Labour closing on Tories in YouGov poll

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Labour closing on Tories in YouGov poll

Post by newcastle »

Labour slashes Tory lead to just five points in latest poll taken this week
Party continues to make gains after cutting Conservative lead to single figures last week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 56421.html

But this was before the Manchester bombing and his latest utterances on terrorism :

UK wars are to blame for Manchester', says Corbyn but he voted AGAINST 13 terror laws

JEREMY Corbyn will use the Manchester atrocity to justify his campaign to stop the war on terror in the Middle East.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ction-2017

It will be interesting to see how the two philosophical approaches to the problem clash...and how they affect the next polls.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Labour closing on Tories in YouGov poll

Post by Horus »

The narrowing in the poles is down purely to the issuing of their manifesto in which it was stated that the pensioners triple lock would be abandoned if they came to power. Worse still was the change that would technically put a huge financial burden on people being cared for in their own home with long term illnesses, this was seen as a double wammy to their core voters and they later backtracked by saying there would be a green paper consultation first, if that is believed then the vote will swing back again.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Handy website for deciding who to tactically vote for in your constituency. Simply enter your postcode.

https://www.tactical2017.com

Unless you're a Tory voter of course ;)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e only popped back to say I'm flying home to vote Jeremy in, then I'll return to say 'tata I told you so.. 8)
Ps: The withdrawal was painless...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

Who2 wrote:Iv'e only popped back to say I'm flying home to vote Jeremy in, then I'll return to say 'tata I told you so.. 8)
One poll duth not a summer make Who2. A series of polls for the Sunday papers still give the Tories leads between 7-14% with several of them toward the top end of the range. :sd
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And the lead would have remained far greater had they not issued their manifesto that appeared to target their core voters. Something has to be done to tackle our care system especially for the elderly and at least they tried to grasp the nettle, unfortunately it was released without any real clarity or to say that it was subject to a Parliamentary green paper and so the opposition jumped on it. I don’t particularly care for some of it, but we do have to acknowledge that some universal benefits need to be targeted and there is a lot of unfairness in the current system and indeed some unfairness in the current proposals, it will be a long debate and not easily passed even under a Tory government. No doubt Who2’s urgent flight to vote for Jeremy is to protect his Winter fuel payment he gets while living in Egypt, a good example of the waste they are talking about. ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Keep em coming- when Labour are consigned to electroral oblivion it will be all the sweeter.

More chance of Newcastle getting baptised than a terrorist sympathising Trotskyist becoming PM.

Tactical voting indeed!

#whoareyoutryingtokid
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Labour slashes Tory lead to just five points in latest poll taken this week
Party continues to make gains after cutting Conservative lead to single figures last week.

But this was before the Manchester bombing and his latest utterances on terrorism :

UK wars are to blame for Manchester', says Corbyn but he voted AGAINST 13 terror laws

JEREMY Corbyn will use the Manchester atrocity to justify his campaign to stop the war on terror in the Middle East.

It will be interesting to see how the two philosophical approaches to the problem clash...and how they affect the next polls.
Lol! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Stevepj wrote:
Who2 wrote:Iv'e only popped back to say I'm flying home to vote Jeremy in, then I'll return to say 'tata I told you so.. 8)
One poll duth not a summer make Who2. A series of polls for the Sunday papers still give the Tories leads between 7-14% with several of them toward the top end of the range. :sd
And they were spot on with Britex!
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:Labour slashes Tory lead to just five points in latest poll taken this week

All these problems inc Daesh have come from the Blair & Bush pony and trap show that should see them both in jail.

Jeremy is correct and he is saying so and to back this he did vote against the Iraq invasion if only others had. if more had voted with him there would have been no Manchester 22/5
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:Keep em coming- when Labour are consigned to electroral oblivion it will be all the sweeter.

More chance of Newcastle getting baptised than a terrorist sympathising Trotskyist becoming PM.

Tactical voting indeed!

#whoareyoutryingtokid
Take care....I was baptised (although I didn't give consent, being only a few days old) :lol:

I'll be shunned in Heaven I suspect :(

I wonder if you can be un-baptised :tk
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bombay wrote:

All these problems inc Daesh have come from the Blair & Bush pony and trap show that should see them both in jail.

Jeremy is correct and he is saying so and to back this he did vote against the Iraq invasion if only others had. if more had voted with him there would have been no Manchester 22/5
What a shame he didnt back up his thirty plus years of anti EU rhetoric with a leave vote and people have the temerity to say hes a man of principle, lol, good one!

Do me a favor.

He had no chance before he claimed he had never met with the IRA only to have a multitude of pictures of him doing just that splashed across the internet.

What chance has he now got when his shadow home secretary refuses to say she regrets supporting them using some bizarre analogy involving her choice of hairstyle? All that did was sit up a ball for Amber Rudd to smash into an open court which she duly did.

