Ancient Sphinx Discovered at Kom Ombo

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Ancient Sphinx Discovered at Kom Ombo

Post by Winged Isis »

Ancient sphinx discovered in Egypt, archaeologists reveal
17 September 2018 — 2:10pm

A sphinx has been discovered in the Temple of Kom Ombo in Aswan, the Egyptian Antiquities Ministry said on Sunday.

The Antiquities Ministry said on Sunday the sphinx, made of sandstone, was found in the Temple of Kom Ombo during work to protect the site from groundwater.

Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities said the statue probably dates back to the Ptolemaic time because two engraved sandstone reliefs of King Ptolemy V were two months ago at the south-eastern side of the temple.

The Ptolemaic dynasty ruled Egypt for about 300 years - from about 320BC until the Roman conquest in 30BC.

Egypt hopes such discoveries will spur tourism, partially driven by antiquities sightseeing, which was hit hard by political turmoil following the 2011 uprising.

In February, Waziri announced that archaeologists had discovered a 4400-year-old tomb near Cairo that contains rare wall paintings and is believed to have belonged to a high-ranking Egyptian priestess named Hetpet.

Photo here: https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-eas ... 5049h.html

Carpe diem! :le:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Ancient Sphinx Discovered at Kom Ombo

Post by Winged Isis »

Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

'Be Honest here....
It's not really 'ground shattering news really, is it ?
Can't really see the tourists all rushing down to Kom Ombo, personally my fav temple.
I mean there's loads down that No road in Luxor, sfffinxxs coming out of our ears.
Iv'e probably got one in my back garden... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Winged Isis wrote: Egypt hopes such discoveries will spur tourism, partially driven by antiquities sightseeing, which was hit hard by political turmoil following the 2011 uprising.
For some unknown reason I cant help thinking when I hear of new finds that the present day Egyptians have made them and placing them in different spots to pass off as antiquities, or maybe they are from the thousands of unregistered antiquities that were stored at Cairo and maybe other museums :ni: I wonder why I think that way :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:
Winged Isis wrote: Egypt hopes such discoveries will spur tourism, partially driven by antiquities sightseeing, which was hit hard by political turmoil following the 2011 uprising.
For some unknown reason I cant help thinking when I hear of new finds that the present day Egyptians have made them and placing them in different spots to pass off as antiquities, or maybe they are from the thousands of unregistered antiquities that were stored at Cairo and maybe other museums :ni: I wonder why I think that way :lol:
Far fetched...but who knows? :lol:

What gets me is the idea that tourists will come a-flocking to Egypt simply to see yet another sphinx, a load of old pots and mummy wrappings or any other of the recent discoveries. They are of interest to serious archaeologists only.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

newcastle wrote: Far fetched...but who knows? :lol:
I can not remember exactly when but it must be over 10 years ago, around 4am on the west bank, I was on my motorbike and I stopped to have a cigarette near some monument, near this was a huge lorry with a load of huge stone blocks and what looked like statues, there was lots of guys there who I presume was workers, I remember thinking how are they going to move such large heavy items from the lorry to wherever they needed to put them.

So what did I see, was it the genuine stuff that had been taken away to restore then taken back to the site? or was it fake stuff that was used to build up part of the structure already there?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:
newcastle wrote: Far fetched...but who knows? :lol:
I can not remember exactly when but it must be over 10 years ago, around 4am on the west bank, I was on my motorbike and I stopped to have a cigarette near some monument, near this was a huge lorry with a load of huge stone blocks and what looked like statues, there was lots of guys there who I presume was workers, I remember thinking how are they going to move such large heavy items from the lorry to wherever they needed to put them.

So what did I see, was it the genuine stuff that had been taken away to restore then taken back to the site? or was it fake stuff that was used to build up part of the structure already there?
At the back of my mind is a story about visiting dignitories "discovering" some pre-planted artifact or other when on a conducted tour of the West bank...or was it Sakarra?

Possibly King Farouk or his pals? Early 20th century? It'll come to me....

So "seeding" of sites with artefacts is a possibility :lol: