Anan can’t run and arrested.

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Anan can’t run and arrested.

Post by Hafiz »

Former General and member of SCAF, Anan, has been arrested for “without first obtaining proper authorization from the military” for standing for the Presidency which is odd because what has the military got to do with a retired general and citizen standing for politics. Maybe everyone needs the military authorization to run. Could that be a bad thing?

A couple of dozen of his supporters have been arrested along with their families. I assume they will go to secret military courts with no lawyer and no appeal. Its an interesting question of how a military court can hear a charge that involves an offense against it. Still I'm sure the Egyptian military judges know about conflict of interest and integrity - albeit little about due process and right to legal representation.

He made a choice of Hisham Geneina as his running mate who was dismissed from his anti-corruption job, humiliated and charged by the current people after he said that corruption was out-of-control. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -sami-anan. Getting rid of him required a new law (I think it was just a Presidential Decree that the courts never rule illegal) because like many similar jobs in the world they were previously not subject to random firing.

That Geneina was correct and that insiders have their hands in the till, and on a Pharonic scale, seems clear in an article which has won the European Press Prize. https://www.europeanpressprize.com/arti ... ush-funds/ so Geneina as a running mate would be a real threat to scores of thousands of important people. (The article and hundreds of related articles are never printed in Egypt).

Anan’s candidature and his imprisonment combined with leaks to the western media from the top (including private conversations about sloshing around billions from the Saudi’s to ‘military purposes’) tend to indicate that there are divisions within the military and that these divisions might be about integrity issues. It is possible that these divisions exist at the most senior levels.

Meanwhile the Egyptian media present the arrest in an uncontroversial and matter of fact way. You wonder whether there is any free media left. I think I know the answer.

Given alternative candidates who have been 'dissuaded' or are in the courts on trumped up charges the outcome looks clear. You wonder how confident the current people are about their candidate that they have gone to such extreme measures to remove alternatives.

The voter turnout should be interesting - last time it was a pathetic result if you interpreted it as support/popularity .

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Anan can’t run and arrested.

Post by Major Thom »

And so it begins, when there is no one standing there will only be one result..
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Prediction time again.

Sisi wins 95% of vote on turnout of 45%.

Anan's removal from the scene is no great surprise as he was the only serious potential threat to Sisi's re-election .

The two have never had a comfortable relationship as this article makes clear http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/sami- ... 1909434028

There's also some concern that his opposition to islamist/Brotherhood sentiments may not have been as visceral as Sisi would like. A flaw also apparent in Geneina - although he's been persona-non-grata ever since getting rather too close to possible military involvement in corruption. As Hafiz says, the coverage of "opening-the-black-box-of-egypts-slush-funds" is largely blocked in Egypt although you can access the gist of it with some persistence.

There's enough dross around to make it look like a contested election but an Anan/Geneina ticket was obviously too much to swallow. I doubt whether it would have seriously undermined the massive victory Sisi is heading for which begs the question "why bother?"

Never underestimate Sisi's desire to be the one -and-only saviour of Egypt....and if that comes at the price of burying the competition, and Western mockery of the election, so what?

Sisi knows full well that geopolitical considerations and money trump any lip service the West might pay to democracy, human rights etc.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'd like to change my prediction.....

Sisi wins 99.5% of vote on turnout of 40%

Egyptian Streets
1 hr ·
JUST IN: Egyptian rights lawyer and presidential hopeful Khaled Ali withdraws his bid for the 2018 presidential elections

Read more: http://bit.ly/2E4OCfS

That's democracy showbiz folks ! :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The plot thickens......

Egyptian security forces have arrested the former head of Egypt’s Central Auditing Organization (CAO) Hisham Geneina on Tuesday, media outlets reported citing Geneina’s lawyer Ali Taha.

Besides being the former head of CAO, Geneina also was set to be the vice president of former presidential hopeful and ex-general Sami Anan.

The arrest came a few hours after the Armed Forces had released a statement in response to press statements made by Geneina to the HuffPost Arabic. Geneina revealed in his press statements that Anan is in possession of documents against the military leaders and the current regime, further threatening that these documents will be released if Anan got assassinated during his imprisonment.

In response, the military said that Geneina’s statements aim at stirring suspicions against the state and its institutions, particularly in a time when the Armed Forces is combating terrorism in North Sinai. The statement further stressed that it will use all its constitutional and legal rights to take the necessary procedures against Geneina and Anan.

Conversely, Anan’s lawyer Nasser Amin stated that Geneina’s comments are baseless and false, further adding that he will take legal procedures against anyone who makes press statements citing Anan.

Anan, a retired Army Chief of Staff and a former member of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF), announced on January 20 his intention to run for the 2018 presidential elections, scheduled for March 26-28. However, he was arrested after the Armed Forces had announced that his presidential bid declaration is a violation of the military rules.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2018/02/13/ ... -arrested/

An aide to former Egyptian presidential hopeful General Sami Anan، Hesham Geneina claimed in an interview to Huffington post Arabic، that the ex-military commander is in possession of "dangerous" top-secret files kept outside the country that would be released if he is harmed.

Yet، Anan’s lawyer، Nasser Amin announced through his official account on social network “Facebook” that Geneina’s statements are baseless، stressing that Anan has nothing to do with such statements، adding that he will take the needed legal procedures to prevent anyone giving away statements on the behalf of his client in the future.

For his part، Anan’s son refuted Geneina’s allegations، assuring that he contacted his family’s lawyer to file a report against Geneina، accusing him of inciting a social strife in Egypt amid a war against terrorism.

Moreover، Egypt army will investigate into Hesham Geneina’s statements، Military Spokesman، Tamer el-Refai announced in an official statement issued yesterday، Monday.

el-Refai added that these statements drive a wedge between the Egyptian Army and the citizens amid a war against terrorism، adding that the Army will act according to its right granted by the constitution.

https://en.el-balad.com/2368054

One can't help wondering whether this all relates to Geneina's embarrassing investigations into the "slush fund" allegations highlighted in the report mentioned by Hafiz.

It does make fascinating reading.

Edited version : https://www.nizarmanek.com/reporting/20 ... lush-funds

See also : http://carnegieendowment.org/sada/?fa=60660
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Lets hope he doesn't die in prison.