obvious...Egypt is not in Europe, and does not come under the European Food Standards (as far as I am aware).

Whilst it would be wonderful to live in an ideal world. that is not possible. Even in European countries with their standards, rules and regulations, people fall ill, and some even die, because of food relaged issues. It is a sad fact of life. However, when living in countries that are already known for having lower standards than you are used to it is up to the consumer to be more aware and savvy about their food purchasing and use.

The need to buy frozen food in Luxor has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Even more so when done by people who constantly complain about freezer temperatures/ food defrosted and re-frozen. Surely, or so it would seem to me, it would be better to cut out all tbe middle men - and many of the risks - and buy fresh and seasonal foods. Such foods could then be prepared in your own kitchen and frozen in your own freezer so you know exactly its production and storage history. Of course, that does take a bit of time and effort.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:33 am

Suggesting to MT that he’d be better off buying fresh and freezing at home if necessary is all very well except (as I’m sure he’ll point out in due course) :

a) it’s nigh impossible to find all those delightful European goodies one can’t do without, except in frozen form - so you’d have to survive on a diet of local muck.

b) with the frequent lengthy power cuts you’d be forever chucking out and replacing the contents of your freezer.

He must rue the day he ever set foot in Egypt and wasted so many of his twilight years. :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am

Whilst on a cruise last week it was good to see the rep from Orbital testing the food by prodding it with his thermometer plus asking how salads were washed. I did suggest on a previous post that cruise ships tend to buy cheaper food than hotels, I still stand by this. Food poisoning is usually found in a number of people rather than an individual and would materialise within 24-72 hours. I usually get an upset stomach on these holidays caused possibly by the heat, handling cash or shaking hands regularly (yes I do wash my hands when I get back to the hotel). However I still can’t find out why I get an upset stomach every time.

MT - Please check your spelling it’s taken ages to decipher your posts.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 am

I hardly ever buy anything frozen in Egypt. If I did not happily survive on a diet of local muck, I would probably not have been attracted to stay in North Africa in the first place.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Our frend is with us now, we will try if we can to try and get her into see our Dr. however they are flying on tomorrow to another EU Country. They looked terrible when the got off the plane, but after a couple of hours the colour came back to their face and we could share a laugh. But the draing of colour may have been to Egypt Air failing to put their baggage on the change at Cairo,even though there was a 2.5 hour change over. The woman rep for EgyptAir said that she had seen the luggage but was unable to describe it. What b----y liars. So our friend has no clothes. We will take them out tonight get some food then go late nght shopping to get them underway. We were told that at he Luxor Hospital, they did no tests and even after 5 days had not decided if they had salmonella or e-coli. What! and you think Luxor Hospitals are safe. Whatever it is has killed 5 people already. I never trusted Luxor Hospitals for diagnosing correctly from my own experience, but now I know never to trust them. Its either lack of experience or lack of funding to get roper medication.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Well there is no need for you to trust them is there since you are never likely to use them.
You come out with these allegations MT without providing any proof what so ever. 5 dead? Who and when?
If your friends find it so difficult and distressing living here I suggest they take a leaf out of your book and bugger off. All they ever seem to do is complain you must all be in your element together.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:00 pm

I expect Luxor hospital is used to , and unfazed by, cases of food poisoning.

Most require little in the way of treatment ...maybe fluids for dehydration.

If MT’s friend recovered, and was fit enough to contemplate a series of flights, within 5 days, I think it highly unlikely that anything serious was involved.