WARNING - The £ sterling notes.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

WARNING - The £ sterling notes.

Post by A-Four »

The governor of the Bank of England has just announced that Alan Turing the brilliant code breaker of World War ll fame at Bletchley Park will be the new face of the £50 note, and will be of the 'plastic' type rather than paper.

What he did not give reference to, and I can understand why, is that the present day £20 note is to be very SWIFTLY withdrawn in 2020. The reason why I am pointing this out is that people who live in what we call 'Mickey Mounce' countries, should always keep in reserve at least £1,000, just in case the you know what hits the 'fan'. My advise is change your sterling into £10 notes as soon as possible.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: WARNING - The £ sterling notes.

Post by newcastle »

I thought Turing adorned the 9 bob note. ;)

The suggestion that there will no longer be a £20 note in 2020 is pure bunkum.

The note may change its design and composition and will gradually replace the current notes....in the usual fashion.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

To be clear....the current £20 note will , at a yet to be determined date in 2020, be replaced by the issue of a slightly smaller polymer version bearing a design featuring J.M.W. Turner.

The “old” £20 notes will remain legal tender until a yet to be determined date.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

What A-Four fails to mention is that the £20 note is not disappearing altogether, it is just being re-issued as is common Bank of England practice.

It only takes a quick search of the Bank of England website to ascertain the facts.

Overview
We first issued our current £20 note on 13 March 2007. We will replace it with a new polymer £20 note in the first half of 2020.

You will be able to use the current £20 note until we withdraw it from circulation. We will announce the withdrawal date after we have issued our new £20 note. We will give at least three months’ notice of this withdrawal date.

Many banks will accept withdrawn notes as deposits from customers. The Post Office may also accept withdrawn notes as payment for goods and services, or as a deposit into any bank account you can access at the Post Office. And, you can always exchange withdrawn notes with us.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/20-pound-note
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Don't forget that many banks and other places won't accept the current £50 notes as they think they are forgeries. I can't imagine what they would think when they find out that Alan Turing was gay!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:21 pm What A-Four fails to mention is that
Sometimes I really do get irritated by one or two members on this site, who simply look at a website and believe everything. The Bank of England or any other similar organised, are not going to write up any help to aid people who have huge amounts of £20 notes to launder, or enlighten those that are holding millions of £20 notes that are fake. Major retailers in the U.K., especially London and the South East, have already received notification of the Bank's 'special' plans.

With regards to my initial post, I have simply warned those lucky people who tend to leave the U.K. throughout the winter season (Sept - April) who usually take at least £1,000 per person in sterling for the obvious reason I have pointed out. I have suggested the best notes to carry are the £10 notes.

I do know that the £50 note is not easily exchanged abroad, as crewmeal above so kindly points out.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:28 pm
HEPZIBAH wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:21 pm What A-Four fails to mention is that
Sometimes I really do get irritated by one or two members on this site, ...
Yes, so do I.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

“The Bank of England or any other similar organised, are not going to write up any help to aid people who have huge amounts of £20 notes to launder, or enlighten those that are holding millions of £20 notes that are fake”

Alas....not a problem I am likely to face.

Or anyone else on this forum, I’d have thought. :lol:

P.S. Although ....if Keefy’s millions are still buried on the West Bank....

“Major retailers in the U.K., especially London and the South East, have already received notification of the Bank's 'special' plans”......shhhh....it’s a secret. :urm:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

W here have ATM Machines that the smallest denomination note is 20€ and 50€. With what is happening to the £ and its low value compared to other currancies, I think it will change and 50£ notes will soon be the order of the day. However the £ against the € and other currencies may well change when the UK gets a new leader and confidence returns. I mean what can you purchase with a £20 note, not alot. When a tourist I only took around £100 in cash with me, plus travellers cheques and my debit card. So A4 may well be correct about changing £20 notes to ther denominations.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

On Radio 4 they have puzzle of the day, you can always count on MT to give us ours.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: I was just trying to figure out his latest post, I have read it three times. :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 am :lol: :lol: I was just trying to figure out his latest post, I have read it three times. :lol:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I read it early this morning and, after a few attempts, gave up.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A few attempts..,??

