Attack on Finsbury Mosque

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Attack on Finsbury Mosque

Post by Horus »

A white male driving a van has run into people outside of London’s Finsbury Mosque, the man was arrested. They are treating it as a terrorist attack which I suppose it is, but more likely it will be some nutter who is fed up with all the other attacks that have gone on and attempted a tit for tat revenge, probably NF or similar. I cannot say I am surprised at something like this, it was only a matter of time before someone decided to (in their eyes) to get revenge for past attacks.

FarleyFlavors

Re: Attack on Finsbury Mosque

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Horus wrote:A brown male driving a car has run into people outside of the Palace of Westminster, the man was killed. They are treating it as a terrorist attack which I suppose it is, but more likely it will be some nutter who is fed up with all the other attacks that have gone on in the Middle East and attempted a tit for tat revenge, probably IS or similar. I cannot say I am surprised at something like this, it was only a matter of time before someone decided to (in their eyes) to get revenge for past attacks.
Fixed that for you ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Fixed that for you ;)
In what way have you fixed it ? the media and the TV coverage report and say "a white male"
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Having fully read your strange interpretation and version of what I had earlier reported, I can only assume that you in some way condone terrorism in whatever form it takes?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Seems to me the words "act of terrorism" and "terrorist" are fast losing their meaning.

I've always understood terrorism to mean violence, particularly against civilians, in the furtherance of some political agenda.

At this early stage of the Finsbury Park attack we don't know the motives of the attacker. Revenge for earlier IS inspired attacks looks quite likely. What makes that terrorism rather than simply a revenge attack? It may possibly have been motivated by islamophobia....but was it in pursuance of a "war on islam"? A bit early for that conclusion.

I can understand why, in the immediate aftermath, have labeled it as a " suspected terrorist attack". Whether it was ....remains to be seen.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I would agree with all of that Newcastle and while I do not wish to make out that this was not terrorism, because as you have rightly said any act that is intended to instil fear into any section or all of the population is by the dictionary definition ‘terrorism’.I agree that the meaning of the word has become blurred in the current climate and although I utterly condemn this atrocity, I feel it may be inspired less by the sort of ‘terrorist’ agenda that we have come to know and more as an act of revenge by some white supremacist group or other isolationist group that excludes Muslims for example. At what point these mindless acts of revenge/rebellion turn into terrorism per se only time will tell. If I had to make a guess it would be that having seen this sort of moronic behaviour from what is likely to be a far right wing group, will it escalate with copycat type attacks inspired by the action of this man in a similar way that Islamic terrorism was aggravated and encouraged by the teachings and actions of a few people? Whatever the outcome we should see a swift clamp down on these far right groups before it gets out of hand, it may seem uneven handed as this was not done in the early days of Islamic extremism, but that cannot be allowed to cloud the issue and action must be taken before these acts become normal.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Maybe the word has been transmuted to include attacks on ethnic or religious groups.

I suspect the word was rapidly deployed on this occasion because NOT to do so would have caused an outcry from the muslim community that the attack on them was, in some way, less important than the IS inspired attacks we've seen recently.

Maybe the word will further change to include attacks on gays, sex workers etc.

Are many islamic countries guilty of state-sponsored terrorism in criminalising homosexuality?

Was Jack the Ripper a terrorist?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I suppose the distinction would be that Jack the Ripper was not a terrorist, but he did terrorise people, our language and meaning change daily.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:I suppose the distinction would be that Jack the Ripper was not a terrorist, but he did terrorise people, our language and meaning change daily.
Indeed.

Nelson Mandela and Menachem Begin were undoubtedly terrorists in their heyday.

Now , in most (if not all) memories, they are described as freedom fighters and heroes.

As mentioned elsewhere, it depends whose "history" you want to read :)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

You can add a few more to that list, Jomo Kenyetta (Mau Mau) Samora Machel of Mozambique, Hastings Kamuzu Banda of Malawi, Jonas Savimbi of Angola, the list is endless. :urm:
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

The looney left / pc brigade have been making stupid comments on FB suggesting that the police didn't kill him because a) he was white and b) non-muslim. They weren't too chuffed when I pointed out that a white man can be a muslim and unless he had non-muslim stamped on his forehead how would the police know. I also reminded them that when the police have killed the so called muslims the majority were still in the process of killing people whereas this person wasn't a threat anymore.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Very saddened to hear of today's incident.

Would like to make it clear that this person's actions do not represent the feelings of the overwhelming majority of non Muslims.

Would be reassuring if the police could come out and make this point clear and warn that any reprisal attacks will not be tolerated.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

More to the point, he was being retrained until the police arrived by people from the mosque and it was the Imam who stopped locals from probably killing him or at least seriously injuring him, but more to the point what did they expect the police to do? execute the man as he was being held down? It is this sort of "we are being victimised" attitude that loses peoples sympathy when these things happen, it is though they want to count up every action from the past and scrutinize it for any differences in behaviour regardless of the situation.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

On the news reports, on on social media, I've seen some remarks from muslims which verge on the cretinous.

I remember witnessing similar remarks from non-muslims in the aftermath of the Westminster Bridge and Borough Market atrocities.

Bigotry is rife in both communities.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bearded Brian wrote:The looney left / pc brigade have been making stupid comments on FB suggesting that the police didn't kill him because a) he was white and b) non-muslim. They weren't too chuffed when I pointed out that a white man can be a muslim and unless he had non-muslim stamped on his forehead how would the police know. I also reminded them that when the police have killed the so called muslims the majority were still in the process of killing people whereas this person wasn't a threat anymore.
Good point Brian. An example of which I posted on another post concerning my one sided conversation with a Jordanian living in Hurghada. He referred to Muslims as ''those ****ing Muslims. Of course, he would not have considered the possibility of him speaking to a now white Muslim, a fact that I do not engage in conversation about with strangers due to the negativity I receive and looked upon as being ''a traitor to the course.'' And my reasons are personal to me, not to all and sundry, even though I know that I will always be seen as a copy one by those born and bred into the religion.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.