"Wild Boars" On Their Way to Safety!

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

"Wild Boars" On Their Way to Safety!

Post by Winged Isis »

'The 4th wild boar is out of the cave'
By Josh Dye
The official Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page has confirmed the fourth boy has been safely taken from the cave.

This is excellent news, and we only hope and pray the good news continues into the night.Thai cave rescue: First boys freed by rescue divers, officials say

At least two members of the trapped boys' soccer team have been rescued from a cave in northern Thailand, local officials say.

The Reuters news agency, citing a senior member of the rescue team, has reported at least six boys have left the cave.

However the Thai navy SEALS say four boys have been taken out, according to AP.

Two of the boys have now reportedly arrived at hospital.

Divers had earlier launched a daring and dangerous mission to rescue the children and their soccer coach, who had been trapped underground for more than two weeks.

"Two kids are out. They are currently at the field hospital near the cave," Tossathep Boonthong, chief of the health department in Chiang Rai in northern Thailand, told Reuters.

"We are giving them a physical examination."

God bless all involved for their continued success.

Carpe diem! :le:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: "Wild Boars" On Their Way to Safety!

Post by Horus »

They will continue in about 10 hours time as it takes that long to get set up again, two more groups of three children and a final group of two children and the coach, so we may be looking at 2 more days, fingers crossed that they are all rescued safely. :up
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It has been perfectly planned and all credit to the divers, the plan is for the child to be tethered to a lead diver who will control the Oxygen tanks that he will be carrying and not the child. A tube will connect to the childs full face mask plus a communications link so they can talk to the child and no doubt reasure them. Behind those two will be another diver to ensure everything is going to plan, this will need to be done for each child and adult. I am extremely proud of the involvement of UK divers on this team.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

My mate 'big nose was a Royal Navy Diver, whilst I was just a common or garden Salvage Diver, working for
Eurosalve Folkestone.
It can be pretty sh*t when you can't see or feel anything and the pressure is compressing, so it's really great to hear those
kids crawled those tunnels.
It resembles the 'fear of 'waterboarding, it's all down to controlled breathing, I learnt in a bath tub..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I used to do caving as a hobby and technically I am still on a UK cave rescue team, but I would hate to have to be in the position of those small boys, it must be a nightmarish challenge for them to undertake, thank whichever god you like for those rescue divers and their backup teams, heroes every one. :up
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The boys' coach is a former monk who has been helping them meditate throughout their ordeal.

Many Aussie Defence Force members are among the international helpers. We are especially proud of the 8 expert divers involved in bringing out the team, including Richard Harris, the doctor assessing their health.

Above all, it's so wonderful to see the way humans can come together, whatever their nationality, race and beliefs, to help others so quickly and co-operatively. Plus the locals providing free food etc. to the rescuers. I imagine it's no surprise to cavers, as it is obviously a pursuit which relies on it for survival.

It's moments like these that restore one's faith in humanity, despite the horrors we see elsewhere that can make it difficult to imagine a better future.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Every country should be proud of their experts that have offered their services and risked their lives to save these young lads, not to forget the Thai diver who has already died in the attempt, as I said previously, all are heroes.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The geography teacher at school was a caver, so every so often he would take us all over the place in the school bus on a Sunday to go exploring, and even though these cave experiences were easy ones, for young boys they were incredibly exciting and if you came across a tight passageway you were told not to venture into, childhood curiosity overcame that command, hence three of us got jammed on a descending turn and had to be dragged out feet first. The three of us were then banned from any future trips for disobeying the rules. And that is what caving is all about, rules, awareness and common sense. Knowing that the area was on the verge of the typhoon season, and every one familiar with the consequences of flash floods, it was an unwise decision for the lads coach to take them in in the first place. Hopefully all will be rescued safely, but up till now, that brash decision has cost the life of a man, a tragedy that this young coach will have to live with for the rest of his life. Let the world hope and prey that the tally doesn't get any higher.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As you say Dusak caving can be a highly dangerous activity if done by amateurs, in the past we have had to rescue people dressed in ordinary clothing with no proper equipment and carrying a flash light torch and they have been deep inside a cave system, there have also been highly experienced cavers who have come unstuck. We even had some university types who thought it was good idea to crawl up an old mine adit that drained water away and the roof collapsed in behind them trapping all but one of them, we got them all out and it became the subject of a television series called ‘999 rescue’ which we were actually paid to re-enact. Many caves in the UK are what we call ‘show caves’ and the public only gets to visit the safe and easy part of the system. Most are relatively dry, but all if not most have water running through them at floor level as that is how they are or were formed over thousands of years, we even have several in the UK that are subject to flooding if the weather turns bad outside, so great care and preparation is needed before entering.

I don’t know enough about this cave system, but like most others there are probably many branches, dead ends and flooded sections and impossibly narrow parts to negotiate, but without the water it is probably an easy enough walk in and out of the main section. The fact that there are places inside described as ‘beaches’ should indicate that a lot of sediment filled water passes through the system and remains long enough to settle out and being so remote it would seem a pretty dangerous place to go without guidance or experienced people. No doubt it was seen as just an adventure by the coach and boys and the easy access to the system will have negated the danger should the monsoon rains start. I feel pretty confident that if there are no mishaps they will get them all out safely, lets just hope so. :)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Diving is one thing I enjoyed it, but Cave diving ? One has to-be slightly mad with a sort of inbuilt death-wish.
Years ago, I nearly died I was only 20ft from the surface, when I finally cut my way out of a disentangled fishing net
reaching the surface gulping air to be met with "what the f*** have you been doing all this time ?
Diving needs things like this, not ruddy stupid dark twisting underground water-filled tunnels that really don't go anywhere...8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Everyone is now out safely :up
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thank goodness that now the doctor who stayed with the boys, plus the remaining divers are now all out, all being treated in hospital, but nothing serious it seems. :D
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

And thoughts for the Thai diver who died during the rescue.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

And for that magnificent doctor, whose father died just after the final rescue.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/the-m ... 4zqt5.html
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Apparently there was one Egyptian diver involved.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

... and they have just signed over the book and film rights, the film, according to this mornings news, is already in production. Just hope some of the proceeds go to the divers family that sacrificed his life in the rescue, and the boys for a better future education.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

There has been talk for over a week as to who will play the doctor.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Winged Isis wrote:There has been talk for over a week as to who will play the doctor.
Probably Mel Gibson ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:There has been talk for over a week as to who will play the doctor.
Probably Mel Gibson ;)

Perhaps, at 60 plus, he's a bit old for the job.

Why not add a bit of creative licence and have Kylie Minogue? 8)

Instead of coaxing the trapped boys out she could entertain them for a few days. If that didn't cause them to abandon their fear of darkness and drive them out, nothing would.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I think we should have Idris Elba playing the British diver who first found the trapped kids, we don't have enough ethinic minorities playing these parts, I always thought he would make a good German U boat captain in the remake of 'Das Boot' :D