Brexit

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Brexit

Post by Winged Isis »

I'm not taking much notice, however, the best comment I've heard is the following (from memory, so not exact).

Man interviewed on the street: "It like when you're at a great nightclub and a friend convinces you to leave for another one, but they won't let you in, and so you're stuck eating kebabs in the street."

Better stock up on antacids, folks.

Carpe diem! :le:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

So Theresa May has decided to go if and when Brexit goes through. Now who would you like to replace her and why?

Not that Baffon Boris. He screwed up as Foreign Secretary when he contributed to Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe's extended sentence.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Odd that every county given the vote has decided to leave,
One thing is for sure, once the British has gone through the blood bath of getting out of the E.U., the die is cast, the blue print is set, and it certainly will take less time for other countries to leave in the future. With regards to whether they are in the Euro, well anyone with the slightest knowledge know this is the old Bundesbank, one old has to ask Norman Lamont about that.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I am sure many will remember the days of the old Common Market, which was the only previous vote by Joe public, the butter mountains and wine lakes I'm sure many on here will remember,.........well actually they are still with us.

A dear old friend who lives north of Athens, has several olive groves, he was instructed by the E.U. Not to 'grow' olives for the next three years. How do you stop a tree producing fruit, so the E.U. pay him not to grow, he now sells them locally without paying tax, a double win for him,.........what a joke.

This year 40% of the full total income of the E.U. being €63,877,000,000 was spent on subsidies to agriculture and fisheries, all that so that the general public pay a set European price, that never fluctuates,.....in other words, never goes down.

P.S. - Do you ever hear of olives being sold cheap when in season ?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

With the DUP saying they can’t support May deal I think Theresa won’t be leaving No 10 anytime soon. :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Back in the mid 70's all the farmers living in my area said the common market was a bad idea for the very reasons you laid out A-Four.
And of course, we cannot buy from the 3rd world countries much more cheaply due to strict EU legislation.

IF, as we run through the darkened corridors towards the Exit, and if we ever get past the Night Man who tells us we can check out any time you like, but you can never leave,
The UK Must start dealing with the Far East and North Africa where the East is already trading, because the next Empire or Super Power as they are referred to these days will rise from that direction.
The Age of Empires that began in the Sahara and has over the Millennia migrated West has no where left to go in the West, and ALL empires fail in the end, due to the very nature of an Empire.

But, the times they are a changing, I wont be here to see all those changes complete, but inside of 50 - 60 years, the transformation of the human way of life on this planet will have changed beyond recognition.

Thank god that those inept puppets you think rule this world do not....

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

A-Four wrote:I am sure many will remember the days of the old Common Market, which was the only previous vote by Joe public, the butter mountains and wine lakes I'm sure many on here will remember,.........well actually they are still with us.

A dear old friend who lives north of Athens, has several olive groves, he was instructed by the E.U. Not to 'grow' olives for the next three years. How do you stop a tree producing fruit, so the E.U. pay him not to grow, he now sells them locally without paying tax, a double win for him,.........what a joke.

This year 40% of the full total income of the E.U. being €63,877,000,000 was spent on subsidies to agriculture and fisheries, all that so that the general public pay a set European price, that never fluctuates,.....in other words, never goes down.

P.S. - Do you ever hear of olives being sold cheap when in season ?
I tried hard to give you a like tick but there seems to be a glitch. anyway A4 totally agree with you.

I lived in deepest Kent and had friends who had productive orchards - after joining the EU they had to bin at least one crop without any kind of compensation. Being paid not to produce is soul destroying for a farmer. Then of course there was the limit on milk production whole herds were slaughtered because it was illegal to sell the milk for which there was a local market. When farmers got rid of their herds their herds they received a nominal payment, but were not allowed even to keep a house cow for their own use.

We had a thriving market with lamb being sent to the continent, the French still continued to block the roads and burn lorries full of animals in protest. They also interfered with the Italian importation of wine after Brexit because they could!
Last edited by Mad Dilys on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Your 'like' is showing MD :up
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Never should have joined in the 1st place, at least the Bank of England never fell for it, thank God... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: at least the Bank of England never fell for it, thank God... 8)
I've just splerted out mi cornflakes here, my dear Dr.

Let me take you back to 16th September 1992, Black Wednesday, as it was called. Up until that day the Bank of England was instructed to 'shadow' the € under what was called the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM), with the general acceptance by John Major for the £ to change to the € at what was called 'the appropriate time'.

The likes of George Soros and others, knew that the Bank could not continue to 'buck the market', John Major told Lamont to contact the European Central Bank to support the £ through this tricky period. While the £ was crashing through the floor, Lamont telephoned Frankfurt to be told that there was no one available to take his call. (FACT).

Later that day the U.K. crashed out of the ERM, interest rates went up to 15%. From that day onwards a rule was set, no British Prime Minister would ever allow another ERM. In the international financial world since then, the ECB is always called the Bundesbank.

The Bank of England would have loved us to join the €, it would have given them independence from government policy. It was not until the brilliant financial mind of Gorden Brown, who totally astonished the banking world in giving the Bank exactly the indepencance it required.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"Have we left yet ?..... 8)
'bagettes, hairy birds & gaulois.....I love Paris in the ---'ing time all the time....
"Oh Yeh! and the best ever 'merguez couscous @ Le Mechoui du Prince... 8)
Ps: And you only use the right hand....So not too many sinisters/southpaws...
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Everytime Mark Carney (Governor of the Bank of England in case many of you who don't know his name) opens his mouth and down plays the UK in some form the pound falls to a new low.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We went to War not once but twice to stop the Bundesbank from controlling our financial institutions...
If my mascinations are correct!........ 8)
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

crewmeal wrote:Everytime Mark Carney (Governor of the Bank of England in case many of you who don't know his name) opens his mouth and down plays the UK in some form the pound falls to a new low.
Well that's not really true, a Governor of the Bank of England plays a clever game with the £, yes it is for the benefit of the establishment and business quite often, but he also knows he has to be cautious about failing the masses, so I would not bother too much about minor floatations of the £.

Now, if I was the finance minister in France, I would have very little power today, my interest rates would be fixed, I could not stimulate the market, I would have limited resources to invest in the infrastructure. I would have no measure to stimulate help for the masses. It is then possible that I have a president who's only wish is to get re-elected, therefore increase tax, to give away just before an election,.........that is exactly state of play in France today.

This past week end I was in Nice, and there on the streets were fully armed soldiers, at the time I thought it strange, but the Chinesse President was there, but soon learnt that this was so throughout the whole of France. The French army had been put on the streets of France, under Western democracy this is quite un-thinkable in such a county.

The ordinary citizen of France is suffering with the huge cost of living,.....Macron has to be carefully,.........he may soon have to beg The Bundesbank for a bail out,........now where have we heard that before.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Good Lord it's Friday and we haven't left them Europeans yet !....... Surprised ? "Hardly Yardley"..ffs

The 'b*stards in our Parliament don't want us to leave, including JC who really want's to leave but, doesn't want to tell anybody.
A deal ? there never ever could be a deal with Europeans they love us and hate us as we love their wine & cheeses.
But the locals ? forget get-it.... 'hairy armpits, garlic oh! and crabs.... 8)
A Dr's view......of Europe,
I lived over there for a bit, had businesses, caught a dose, even bought a Alpine Renault...but it's Europe! Over there!
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

The French have never forgiven us for Agincourt. :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

The French have never forgiven us for Agincourt. :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote:The French have never forgiven us for Agincourt. :lol:
Or comming to their aid in two world wars, the second one caused by their insistance on punishing Germany with the Treaty of Versailles, sound familiar?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Take a look at 2 years ago, no wonder we don't trust our MPs 8)
https://www.facebook.com/raheemkassam/v ... 346364294/
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Very true Horus. I won't be voting anymore as I don't trust any of them. They're simply there to feather their own nests. Most earn over £100k a year by hook or by crook.

At least the good people of Beaconsfield are doing something about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eld-tories

To prove my point as an example of liars.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ing-ticket

She only served a couple of weeks before she was let out to spew more lies.