Happy 70th Anniversary ARCE

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Happy 70th Anniversary ARCE

Post by newcastle »

"What could ARCE do in the next 70 years? I think the simple answer is, keep up the good work!" - Kent Weeks, Theban Mapping Project.

Today we can enjoy Egypt's archaeological treasures thanks to the passion and tireless dedication of the many expeditions that excavate and preserve them - and the American Research Center in Egypt has been supporting those teams for seven decades, as of today.

ARCE is also building capacity among their Egyptian colleagues through field schools designed to train Ministry of Antiquities employees in conservation techniques.

Nile Magazine is proud to be a small part of the ARCE family. The current issue features the work of ARCE's conservation field schools at Khonsu Temple at Karnak. The photo below shows the dramatic before-and-after cleaning work inside the temple's chapels.

(The cartouches illustrated are those of Ramesses IV - and he's generally predominant throughouut - although it was his father, Ramesses III who claimed to inaugurate the temple)

This video highlights some of the amazing work being conducted today by ARCE's institutional members, at the Great Pyramids of Giza, in the Valley of the Kings, at the temple of the goddess Mut and more. "There is so much more to discover and achieve in years to come. We're excited to share it with you!"
http://www.arce.org/arce-celebrates-70- ... gypts-cult

The cleaning work may mean certain parts of the temple remain closed...although it was advertised as "open to the public" earlier this year. I've read of mixed results from intrepid tourists trying to access.

Does anyone know the current situation?

FarleyFlavors

Re: Happy 70th Anniversary ARCE

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had any problem gaining access to the Khonsu temple. It's never exactly been boarded up or anything. A few years back the guardian even let us clamber up the scaffolding to see the cleaned up decoration at close quarters.

It was only on my last visit about a year back that I encountered any actual work being done and the rear sanctuaries were roped off, but the workers didn't bat an eyelid at us having a look around.