bad news turned into good for a change.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

bad news turned into good for a change.

Post by Dusak »

Last week I received an e-mail from the English guy that owns the guesthouse I'm staying at in Pattaya. He informed me that the Thai authorities have implemented a law stating that the minimum stay in a guest house, not hotels, is now 30 days, mine is 28, He told me not to worry if I receive an amended booking from Booking.com. Couple of days later he e-mailed me again saying that it was impossible to change the dates in the way Booking.com were insisting on, so he has had to cancel my booking with them. He advised me to do the same otherwise they could charge me the full amount via the credit card holding deposit and let him know when I have done this. So I canceled and let him know. In return he told me that I'm still booked in for my dates, and as a show of thanks not going to a hotel, he reduced my bill by 10% which in my case equates to an extra 30 pints of cider :br

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
FarleyFlavors

Re: bad news turned into good for a change.

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Dusak wrote:In return he told me that I'm still booked in for my dates, and as a show of thanks not going to a hotel, he reduced my bill by 10% which in my case equates to an extra 30 pints of cider :br
More likely a show of thanks for saving him the 15% he'd have to pay booking.com...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Mmmm

Sounds fishy to me. Odd change for Thai authorities to make.....have you checked if it's true?

I wouldn't be surprised if FF is on the right track.. it's not unknown for Booking.com room holders to cancel their arrangements once they have established direct contact with the guest. They cannot usually contact the guest until the booking is confirmed and money received by Booking .com

Having cancelled the arrangements, they then deal privately with the guest to their mutual benefit.

Booking.com get terribly upset if they get wind of such shenanigans :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Is it really the case that you have to stay at a Guest House for 28/30 days? I've never considered booking a holiday to Thailand but if I did there is no way I could stay a month, and I doubt many other working people could either. I just find that odd.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I spoke to the guy yesterday, he and quite a few others have removed their properties from Booking.com, which is true as I still had some on my 'to consider' list so checked them out. A month stay in the likes of Thailand is quite common, the trip out there is so long two weeks are not enough. And, if you do stay a month, most hotels and guest houses give a better deal, including Booking. com. Thailand is a country that you can just land and search out a good on the spot bargain, maximum search would be an hour if you are really fussy as there are hundreds of them. I considered doing this myself and quite positive I could of saved myself 50% from the online price. But I'm going on a well earned holiday, I'm not counting the pennies and I'm going to enjoy myself. Even pre-booked a taxi driver as I leave the airport, paying around £10 more than what I could get outside, but this guy was recommended by other Brit travelers, speaks good English and does not hassle you into using him for you travel needs and pester you with the long list of options, same that you get with the Luxor taxi drivers. These places generate so much tourist revenue that I doubt that Booking.coms 15% service charge bothers them and all place prices include the 7% service charge and 10% government tax. And yes, I doubt very much if these are paid as they should be if its a walk in booking, but who cares if the price is right for both parties. What I'm getting suits me right down to the ground.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.