Karnak opens 7th to 10th pylons to visitors

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Karnak opens 7th to 10th pylons to visitors

Post by newcastle »

I'm reading elsewhere that the 7th to 10th pylons at Karnak are now open to the public.

And you'll be able to scoot around in your wheelchair.

In recognition of both World Heritage Day and Social Solidarity Minister Ghada Wali's declaration of 2018 as the year of Egyptians with disabilities, Egypt's Antiquities Ministry on Friday announced that Karnak Temple would soon be accessible to the disabled.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... disab.aspx

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Karnak opens 7th to 10th pylons to visitors

Post by Major Thom »

How long has the electric been cut in Karnak if they are opening the 7th to the 10th Pylon? :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Is this ''soon'' the normal accepted meaning of the term, or the Egyptian version? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:Is this ''soon'' the normal accepted meaning of the term, or the Egyptian version? :lol:
Bokra insh'allah :ct
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Ah, tomorrow, or it may even be Badha Buhkra.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

This is silly news, this whole Southern area has always been open to the public, in fact the American archeologists years ago encouraged visitors to its site within that area.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Came across this which might interest some:

phpBB [video]
Carpe diem! :le:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Winged Isis wrote:Came across this which might interest some:

Thank you very much for this Winged Isis, fascinating!! I love Karnak, and have visited many times, always finding something new and unexpected to interest me. Have a visual image of how the temple may have looked originally is really helpful in understanding what we see today. :a4: :a4: :a4:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Afwan! :wi
Carpe diem! :le:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Good video WI, thanks for providing the link :up
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yildez wrote: Have a visual image of how the temple may have looked originally is really helpful in understanding what we see today.:
I am certain that in the past I have written on here about the Khonsu Temple and the rather strange, to say the least, Opet Temple within the Karnack Temple complex, that in the past has not been easily accessible to the average tourist. Both these have wonderful representations of a off beat image that one would not expect to see in such a place, especially The Opet.

I am sure most on here know that the average Egyptian in Upper Egypt have a fantastic sense of humour, sometimes childish, but also quite wicked at time, this was also the case in ancient times but very little has been written up about this. Most people on here will know of the ancient graffiti littered at various places on the West Bank, some rather crude especially around the Temple dedicated to Hatshepsut, but the main temples on the East Bank have many hidden examples of humour that would not go a miss in the modern day comic that is Private Eye.

Tourist often ask what did the pylons of the great Karnack Temple look like in those great days, the answer is simple, enter the Temple of Khonsu, turn to your immediate right, and there on the wall show an almost picture of a great pylon. The detail hieroghics tell you that the pharaoh has seen fit to have said pylon restored to its former glory, flagpoles, flags and all. The nearby Opet Temple is a treasure for 'hidden' graffiti.

One of the wonderful amusing items at Karnack, is a wall carving. Walk along the western side on the sacred lake, look along the wall and discover a representation on a man wearing a full length jellabiya with his hands raised to the heavens and almost dancing with joy in gratification of what, one might ask ? The answer is that this is to commemorate either the rebuilding or restoration of the High Priest of Amoun Ra's private home by the pharaoh. I am certain that the High Priest might have been rather pleased, but certainly not as much as the stone mason would want us to believe.

There are so many great treasures like this, especially at Karnack that sort of almost makes the place quite human really.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I always include a visit to Khonsu Temple when I go to Karnak, and am usually completely alone; it seems to get few visitors. It's very interesting, lots to see, and on a manageable scale compared to Karnak, which is overwhelming in places.

Several years ago I managed to get into the Opet Temple, which has been closed for a long time. Bakseesh changed hands, the key was found, and I was able to go inside. I had to clamber over scaffolding poles etc, and several of the wall paintings were covered, as they were partly restored. The guardian uncovered them for me - superb!! Well worth the effort and the bribe!!