Wimbledon...

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Wimbledon...

Post by Who2 »

I used to live in Wimbledon, now named for the next 2 weeks SW19.
Reading an article how people rent out the parking space.
https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/prop ... 21761.html
I used to rent my maisonette to Cathy Jordon Inc and her Mum, £500 quid a week, three years running,
my girlfriend who's family home was top 'o the hill was getting £2000k a week off Navratilova.
Plus they would leave all the freebie tennis shoes still in boxes...
Great fun Wimbledon everyone wears tennis gear, every restaurant is packed, tennis stars are everywhere.
Cathy once explained the whole tennis circuit was just one big '****-fest..... 8)
Ps: I remember watching the Borg vs McEnroe in The Mission for Deep Sea Fisherman in Scrabster Caithness
Me, my mate, the vicar and a few beers....
The boys from the salmon bothy grew the herb and we stole salmon...legs of venison available
from the pub, not much money changed hands.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Wimbledon...

Post by Major Thom »

Oh my God I had forgot about tennis, first it was Ascot, followed by World Cup and now Wimbledon, relentless rubbish on TV. Hope its all finished by the time I get home.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Home is where the heart is they say. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Major Thom wrote:Oh my God I had forgot about tennis, first it was Ascot, followed by World Cup and now Wimbledon, relentless rubbish on TV. Hope its all finished by the time I get home.
Yeh! you can catch up on all that intellectual crap like East Enders & Coronation St, stir the 'old grey cells eh ?...spare me.... 8)
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The trouble is Dr I admit to watching what you call rubbish TV, but there are thousands that don't due to machoism.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Nothing to do with machismo (sic).

A personal predilection for watching soaps is best not trumpeted on social media.

Likewise nose picking.....or masturbation :st
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk what about bum scratching? We all tend to feel the itch now and again :D And MT would be more interested in commenting on mastication, if you can't chew it, it must be more Egyptian rubbish.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:The trouble is Dr I admit to watching what you call rubbish TV, but there are thousands that don't due to machoism.
Was that typo meant to be masochism? Sounds about right :tk

masochism
ˈmasəkɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: masochism
the tendency to derive sexual gratification from one's own pain or humiliation.
"with things such as bondage and masochism, it's all right if you both go for it"
(in general use) the enjoyment of an activity that appears to be painful or tedious.
"there's plenty to do when the weather turns moorland walks into exercises in masochism"
Origin

late 19th century: named after Leopold von Sacher-Masoch (1835–95), the Austrian novelist who described it, + -ism.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

I don't know about W. but I saw that rat Mc Enroe a few times. That he now says he was on cocaine at the time comes as no surprise. His skills were remarkable - more about anticipation and intelligence than obvious physical skill. Much younger I thought his circus humor funny - maybe not today. The distinctive memory I have of him is the sheer impossibility of his body. Thin legs, thin arms, no shoulders and a slouching walk. I think he also had a bowed legs walk - can't be sure it was a long time ago. He was an exception. To the eye he looked a really pathetic physical specimen yet he did the job.

What has happened to tennis since is another story - its become a mass audience near brothel experience (for the audience not the players) drenched with bad food, lots of alcohol and celebrities in front boxes. I think its gone from an audience of 90% of ex players who know the rules and can read the subtle tactics to 10% with the rest now just idiot screamers like at soccer. Sad and I don't go anymore after 30 years.

The only glory of the current game is Roger - not only the greatest player in history but a fine and understated human being. The Scot is a grunting bad tempered, uncharming, barely articulate three hit per game power player. Boring to watch. Bring back the elegant, skilled and subtle Edberg.

The game has changed to meet the tastes of its stupid new mass audience. It reflects their tastes well.

In Australia, that once led the world, the game has reached a low point characterized by barely rational ego's, poor performance and bad behavior There is no one proud of them - except the 16yo boys who que for their autographs delivered in a grumpy fashion but for the idiot boys this will be a high point of their subsequently underwhelming lives.

Tennis in its hay day used to be a sport for millions of Australians on municipal or church courts - very egalitarian - nowadays its too much hard work, unsexy and 'boring' and almost no one plays it except geriatrics. Most prefer to sit passively in the seats in a stadium with little concern for what sport but an obsession with heroes rather than sport. The world has changed.

MadDilys. An obscure side point. The Austrian Baron you refer to is an ancestor of the English singer Marianne Faithfull - a singer I like more in her dotage than at 20. When I was a kid she tried to kill herself about 5 miles from where I lived - Mick Jagger can do that to you. Maybe she was a masochist in living with him. I think she was. Maybe masochism runs in her family.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Marianne Faithful, now there's a name to conjure up all sorts, 2 hit records - "Has Tears go by" and "This little Bird" plus a B Movie called "Girl on a Motorcycle"

Probably spelling may be wrong MD, I was meaning the word used by many men to show of their Macho tendencies. I am damn sure many more men watch the soaps than dare admit to, why they don't admit to it I don't know, nothing wrong with a bit of light entertainment 5 days a week and catch up at the weekends ha ha! Funny thing going on at the moment is the way the Bistro in Corrie is flaunting Health and Safety Rules. All Cold Rooms should have an internal safety escape handle in case one gets trapped inside. But both programs have bloody good embalmers at hand, funerals taking between 5 and 6 weeks, a body would be fairly decomposed in that time. Even in Cyprus which has less heat than Egypt, a body shows signs of decomposition after 4 or 5 days.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The only 'soaps' I will be watching are the soapy massages when I'm in Thailand. Look it up on google. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:Marianne Faithful, now there's a name to conjure up all sorts, 2 hit records - "Has Tears go by" and "This little Bird" plus a B Movie called "Girl on a Motorcycle"

Probably spelling may be wrong MD, I was meaning the word used by many men to show of their Macho tendencies. I am damn sure many more men watch the soaps than dare admit to, why they don't admit to it I don't know, nothing wrong with a bit of light entertainment 5 days a week and catch up at the weekends ha ha! Funny thing going on at the moment is the way the Bistro in Corrie is flaunting Health and Safety Rules. All Cold Rooms should have an internal safety escape handle in case one gets trapped inside. But both programs have bloody good embalmers at hand, funerals taking between 5 and 6 weeks, a body would be fairly decomposed in that time. Even in Cyprus which has less heat than Egypt, a body shows signs of decomposition after 4 or 5 days.

I have a feeling I may regret this but hey ho!

"Has Tears go by." is not a Marianne Faithful record, nor has anyone recorded this.

With regard to the decomposition of a body, have you ever heard of refrigeration, MT? Not necessarily freezing just reducing the temperature enough to stop decomposition. :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm not sure which would have appealed to the marquis de Sade more.....

Listening to the warbling of his descendant Marianne Faithful.

Or reading MTs posts.

Either is arguably more painful than self-flagellation in a darkened room :ct
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Just to remind you all of how bad it really was :urm:
Has Tears Go By, sung By Marianne Faithful
phpBB [video]
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I remember the song but had not realised how bad a performer she was. I've seen more entertaining trees.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

MD originally As Tears Go By was a Rolling Stones record and they let her record it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Major Thom wrote:MD originally As Tears Go By was a Rolling Stones record and they let her record it.
Incorrect MT, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and their manager wrote the song for her to record which she did in 1964, the Stones recorded their own version of it in 1965 ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

:a17: Give me strength. :a23:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Met her once Marianne, knew her sister Hazel she was a milliner they where bought up
in a commune so she said...no mention of mars bars.... 8)
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

She was tutored in a convent.