As offered before Bombay, im quite happy to discuss a wager on the outcome of this election if you still think a Trot is going to be walking into number 10.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There is to be a leaders debate on Sky tonight at 8.30 UK time. To be more precise it will be a separate audience interrogation of each potential leader, May and Corbyn for around 20 minutes each hosted by Fisal Islam and then each will get a grilling from Jeremy Paxman, so no actual head to head, but it should be interesting to say the least.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:There is to be a leaders debate on Sky tonight at 8.30 UK time. To be more precise it will be a separate audience interrogation of each potential leader, May and Corbyn for around 20 minutes each hosted by Fisal Islam and then each will get a grilling from Jeremy Paxman, so no actual head to head, but it should be interesting to say the least.
Should be worth at least 5-7 pts in the opinion polls in favor of May.

We all know its about substance but im afraid personality is massive and Corbyn has about as much as one as a swamp.

I wouldn't put May up there either but she still makes Corbyn look about as interesting as a draft excluder.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Keep em coming- when Labour are consigned to electroral oblivion it will be all the sweeter.

Tactical voting indeed!

#whoareyoutryingtokid
Take care....I was baptised (although I didn't give consent, being only a few days old) :lol:

Actually, that makes it even less possible then, how likely is a double baptism?!?!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:

Tactical voting indeed!

#whoareyoutryingtokid

Actually, that makes it even less possible then, how likely is a double baptism?!?!
Well...if Labour win, I'll accept that as irrefutable proof that miracles do happen, there is a God and renew my allegiance to the Catholic Church.

A second baptism - here in the Nile - will be arranged :hug:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

YouGov poll nine days before election predicts hung parliament

The Tories could lose 20 seats

Theresa May could lose her overall majority in the general election, a shock YouGov poll has predicted.

The survey of voters, commissioned by the Times, predicts that the Conservatives could fall short of winning an overall majority of seats on June 8.

In contrast to signs from a string of opinion polls that have suggested May’s Conservatives will increase their majority, the new constituency-by-constituency modelling by YouGov showed it might lose 20 of the 330 seats it holds and the opposition Labour Party could gain nearly 30 seats, The Times said.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/30/yougov-po ... z4idkCpytv

"Whatever" commented Theresa May. "Stable & strong....onwards and upwards."

@ Bombay. It's not too late to take Zooropa up on his bet. :snig:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I would too, as I have said before, this is/was a one topic election, it was and still is everyone’s last opportunity to vote against Brexit, if the majority feel that way then Corbyn will win hands down, so here is their last chance to have their say. My own view was that the Tories would have won easily had they not made such a débâcle of their election manifesto by alienating their core voters with ill conceived changes in things like the pensioners triple lock, Winter fuel payments and the so called ‘dementia tax’ which gave the opposition parties more ammunition than they could use.

So it could not be harder now for the Tories to win a landslide as would have been the case before, I myself am happy with that, if nothing else it gives everyone another chance to change their mind on Brexit and vote for Corbyn even if it is heavily influenced by a Tory home goal, at least after the election no one can say they did not get the chance to vote on the options available. A win for Corbyn is a clear rejection of Brexit, a landslide or a good win for May will endorse the referendum results. As an aside I could happily vote for many of Labours policies if I were not so long in the tooth to know that they will never become reality other than Corbyn’s pledge to leave us defenceless as a nation, every other pledge would bankrupt the country (again) if they were ever implemented. The worst situation we could end up with would be a hung parliament with the Lib Dems and SNP wagging the Tory dogs tail, a result that would send shudders down my spine, but as a believer in the peoples democracy I will live with the result, I would however still take that bet for a Tory win.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Not so much a vote on Brexit (which is a fait accompli) but on the type of Brexit. May's hard version or Corbyn's ....well....not-quite-sure-what version :lol:

Not everyone who voted in favour of leaving EU regards potential immigration as a red line. Some would prefer to remain in the single market.

Some think leaving the EU with no deal would be a disaster.

It's the differing approaches to the Brexit negotiations which may determine the election outcome, rather than Brexit itself.

And of course the other issues which divide the parties...and who people fancy as the next PM.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:YouGov poll nine days before election predicts hung parliament

The Tories could lose 20 seats

Theresa May could lose her overall majority in the general election, a shock YouGov poll has predicted.

The survey of voters, commissioned by the Times, predicts that the Conservatives could fall short of winning an overall majority of seats on June 8.

In contrast to signs from a string of opinion polls that have suggested May’s Conservatives will increase their majority, the new constituency-by-constituency modelling by YouGov showed it might lose 20 of the 330 seats it holds and the opposition Labour Party could gain nearly 30 seats, The Times said.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/30/yougov-po ... z4idkCpytv

"Whatever" commented Theresa May. "Stable & strong....onwards and upwards."

@ Bombay. It's not too late to take Zooropa up on his bet. :snig:
The Tories will increase their majority - Newcastle, forget trying to convince Bombay - show us the colour of your money!

This poll is fantasy.