After muddling £ and € , misspelling “currancies” (sic) and the appalling syntax, I failed to make it to the end the first time.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Newcastle, I only persevered in order to help prepare me for the rest of the day. I spend a lot of my working life with people for which English is not their first language. This means that I regularly have to unravel a lot of international linguistic gobbledegook. That, I often find much easier than mentally transcribing posts from someone who is believed to have English as their first language, and who also has the audacity to regularly complain about others not being educated.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:tk
Some people start their day with a cup of tea and The Times crossword.
I start my day with a glass of water and Luxor4U.
:stp
Perhaps it's time I adjusted my ways.
:)
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:48 am is that the present day £20 note is to be very SWIFTLY withdrawn in 2020.
I can not understand why some people seem to think that I have said there will be no future £20 notes. I live in the City of London, I come into contact with friends who work there, they know I often spend the winter out of the U.K., and a certain person advised me on what is expected to happen to the PRESENT DAY PAPER £20 quite early next year.

My wish was then to simply pass on such information. Today I look at what my initial post has created, it's not good. Only until quite recently have I become aware after many years that I now know who ever gives me a 'thanks' for my post, in this case it was 5 Star, a person who has not posted for years. I dread to think what that person thinks of some of the contributors, if that is the right word, to this PRESENT DAY FORUM.

Sometimes on this forum there are a few interesting posts, but unfortunately I still, after many years, do not have the facility to 'thank' the few members that offer their own knowledge. :wi .
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:22 am W here have ATM Machines that the smallest denomination note is 20€ and 50€. With what is happening to the £ and its low value compared to other currancies, I think it will change and 50£ notes will soon be the order of the day. However the £ against the € and other currencies may well change when the UK gets a new leader and confidence returns. I mean what can you purchase with a £20 note, not alot. When a tourist I only took around £100 in cash with me, plus travellers cheques and my debit card. So A4 may well be correct about changing £20 notes to ther denominations.
I'm sure like me MT you remember when the old bank card that covered cheques for a limit of £50, it never changed, my bank allowed me to take £500 per day out of a machine. I once got a fake £20 out of one of those things, I now go direct to my bank and always get new sealed packed ones sent out through the Bank of England.

Please be careful about the 500 Euro note, although many believe they are no longer produced, they are in Germany and Austria, but most of Europe don't even want to know them. If any British person want to change them in the U.K. the amount has to be deposited into THEIR own bank account. This is the same method that will soon apply to any one wishing to change a large quantity of the old £20 notes, rather than the bank teller waste time checking each one. 'Smart' people who are now holding millions of fake £20 are attempting to flood London and the South-East with these things.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

A-Four wrote: Sometimes on this forum there are a few interesting posts, but unfortunately I still, after many years, do not have the facility to 'thank' the few members that offer their own knowledge. :wi .
According to the Thanks top list you have thanked members 1500+ times, so the above quote can't be true?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

DJKeefy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 pm
A-Four wrote: Sometimes on this forum there are a few interesting posts, but unfortunately I still, after many years, do not have the facility to 'thank' the few members that offer their own knowledge. :wi .
According to the Thanks top list you have thanked members 1500+ times, so the above quote can't be true?
I was just trying to see if I could find the post of mine that A-Four gave a thanks to, in the not too distant past. I remember it because I was so surprised to receive it, although realise it could have been made by mistake.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

DJKeefy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 pm
On this forum I am not able to see thanks given to anyone including myself, I am not able to offer thanks, and further more I have not be able to send even a PM for years also, so have no idea where such results are coming from. Until now this has never bothered me

Further to this I certainly do not read a certain persons comments, and again have not for a long time, though I am sure that person has yet to realise that, and had other done likewise there would be a greater amount of active members on here today.

I think Horus has a good idea who I am on about here. :wi .