Shifting sand.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Shifting sand.

Post by newcastle »

Don’t ya just love that plummy accent. :lol:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Shifting sand.

Post by newcastle »

Shows how that pristine Sphinx, shown in my previous post in this section, was achieved!

I imagine it was a regular problem....what with sandstorms....but I haven’t heard of it being an issue in recent years. Strange.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:30 pm I haven’t heard of it being an issue in recent years. Strange.
I was surprised to see that it was an annual haul, but I guess it must have been necessary since The Sphinx had already been partly covered with sand.

"The Sphinx was actually buried in sand up to its shoulders until the early 1800s, when a Genoese adventurer named Capt. Giovanni Battista Caviglia attempted (and ultimately failed) to dig out the statue with a team of 160 men.

Mariette managed to clear some of the sand from around the sculpture and Baraize made another large excavation push in the 19th and 20th centuries. But it wasn’t until the late 1930s that Egyptian archaeologist Selim Hassan was able to finally free the creature from its sandy tomb."

https://www-history-com.cdn.ampproject. ... #section_6
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Just behind that dream steala is a cave one climbs up then down into this weird excavated cave.
Quite a fascinating experience, as one night I laid on my back looking up the Sphinx's' nose whilst it
being covered in the 'sound & light experience 'pretty trippy really....
Anyhow Nick, told me to stop laughing and climb up as there was the cave,
bit weird really, as I found and felt a lintel down in the soft sand..

We found loads of stuff up on the Giza plateau, places where the tourists never visit....

Who know's ? 'it's a mystery...... to be enjoyed... 8)

Ps: This is slightly before that 'prat in the hat started letting/selling groups drill into the Spinx base,
all funded by his sponsors A.R.E. read, 'rich American Edgar Cayce nutters...

Pss: This story has to be taken in context as that, we were both pi**ed and st*ned that night...
Still a fun story, nevertheless....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

They have been doing it for a long time, for if we are to believe the words on the ‘Dream Stella’ placed there by Tuthmosis IV, he was rewarded for his efforts by being made Pharaoh because in a dream as he slept beneath the head of the Sphinx it asked him to clear away the sand from around it’s body.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Some of those stories really cant be made up, can they ? Even trying to decypher them as metaphores proves tricky..

What amazes me is the presence of all that sand and sea shells in the Sahara.
less like desertification and more like a fall into the ocean, only to rise back up again, sand and all.. Who knows ?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:47 pm
What amazes me is the presenceen of all that sand and sea shells in the Sahara.
You must have been totally flabbergasted by those whale bones then. :lol:

Much of the Sahara was under the sea 50 million years which is why the Giza plateau is largely limestone.

Inevitably, limestone, over time and through the action of rainfall, becomes riddled with caves....a number of which lie below the Sphinx.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The whalebones are what got me TBH. They dont have places specifically set out fro them to die in.
My own suspicion is that the continent rose pretty quickly and the pod got caught up there and perished.

Theres plenty to be found under the Sphinx, many people privvy to that information know that The Lion sysmbol with the ball under its front paw is the clue.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

My own suspicion is that the continent rose pretty quickly and the pod got caught up there and perished.
Or more likely they perished in the sea when that desert was a sea bed and they sunk to the bottom and were covered in sediment which preseved them intact. Later as the sea levels went down or the land rose up, then the desertification took place and the bones were exposed again. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I agree.

Continents do rise and fall.....but not suddenly. :lol:

Tens of millions of years are involved.

As I recall, the whale skeletons in Wadi Al Hitan are of an ancient species....ancestors of modern whales.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Cetaceans are fascinating creatures, probably a bot too esoteric for many though...
Back to the Sahara....
That quantity of sand is just too great. A slow rising of the continent would surely see a large amount of the sand blown back into the ocean ? No ?

We see the Ancinets who apparently are not that old riding about on lush savannahs that no loner exist, and Chariots ( assuming they are not symbolic given that chariots have been found in tombs) are pretty useless on sand.
Maybe they has the ability to terraform the desert in that area into someting more useable ?

They say that a herd of goats left unmanaged could easily desertify a fertile land very quickly if you catch my drift ?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

If you can drag yourself away from ideas of Atlanteans terraforming North Africa whilst riding around on whalebone chariots pulled by goats, the venerable Smithsonian has an explanation for the existence of the Sahara.

And it’s based on evidence and rational scientific deduction.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science/ ... 180952735/
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

There you go again, putting word in my mouth i did not speak.

The Goats were a euphemism which clearly you don't get.

Terraforming is as simple as building and digging waterways like a stream / water ditches / river / lake situation. you have a huge river that could easily provide the necessary water for such a project, and maybe they did ? the sand seems to have buried everything. Given that all the other water is under that huge limestone plateau, then there could have been usable natural or man made cenotes like in south America.

The link does not explain the lush savannah the ancients clearly lived in, nor does is explain the number of people and their associated dwellings and infrastructure necessary to achieve such accomplishments that they made. They could not have all been temple builders priests and Pharaohs could they ?

70% of this world is water, 30 % land, of which only 30% is habitable and yet we have 7 billion people on this earth, it has been estimated that if we could make Africa a living environment then Africa alone could home and sustain 28 Billion people.

Nikolai Tesla had some pretty clever ideas about that.

On the same line of latitude exists a continent that is jungle and very similar terrain to Africa, all the water is underground as is North Africa's, due to the fact they have few mountains if any.
The Desert area between North and South America is very small in comparison and does not have anywhere near as much sand. Now that continent clearly broke away from Africa as the rivers contain the same fish species.

The Great flood story the bible tellers nicked is still with us, a few trips around the Med and Agean sea proves that. Small islands off the Turkish coats densely populated with houses and streets for obvious reasons, because they would not build on the useable farmland in the lowlands, plus the small mountain tops would be cooler. The farming lowlands now a hundred of feet below the sea. Probably about the same time as the Ancients disappeared. ?

I still maintain a catastrophic event hit the African continent and the surrounding areas, wiping out a very advanced world. Not that Academia is going to tell us that while we get stolen re told manipulated stories combined into a religion or three to dumb us down. But then I guess they and their followers know no better either..
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I still maintain a catastrophic event hit the African continent and the surrounding areas, wiping out a very advanced world. Not that Academia is going to tell us that while we get stolen re told manipulated stories combined into a religion or three to dumb us down. But then I guess they and their followers know no better either..
There you go again....proving my point that the ignorant and uneducated will always prefer a fairy story, without a shred of evidence, to rational evidence based science.

The fact that YOU don’t understand a scientific explanation ( assuming you read the link - which I doubt) is not evidence that it’s untrue!

Academia doesn’t need to dumb you down. :)))