Prince Philip retires

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Prince Philip retires

Post by newcastle »

Buckingham Palace has announced that, from the autumn, Prince Philip will no longer be carrying out public engagements.

I don't think anyone can object.....he's 95 for God's sake...and has earned his retirement :up

HM will be soldiering on...despite being 91 :wi

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Prince Philip retires

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Buckingham Palace has announced that, from the autumn, Prince Philip will no longer be carrying out public engagements.

I don't think anyone can object.....he's 95 for God's sake...and has earned his retirement :up

Fair dues......... no doubt some British diplomats are very happy today :tk
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:Buckingham Palace has announced that, from the autumn, Prince Philip will no longer be carrying out public engagements.

OK...I'll bite. Why :ni:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

OK...I'll bite. Why :ni:
No more 'Slitty Eyes' remarks I suppose ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Aaaah!

Yes...he wasn't renowned for "political correctness" :lol:

I look forward to reading the usual comments on social media about "free-riding royals", "anachronistic parasites", blah blah.

Buckingham Palace looks like an impressive Old People's Home. The government should take note :vs

When the current occupants finally depart we can sell it....to cover the Brexit divorce bill ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Hes thought to have at some point offended every country on earth lol.

But as i said fair dues - 95 years old and still working - time for a breather.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Some of his classic remarks ;

"I declare this thing open, whatever it is." (on a visit to Canada in 1969).

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout)

"It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999)

"You are a woman, aren't you?"(In Kenya, in 1984, after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

"Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (in Thailand, in 1991, after accepting a conservation award).

"Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." (in Australia, in 1992, when asked to stroke a Koala bear).

"You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly." (to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, in 1993).

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994).

"You managed not to get eaten, then?" (suggesting to a student in 1998 who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea that tribes there were still cannibals)

"There's a lot of your family in tonight." (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians in October 2009).

"The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS." (on meeting a Filipino nurse at a Luton hospital in February 2013)

"It's a pleasant change to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people." (to Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator).
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

newcastle wrote:Some of his classic remarks ;

"I declare this thing open, whatever it is." (on a visit to Canada in 1969).

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout)

"It looks as if it was put in by an Indian." (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999)

"You are a woman, aren't you?"(In Kenya, in 1984, after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

"Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (in Thailand, in 1991, after accepting a conservation award).

"Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." (in Australia, in 1992, when asked to stroke a Koala bear).

"You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly." (to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, in 1993).

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994).

"You managed not to get eaten, then?" (suggesting to a student in 1998 who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea that tribes there were still cannibals)

"There's a lot of your family in tonight." (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians in October 2009).

"The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS." (on meeting a Filipino nurse at a Luton hospital in February 2013)

"It's a pleasant change to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people." (to Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator).
did he know about the Brexit vote before everyone else?
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

The husband of Danish Queen Margrethe seems to enjoy retirement:

http://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/danish ... gypt-78688

20TH MARCH 2017

His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark, Queen Margrethe’s husband, has completed his annual winter holiday to Egypt.
Prince Henrik has almost annually gone on vacation over the last decade to the Arab nation to shorten the cold Danish winter. The Prince travelled straight to Egypt from a private vacation with his good friends Christian Kjaer and his wife, Susan Astani Kjær in the Caribbean.
Prince Henrik’s friend, Enan Galaly, owns several hotels in Egypt, and therefore, Prince Henrik tends to stay at one of these hotels. This time His Royal Highness travelled around the country and toured several of Egypt’s historical sites.

When Prince Henrik stayed in Sharm el-Sheikh, he praised Egypt in an interview with the Egyptian press; it was on “Al Qahera Al Youm” that the Prince met in the city which is also a popular destination for ordinary Danes. “I love being in Egypt,” said the Prince, and also revealed that he also had been in Cairo, Luxor, Alexandria and Aswan for brief periods.
“I can not remember how many times I have been in Egypt, but [it has to be] nearly 30 times,” told Prince Henrik who was in excellent spirits. The reason why His Royal Highness is so fond of Egypt, in addition to the good climate, is the nation’s friendly people. “I love Egypt; the Egyptians are a very warm and welcoming people,” he explained.

His Royal Highness has had few official mission since he retired. Furthermore, he has also been on many holidays and spent a lot of time alone on his French wine estate. He will not participate in the upcoming state visit from Belgium, but the Danish Royal Court revealed that Prince Henrik would be in attendance the funeral of Prince Richard on Tuesday.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark, Queen Margrethe’s husband, has completed his annual winter holiday to Egypt.
Prince Henrik has almost annually gone on vacation over the last decade to the Arab nation to shorten the cold Danish winter. The Prince travelled straight to Egypt from a private vacation with his good friends Christian Kjaer and his wife, Susan Astani Kjær in the Caribbean.
Prince Henrik’s friend, Enan Galaly, owns several hotels in Egypt, and therefore, Prince Henrik tends to stay at one of these hotels. This time His Royal Highness travelled around the country and toured several of Egypt’s historical sites.
It's a tough old life being a prince consort :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Prince Henrik has almost annually gone on vacation over the last decade to the Arab nation to shorten the cold Danish winter. The Prince travelled straight to Egypt from a private vacation with his good friends Christian Kjaer and his wife, Susan Astani Kjær in the Caribbean.
I never knew that travelling abroad shortened the cold weather back home! :mrgreen:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

My fav was when he was speaking to a Sikh police officer - cant remember the exact comment now but it had something to do with him not wearing a helmet because his turban would cushion any blows!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

He made another wry comment at the handing over ceremony of a African colony, as they lowered the Union Jack it got stuck, so they jiggled it up and down then up a bit more to free it. He turned to the new president and said something like "Oh have you changed your mind then?" :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:
I never knew that travelling abroad shortened the cold weather back home! :mrgreen:
Bit of a strange cove is old Henrik...love that hat! (It is a hat I assume?)

He has a thing about titles:

"It has been announced that Prince Henrik of Denmark's title will be changing. Queen Margrethe's husband, who is currently known as Prince Consort Henrik, is to have his titled simplified to Prince Henrik.

."It was his Royal Highness's own decision to change his title to the less formal Prince Henrik. Prince Henrik believes it is better suited to his current situation after retirement,” said the Royal House communications director to The Local.

The title change comes after the royal has spoken openly about wanting to be referred to as King. “I have always said that I should be a partner, but I am not considered as a partner because I'm not on the same level as my wife which is completely incomprehensible. All the queens in the history of the world have made their husbands King consort. (Ermmm....no they haven't)Why should I be under my wife? (A more comfortable position for her?)I don't accept it! I will never accept it,” he told Dutch reporters in 2015.

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/120 ... his-title/

Phil the Greek is our queen's consort...but not (unlike Victoria's husband Albert) styled Prince Consort....so he won't be giving anything up on retirement.

Whether, like Henrik, he's "under his wife"...I leave to your fertile imagination :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

If its his hair he would make a good mate for our Boris :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
If its his hair he would make a good mate for our Boris :lol:
Dear God.....don't let them breed! :a82: