Work Resumes on the Avenue of the Rams

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Has anyone (Dusak?) noticed any sign of work? Has the issue of the third bridge been resolved?

(via Google Translate)

At a cost of nearly £ 400 million (about $ 8 million), Egypt became an appointment with the detection and and of the road of parades of old goodness (known as the road of rams ạlfrʿwny̱) which had the minds of many ancient and scientists Egyptology is a close dream.
Tourists from the visitors of the city of Luxor, rich in the abed and tombs of kings, Queens and nobles of ancient Egypt, before the end of the year, will be able to walk between the landmarks of the
Officials of the Egyptian Antiquities sector said to the German news agency (D). B. A), Tuesday, the Egyptian authorities have started rebuilding mosques, churches and relocation of dozens of homes all over the historic path of the road, as part of the richest project that is the largest of its kind in the middle east region, which was started by the Egyptian government before Years ago.
Officials added that the project aims to transform the city of luxor into the largest open museum in the world, with the removal of mosques and the reconstruction of alternative mosques over the past years.
According to officials, it was decided to establish two new churches in the heart of the city of Luxor, in preparation for the transfer of the two realities over the path of rams pharaonic, by agreement between the authorities of the governorate of Luxor, Orthodox

Carpe diem! :le:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Work Resumes on the Avenue of the Rams

Post by DJKeefy »

I suppose with that amount of money they can compensate and re home the poor Egyptians who had their homes destroyed to please the tourists with the largest open museum in the world, a place soon without any character left in it :(

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40196
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The third bridge has been canceled. I knew nothing about the demolition until this morning, roads still closed, demolitions continue, local folk angry on the streets. It is being said locally that this is pay back time because the vast majority of people able to vote in Karnak and Luxor did not vote. I know many that refused to vote.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Now why should they be compensated for the loss of their homes? They are being given new homes, mosques and churches. Where and when no one knows but what does that matter. It's more important that the tourists can walk along an avenue of concrete plinths.
Stan and I went to see Samir Farag years ago and were given a CD with all the plans for Luxor up until 2030, I have no idea what happened to it but I know we both watched it with increasing dismay.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

@carrie: Indeed. I can't imagine much of this money will end in the pockets of the locals.

@Dusak: I have seen photos on Facebook of current demolitions, apparently of illegal builds in the area fr excavation. There was much discussion on Facebook about meetings for agitation for the third bridge at the end of last year, but nothing since then.
Carpe diem! :le:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I can't see how these are illegal builds, most of the houses they pulled down look 100+ years old, there were certainly there when i first went nearly 30 years ago..
I also can not see why it would stop tourists walking down the Avenue of rams, there was a good space and road between the avenue of rams and the houses.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

They just don't want Egyptians living in the center of Luxor. Ship em all out to the desert somewhere. A friend has had notification that his home is to be pulled down . Walking through the Egyptian souk from Juseph Hassen there are loads of homes on the right hand side, leading up to the wall which protects the railway line. All those houses are to be pulled down. They are not illegal builds they have been there for at least 70 years. Now that area has nothing to do with the Avenue of the Rams so what other reason could there be for demolishing them but that Egyptians are unwelcome littering the place up with their homes.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

A Friend of mine who also lost his home maybe 10 years or so ago to the avenue of sphinxes project told me of some very interesting finds he made while he was digging about in his basement, as you do.... 8)

( One of the reasons the West Bank was cleared out, up by Nobles Valley )

It does seem to be a fascination throughout the ages, Humans tunneling underground for one reason or another. Some easily explainable, others not so much..

While I was in Rome, they say the Christians created catacombs to escape persecution, though when I was in Malta, it was hard to see why the labrynth of tunnels existed there. I visite the hypogeum on the way home one time, and the ceiling had a very interesting spiral shape.

Anyhow, my mate said he was not adequately compensated for his house on the East Bank, having just paid 80,000 LE for it after getting married. Wether that is true or not I cant say... :tk
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When they widened Station Street and Manchia they pulled down loads of shops and homes none of whom where adequately compensated. Fair enough a lot of the businesses had been cheating on their taxes by declaring that there income was much lower than it had actually been and therefore were compensated on that declared basis but the people who rented their homes got almost nothing and the owners very little.

I feel so sorry for everyone, after the revolution (Mubarak) there was such a positive anticipation of things changing and getting better for the average Egyptian. Such faith in the future. Now all that has dissipated and hope gone replaced by a desperate desire just to earn enough to live.