Heads up for Major Thom

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Heads up for Major Thom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom, as you seem to be preparing for a Christmas Binge already, you would probably like to know that Tesco in the UK now have their first stocks of tubs of Celebration and Heroes in. At £5 a tub the price would appear to be the same as in recent previous years however, I have no idea what the actual weight of the tub is.

I have no idea if such dubious delights are sold in Cyprus, but at least now you can put in requests for your visitors from the UK to bring some supplies.

x:roll: x:roll: x:roll:

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Heads up for Major Thom

Post by Horus »

Hepzi they have them there also and the tins are a lot bigger and there are more variations in the tin and they taste a lot better ;)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:Hepzi they have them there also and the tins are a lot bigger and there are more variations in the tin and they taste a lot better ;)
:a66:

You'll be telling me next that the chocolate doesn't melt on them before you get them home!
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And they are none fattening at only 2 calories each ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We already have a tin of Quality Street and Roses, they cost us nothing, we used some of our loyalty points from the Supermarket They were roughly the same price as UK unlike the double prices charged in Luxor. We also have 2 large boxes of Lindt, and a large carton of F. Roche. We just get them a bit at a time. Incidently we brought with us our 7 ft Christmas Tree that we had in Luxor. It used to stand fully trimmed and lit up near our entrance. Used to cause a stir, but like I would say its a similar celebration to Ramadan Lanterns outside your home.
Dont forget this will be our first Christmas for 9 years, so we intend to celebrate like other Christians. I do like the idea that shops and pubs will be closed Christmas Day.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:We already have a tin of Quality Street and Roses, they cost us nothing, we used some of our loyalty points from the Supermarket They were roughly the same price as UK unlike the double prices charged in Luxor. We also have 2 large boxes of Lindt, and a large carton of F. Roche. We just get them a bit at a time. Incidently we brought with us our 7 ft Christmas Tree that we had in Luxor. It used to stand fully trimmed and lit up near our entrance. Used to cause a stir, but like I would say its a similar celebration to Ramadan Lanterns outside your home.
Dont forget this will be our first Christmas for 9 years, so we intend to celebrate like other Christians. I do like the idea that shops and pubs will be closed Christmas Day.
Alas, I must state the obvious! Christmas has been celebrated in many places around the world for centurys, including Luxor where you actually got two oppotunities each year to do so. In fact I have celebrated Christmas in Luxor a number of times over the yesrs. How you appear to have missed out on Christmas for 9 years baffles me.
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

You know, I'm scratching my head here, trying to understand why people who have chosen - chosen, not forced by circumstance - to live in a country other than their native one, insist on wanting food and drink from "home", and get upset/angry when it's not available. In MTs case, it seems he cannot live without all the trappings of "British" life. Why live abroad then? Why not just go back to the UK where they're all on sale?

Beats me :ni: :ni: :ni:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've decide to visit Larnaka next kick out, my most important question is, do they sell Cadbury cream eggs?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yildez wrote:You know, I'm scratching my head here, trying to understand why people who have chosen - chosen, not forced by circumstance - to live in a country other than their native one, insist on wanting food and drink from "home", and get upset/angry when it's not available. In MTs case, it seems he cannot live without all the trappings of "British" life. Why live abroad then? Why not just go back to the UK where they're all on sale?

Beats me :ni: :ni: :ni:
Perhaps, at his age, the need to learn a new language - English - would be too much of struggle :tk
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

He could also get his Christmas decorations up middle of August. Oh the delights.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:I've decide to visit Larnaka next kick out, my most important question is, do they sell Cadbury cream eggs?
The answer is probably YES - but not as you know them. However, if sold there, they will only be available between the months of February to November, although it is highly likely you may spot some during December and January too.

Oh! Now that raises a different question for me. I wonder if Major Thom has missed out on celebrating Easter for 9 years too. If I'm not mistaken, there are two opportunities to celebrate Easter in Egypt.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:
I earlier ignored a part of the post. I can ignore it no longer. What do you actually mean by that?
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:And they are none fattening at only 2 calories each ;)
:lol:

If I believed that I'd be grabbing my passport and empty suitcase to go and bulk buy for Christmas. ;)
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Major Thom wrote:
I earlier ignored a part of the post. I can ignore it no longer. What do you actually mean by that?
Yes, puzzled me too Hepzibah, as I know there are Christian services in Luxor. :ni:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

we intend to celebrate like other Christians.
If he meant gorging yourself stupid before slumping, semi-comatose, in front of the telly, surely you can do that anywhere...even Luxor :lol:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Maybe MT doesn't consider Copts to be "proper" Christians? :|
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I thought the Copts were Christian? Those that attend the Pentecostal Church and the Catholic Church here in Luxor are certainly Christian. Never been to midnight mass here in Luxor MT? Or is Newcastle right your idea of celebrating Christmas is just gorging your self on Baileys and Chockies.
Still Halloween and Bonfire Night to celebrate before then. Have they started stocking up on treacle toffee near you yet? If not they are a tad late. Only two and a half months to go.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yildez wrote:Maybe MT doesn't consider Copts to be "proper" Christians? :|
Ah! But Copts are not the only Christians in Luxor. There is a large Catholic Community and also Christians of other denominations - as proven by there being a Presbyterian Evangelical Church and also a Methodist Church. With the later 3 denominations celebrating Christmas on 24th/25th December and the Coptic Church celebrating in January there should be every opportunity to 'celebrate like other Christians.'
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Don't mention Bonfire night :stp I bet MT is using that chocolates tin to keep his 'bangers' in. ;)
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Yildez wrote:Maybe MT doesn't consider Copts to be "proper" Christians? :|
Ah! But Copts are not the only Christians in Luxor. There is a large Catholic Community and also Christians of other denominations - as proven by there being a Presbyterian Evangelical Church and also a Methodist Church. With the later 3 denominations celebrating Christmas on 24th/25th December and the Coptic Church celebrating in January there should be every opportunity to 'celebrate like other Christians.'
Yes, of course, you're right Hepzibah, thanks for reminding me! And I now remember talking to a couple who'd attended mass at the Catholic Church, I think on Christmas Eve. Plenty of opportunity for MT to have a Christian Christmas if he really wanted one. :a81: