Election

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Election

Post by carrie »

Looks like a very good night for Labour. :up

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Election

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Looks like a very good night for Labour. :up
Certainly wasn't a good one for the Conservatives - apart from Scotland. :a71:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

How long before another election?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:How long before another election?
Well....the minority Conservative government is hardly what you'd call "strong and stable".

However, for the time being, with regard to elections/referenda etc. - "enough is enough".

Theresa May's main issue will be how she now interprets "Brexit is Brexit"
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

And if she remains as PM. Think she's on the way out. :wi
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:And if she remains as PM. Think she's on the way out. :wi
Possibly. There's an eerie silence from prominent Conservatives so far.

And they can be pretty vicious when looking for a scapegoat. Her decision to call an election ( or rather the decision of her small cabal of advisers) turned out to be a horrible misjudgement and she ran an unimpressive campaign.

My feeling is that kicking her out, at least in the short term, would make a bad situation worse.

Whether the 1922 Committee agree.....we'll see.

The election result may put a brake on a "hard Brexit". Labour's gains from previously Conservative-held seats correlates quite well with seats which voted to remain in the referendum and David Davis is already sounding a little "soft".
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There is little doubt that labour did a good job of organising the younger vote, the result for Canterbury demonstrates that.However they too are entitled to a vote, but I fear they were voting for “jam tomorrow” as Corbyn knew he would never have to honour the promises he made and lets be clear neither have Labour won a victory either as they still lost despite all the promises because many people have a long memory of their past spending record which has always ended up creating more debt. Quite how the Tories managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I do not know, but to alienate their core voters at the last moment by threatening to cut pensions, social care and the Winter fuel allowance in their manifesto almost beggars belief. My own thoughts are that we now have the worst of all worlds with a government with no real majority and we are about to start the Brexit negotiations, I can see it being a disaster.

It is clear that Corbyn has massive support in and around London, but that is no surprise given the demographics, it will be interesting to see how those people who refused to serve under him now react to his popularity, will they see him as the future of the party or as a small resurgence due to the recent run of events. It will be interesting to see if this new found involvement in politics by the younger element continues. My youngest Grandson who was just able to vote told me he voted Labour because they would give him a £10 minimum wage, he gets paid monthly and gets top spend almost all of his earnings on himself. He called round yesterday as his mum and dad are on holiday, to borrow £50 because he was skint, he only got paid two weeks ago, so in that time he had managed to blow over £1000 on rubbish, says it all really. I fear that there are many like him who think that money grows on trees and never question the economics of political promises made by all parties.

I can see this leading to another General Election within a short period of time, maybe even a year or so especially as the Brexit deal gets thrashed out. We will certainly be living in interesting times and as I have said before and it applies to many others on here, it really will not affect me very much and with such a narrow margin I cannot even see them getting any of those cuts that lost them so many votes through the house and we still have the prospect of Boris taking her place. I even look forward to having my Schadenfreude moment as the fallout of this election starts to impact on those that brought it about and left this country in a pretty perilous state at such a crucial time in our history.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Labour didn't win an overall majority but their representatives are all over the radio declaring a great victory.
Tory's lost seats although when the election was called they were sure they would increase their majority still Tory's are pleased with the result because it will lead to a softer Brexit.
No wonder politicians are no longer trusted to tell the truth, twist the facts and lie. All the parties.
In the words of our illustrious leader "enough is enough".
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

. He called round yesterday as his mum and dad are on holiday, to borrow £50 because he was skint, he only got paid two weeks ago, so in that time he had managed to blow over £1000 on rubbish, says it all really.
And I bet grandpa indulged him . You big softee :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Even more stupidly I 'gave' him another £20 quid on top :st
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

May has just formed a coalition with the Irish DUP party and will form the next government.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

carrie wrote:How long before another election?
It won't be five years, five months?

May said if she lost just six seats it would be a disaster with all that's going on she probably forgot.

It will end bad for her after all the Tory leaders never relinquish power once tasted easily however she only got the job after no one wanted last time and they had a majority who will want the job now who knows.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

God help us if its Boris :sd
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Nobody has won after yesterday.

Conservatives, Labour, Old, Young, Me & you, nobody.

Tories wanted a large majority - didnt get it.

Labour wanted 326 seats - didnt get it.

Old, wanted their winter fuel payments and their assets protecting - didnt get it.

Young wanted £10 an hour and a higher education for nothing - didnt get it.

You lot on here dont appear to be happy to any degree with the result either for reasons you have outlined.

Labour had a very successful campaign, Corbyn is getting all the credit but in reality deserves little.

He turned the heads of the young by being a freak and a dissenter and if that wasnt enough, a tenner an hour was more than enough to seal the deal.

They were handed the gift of all gifts by the Tories who gave then the votes of many of the old as they threatened to steal their old age (and their house) off them.

Labour hoovered up all the "cant be bothered normally" and the "floating" votes.

Horus nailed it with his comments on the mentality of the young. People can say you are patronising the young all you like but its a fact that they lack experience.

When they run out of money their bed is still there, the roof over their bed is still there as is food in the cupboard lights in their rooms and heat in the radiators.

On top of that there is the parents and grand parents to chuck them a few quid.

The rest of us know that when its gone its gone, it has to be rationed and you never, ever, get anything for free.

If the money runs out there is no one to turn to, but unlike in the case of the young, there will be consequences.

Its not confined to the young, the foolish are prone to this problem as well.

My ex wife, who is to money what Jack The Ripper was to street walking told my daughter to vote Labour for the £10 an hour.

She voted Conservative.

She works in the private sector caring for very disturbed young adults with special needs.

She is assaulted daily and has not taken a sick day in over 5 years.

Her pay is abysmally low but she told her mother that the country could not afford it, her company couldnt either, she saw then cutting jobs and increasing the pressure on those left or the company just folding.

My son voted Labour on my mother's advice and told me that people should get £10 an hour.

Why i asked?

They just should.

No sorry, not good enough, give me a reason and i will listen.

I have, he said.

I said before the election that May was about as charasmatic as a draft excluder, i was wrong and duly apologise to draft excluders everywhere for the comparison.

I got beyond irritated with the constant moaning about May parroting "strong and stable government", nobody mentioned that Labour were doing the same with "for the many not the few"

But this morning only one of those slogans sounded risible.

A good friend who is a life long Tory and county councilor refused to be drawn when i demanded that May should go.

Then you, and the Tories dont deserve power i said.

Finally, i didnt get what i wanted either, i voted Conservative and Keith Vaz who slept with vulnerable young men and was caught on tape agreeing to buy illegal class A drugs with intent to supply increased his majority by 6 thousand and got over 5 thousand more votes than he ever has in his career, ever.

Makes you proud to be British.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You lot on here dont appear to be happy to any degree with the result either for reasons you have outlined
Ermmmm...I'm quite happy with the result.

R.I.P. "Hard Brexit" :up
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
You lot on here dont appear to be happy to any degree with the result either for reasons you have outlined

:zz
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:

:zz

God Democracy moves in a mysterious way :snig:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

You do have to smile at that Tim Farron, his party gets thrashed and he is still on TV saying as how Brexit should be put on hold until the basics are sorted out, has he not yet realised that his ideas on Brexit were utterly rejected by the voters :urm:

As to a hard or soft Brexit, I just reckon that now we may as well just chuck the towel in now, Junkers and his mates cannot wait to give the UK a good kicking and the price we will now have to pay will be harsh as they now see us as weak. The real irony is that when they are in league with the DUP they will have to U-turn on the pensioners triple lock and probably the Winter fuel payment as their price for cooperation which makes her original manifesto gaff all the more unnecessary. Interestingly her defeat is now being branded as ‘the revenge of the Remoaners’ but looking further up the road I can see a resurgence of parties like UKIP if the present negotiations do not deliver what the leavers voted for, so any watering down and fudging of issues will only lead to another movement to change the terms that are finally agreed if they are considered too soft.

I am also sceptical of this lot jumping onto bed with the DUP as a lot of their policies will jar with many voters especially in Ireland and their views on abortion and Gay marriage is well known. It would be far better to limp along with the members they have and do so until it becomes impossible to govern, then call a general election when their position is untenable, should that happen I would say the result would be very different than today and I don’t mean Labour would win either.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus nailed it with his comments on the mentality of the young. People can say you are patronising the young all you like but its a fact that they lack experience.
Well, they've learned one important lesson.

Put your smartphone down, switch off the video game, leave the pub/club for a few minutes and get down to the polling station....and you can surprise everyone.

Maybe Cameron and May have also learned an important lesson.

Calling a referendum or election for tactical, self-interest reasons can end in tears.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I don't normally say much when it comes to politics but in a conversation with friends a few weeks back I did say that I would not be surprised if the result would bring us a hung parliament. However, to borrow a phrase, 'it isn't over until the fat lady sings', and I think at the moment she's still doing her vocal exercises.

In financial terms, does any know how much a General Election costs the country?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley