Brexit

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Brexit

Post by Horus »

Here's your opportunity to make your views known and sign the petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... W9YgjFs2bg

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Horus wrote:Here's your opportunity to make your views known and sign the petition
...and (just for balance) here's your opportunity to make your views known and sign a massively more popular petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
Horus wrote:Here's your opportunity to make your views known and sign the petition
...and (just for balance) here's your opportunity to make your views known and sign a massively more popular petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
Problem there FF, is that this is overriding the democratic process. the vote was to leave the EU, not stay in.. Basically that is playing right into the hands of Government by signing that petition ?

This show sham is a long way from being over, and it is not going to end with the UK staying or leaving the EU.... ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You forget, FF, that in the logic of leavers, you’re not allowed to change your mind let alone express contrary views :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:You forget, FF, that in the logic of leavers, you’re not allowed to change your mind let alone express contrary views :lol:
And in the logic of Remoaners you just keep moving the goal posts until you get the result you wanted 8)
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

You could always strip off to show your anger in the Commons

https://news.sky.com/story/protesters-s ... e-11681629
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
newcastle wrote:You forget, FF, that in the logic of leavers, you’re not allowed to change your mind let alone express contrary views :lol:
And in the logic of Remoaners you just keep moving the goal posts until you get the result you wanted 8)
:a84:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
Horus wrote:
:a84:
:a23: :a11:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The problem is from what I recall is the Remainers had no valid or persuasive arguments to present, and while many things are true about the arguments presented for leaving, those who voted to leave we branded as stupid ignorant racists, which was not the case.
This has been bubbling away since we joined, and the politico refused to listen to the concerns people had about the EU, and failed to act, so as a result this was a big persuader for the leavers to vote to get out.
Had the politico addressed the concerns of the British people and acted upon them, it would never have come to this.

Now as usual, the politico leave the masses fighting each other on the ground, and all I would say, if I have not said it before,is that it is the duty of everyone to ensure the democratic process is upheld and this is the time for the leavers and the remainers to stand together.

Of course you have to remember its taken 3 years to get to this stage, and how far have the politico got us ? and did anyone really think there would be a last minute deal after 3 years of so called negotiations ?
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

John Landon wrote:many things are true about the arguments presented for leaving
Many are. But then, there was the biggest, boldest, most shame-faced lie of the entire campaign. A lie so effective that without it, the leave campaign would almost certainly not have won.

Dominic Cummings, campaign director for Vote Leave, admitted this. "Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No.

https://www.indy100.com/article/voted-b ... ng-7568381
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

What about all the ‘expert’ predictions from the Remain side? Their lies pale into insignificance compared to one advert on the side of a coach;

● Former Health Minister Stephen Dorrell claimed Brexit would “undermine” funding for the NHS. Theresa May recently announced a £20bn boost to the NHS’s budget, partly paid for by reduced contributions to the European Union after Brexit, actually more than what was on the side of a bus.
● City economists had predicted an immediate rise in the claimant count measure of unemployment, that never happened, quite the contrary, employment has risen.
● George Osborne’s remainer Treasury infamously predicted a loss of 500,000 jobs after the Brexit vote. In reality, unemployment is at the lowest rate since 1975.
● JP Morgan just after the Brexit vote claimed Scotland would leave the United Kingdom and get a new currency. Support for Scottish Independence is 12 points behind support for the Union.
● The former Chancellor also claimed there would be an emergency budget with higher taxes and borrowing, he was later sacked by Theresa May and no such budget was introduced.
● According to European Council President Donald Tusk Brexit could “be the beginning of the destruction of not only the EU but also Western political civilization in its entirety,”. Civilisation remains intact.
● The IMF claimed Brexit would lead to a recession but since the vote, Britain’s GDP has grown in every quarter.
● A new world war was predicted by David Cameron, who claimed “Can we be so sure that peace and stability on our Continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking? I would never be so rash as to make that assumption.”
● Former US President Barack Obama warned Britain would be at the “back of the queue” for a trade deal. Donald Trump has confirmed this is far from the case.
Then we have the previous ‘experts’ advice that leaving the ERM would be a disaster, we have thrived ever since and of course the dour predictions of doom and gloom if we did not join the Euro, all proved to be wrong.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

If you read the lettering closely on that bus, it does not state that the 350 million we pay in to the EU each week IS going to be spent on the NHS, it merely suggests that is what could be done.

Sorry, the leavers were not that stupid to beLIEve the politico, but they probably did want to keep the 350 Million in this county regardless.

Anyway, the fat lady aint singing just yet... 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I can honestly say that everyone I have had conversation with over the whole Brexit debacle, and who voted Remain, have all said that whilst they didn't agree with Exit it was a democratic decision to leave so leave means leave. They have been less happy over the process - but I think ardent Brexiteers have struggled with that too.
What I don't understand is why the preliminary negotiations could not have been done earlier, and behind closed doors if necessary. The powers that be should then have been able to bring to the country clear guidelines and consequences before any voting took place.

The whole thing is a costly sham and there can only be losers all round because it wasn't handled properly in the first place. David Cameron has a lot to answer for too.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
John Landon wrote:many things are true about the arguments presented for leaving
Many are. But then, there was the biggest, boldest, most shame-faced lie of the entire campaign. A lie so effective that without it, the leave campaign would almost certainly not have won.

Dominic Cummings, campaign director for Vote Leave, admitted this. "Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No.

https://www.indy100.com/article/voted-b ... ng-7568381
You might have mentioned the gross breach of electoral finance rules, for which Vote Leave have been found guilty and are not appealing. - nor even apologising. Still, like the bus, it may not have altered the result.

It’s funny how the leave camp , bleating constantly about democracy, are not too keen on any new vote, or any deal being subject to ratification by the plebs.

Could it be for the reason that most opinion polls have, for the last year, shown remain well ahead of leave?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well I for one am pretty sure that our treacherous MPs the majority of whom stood on a platform that supported Brexit have now made such a mess of everything and used every trick in the book including a very biased Speaker to achieve their ends and reverse the democratic decision to leave the EU and that we will at best get some watered down version that will be leave in name only.

I have reached a point in not really caring anymore and a feeling of schadenfreude when all the chickens come to roost on the Remoaners shoulders. All the ‘snowflakes’ will be complaining when the EU jackboot is on the neck of the UK and all the right wing groups on the rise in Europe drag us down with them. With any luck we will also get Mr Corbyn in power with his profligate financial plans one of which I will hopefully benefit by should he hike up the old age pensions, if my vote counts for nothing then I may as well dip my bread at any opportunity and vote for greed as opposed to the greater good.

All of these concerned business people getting hammered with higher tax rates and as usual causing high unemployment as Labour go on a spending spree and the economy declines with the country ending up in more debt than ever, it has always been the case so good luck with that one. As for myself, well I am nicely padded for the rest of my life regardless, so sitting in my conservatory watching it all fall around the Remoaners ears will probably keep me amused for quite a few years yet. Vote Labour, vote National Front, vote Raving Looney Party, vote UKIP, vote for the new Brexit party, send lots of anti EU MEPs to Europe then maybe your vote will start to mean something.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

John Landon wrote:If you read the lettering closely on that bus, it does not state that the 350 million we pay in to the EU each week IS going to be spent on the NHS, it merely suggests that is what could be done.
Nice try. Not only is the implication on the bus quite clear, Vote Leave distributed leaflets explicitly stating that the NHS would receive the money.
John Landon wrote:Sorry, the leavers were not that stupid to beLIEve the politico
Clearly some of them were.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Horus wrote:What about all the ‘expert’ predictions from the Remain side? Their lies pale into insignificance compared to one advert on the side of a coach.
I absolutely agree, but I have a distinct feeling that's not what you meant to say ;)
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Horus wrote:our treacherous MPs the majority of whom stood on a platform that supported Brexit
Nope...

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A few more home truths from inside the EU
phpBB [video]
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
Horus wrote:our treacherous MPs the majority of whom stood on a platform that supported Brexit
Nope...

I suspect Horus meant the platform of the 2017 General Election where both the main parties included support for Brexit in their manifestos.

A classic example of politicians swallowing their remain principles for what they thought the electorate wanted to hear.

Hoist by their own petard springs to mind.

Few of them espoused Edmund Burke’s view of an elected politician not being bound by the views of his constituents but able to vote for what he genuinely considered the best interests of the country as whole - hence the mess we now perceive.