Teddy Roosevelt visited Egypt twice

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Teddy Roosevelt visited Egypt twice

Post by Hafiz »

President Teddy Roosevelt visited Egypt twice.

First in 1872 with his family as a 14 year old child who was deeply interested in its nature and history. His family spent 2 months travelling on the Nile and he visited Luxor.

Second, in 1910 after he retired as President and spent over year in Africa and travelled from Khartoum to Luxor when this photograph was taken:

I’ve just finished a biography/history of Roosevelt and his protégé and successor Taft. Its long winded but interesting and well reviewed in serious newspapers and by academics. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/books ... ulpit.html

It proves that the Trump phenomenon of populism, the cult of personality and rejection of elites and (apparent) vested interests is far from new in US politics and illustrates the then new and powerful role of journalists and that Roosevelt was the first US President to aggressively engage with the press. On the other hand Roosevelt was intelligent, literate, moral, not super rich, consultative and generally had good judgment but was a somewhat unstable personality.

Conspicuous by their absence are similar Egyptian histories and biographies that gain any credibility with experts of any persuasion.

There was a time when intelligent and powerful people felt a need to visit Luxor. Alas their visits and the publicity they generated attracted hordes who have turned it into a low rent, dysfunctional, Disneyland (although Disneyland makes a dollar). Less than capable local government also probably hasn’t helped Luxor.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Teddy Roosevelt visited Egypt twice

Post by newcastle »

I’ve just finished a biography/history of Roosevelt and his protégé and successor Taft. Its long winded but interesting and well reviewed in serious newspapers and by academics. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/books ... ulpit.html
On first reading the above I thought you were claiming to be Doris Kearns Goodwin :lol:
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Its very long winded but worth the effort and the boredom because it illustrates that there is little new under the sun - at least as far as US politics is concerned. Reading it was more of an education than a pleasure.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Hafiz wrote:Its very long winded but worth the effort and the boredom because it illustrates that there is little new under the sun - at least as far as US politics is concerned. Reading it was more of an education than a pleasure.
It looks the kind of book I'd read..and probably enjoy. I'll look for it in kindle form.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Ordering it physically on Amazon might be a cost problem - its very heavy - even in paperback.