What's in a name?

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

What's in a name?

Post by newcastle »

A couple in the US state of Georgia have won their legal battle to give their baby daughter the surname Allah.
The state had refused to issue a birth certificate for ZalyKha Graceful Lorraina Allah on the grounds that neither parent has that last name.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the case, called the decision a victory for free expression.
But the largest Muslim advocacy group in the US said the surname could be considered offensive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada ... e=facebook

I know a few guys called "Jesus".

There may even have been a court case with a witness called "Jehovah" :lol:

Anyway...Allah for a girl???

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:A couple in the US state of Georgia have won their legal battle to give their baby daughter the surname Allah.
The state had refused to issue a birth certificate for ZalyKha Graceful Lorraina Allah on the grounds that neither parent has that last name.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the case, called the decision a victory for free expression.
But the largest Muslim advocacy group in the US said the surname could be considered offensive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada ... e=facebook

I know a few guys called "Jesus".

There may even have been a court case with a witness called "Jehovah" :lol:

Anyway...Allah for a girl???
I often think that some parents deserve a slap from their offspring for the names they were given.

My initials are A.W.A.W

My father's initials?

A.W.A.W!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Naming your child "Allah" is all very well but imagine the chaos if they got lost in a shopping mall!

You could hardly go around calling for them without causing a major incident :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And no doubt any mail addressed to Allah will end up in the sorting office bin along with the ones to Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:And no doubt any mail addressed to Allah will end up in the sorting office bin along with the ones to Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy :lol:
Oh....I dunno.

My letters to Santa were usually acted upon. Not always in their entirety, but then I was sometimes over-optimistic ;)

And the tooth fairy regularly came up with sixpence. Miserable tight barsteward :cry:

I was told God was always listening......so letters to Him were not required. A verbal request, preferably delivered on one's knees, with a candle lit in offering, would suffice.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As a child, just before Xmas, our wish list was written on parer and held above the low flames of the coal fire. The dampener was opened and the resulting updraft then sucked the wish list up the chimney and up into the heavens for a fast and speedy delivery to Santa. This, of course, worked faultlessly every year as mother always used to check it for ''spelling mistakes.'' With the advent of gas central heating and my older years having now realized that Santa was about as real as hens teeth, I was filled full of sorrow [not[ towards those that no longer required a chimney, so had lost the direct line of communication to the man in red and understanding that the two most important people in a child's life could so easily con their children. Then the post office had a brilliant money spinning idea...
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Talking of the Post Office and Santa, I recall as a young child wanting a pair of football boots, but they were a bit pricey for my parents pocket, so I wrote a letter to Santa and stuck it in the nearest post box without even a stamp on it. I wrote in my best handwriting explaining that my parents could not afford to buy me those lovely shiny black ones with the white stripes sewn along the sides and the moulded studs as they cost £3 which was a lot of money at the time. Imagine my surprise when about a week later a letter arrived addressed to my mum and in it was two one pound notes, she told me years later that there was also a note inside that just said “Buy the lad some football boots, love Santa” Obviously the people in the sorting office had opened my letter to Santa and had a whip round to buy me some boots, I have always regretted that it was years later before she told me this and before I had sent Santa my thank you letter.

For anyone who wants to read it
Spoiler
Dear Santa,
Thank you so very much for sending my mum the money to buy me some football boots, there was just enough to buy me some of those plain leather ones with nailed on studs that you have to smear in dubbin to keep them waterproof. At least I now have a pair which I will treasure and I know that I asked you for £3 to buy the better ones with and I am sure you must have sent it, but I suppose those thieving ******** in the Post Office nicked some of it.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Talking of the Post Office and Santa, I recall as a young child wanting a pair of football boots, but they were a bit pricey for my parents pocket, so I wrote a letter to Santa and stuck it in the nearest post box without even a stamp on it. I wrote in my best handwriting explaining that my parents could not afford to buy me those lovely shiny black ones with the white stripes sewn along the sides and the moulded studs as they cost £3 which was a lot of money at the time. Imagine my surprise when about a week later a letter arrived addressed to my mum and in it was two one pound notes, she told me years later that there was also a note inside that just said “Buy the lad some football boots, love Santa” Obviously the people in the sorting office had opened my letter to Santa and had a whip round to buy me some boots, I have always regretted that it was years later before she told me this and before I had sent Santa my thank you letter.

For anyone who wants to read it
Spoiler
Dear Santa,
Thank you so very much for sending my mum the money to buy me some football boots, there was just enough to buy me some of those plain leather ones with nailed on studs that you have to smear in dubbin to keep them waterproof. At least I now have a pair which I will treasure and I know that I asked you for £3 to buy the better ones with and I am sure you must have sent it, but I suppose those thieving ******** in the Post Office nicked some of it.
:a8: :a8:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I never liked football at school, a kick about at home with the mates was OK. At junior school I was told that next week we had to start playing football, so needed the full kit. My parents were not able to buy all these sudden requirements, so begged, borrowed and stole [figuratively speaking Who2] One of those items needed, the boots, were given to my dad as a hand down for me to keep. They fitted perfectly, black with a white strip of leather down the side. As we marched onto the field to start the first play, my PE teacher called me over and asked me to lift my foot up so he could see the studs. Your not playing in those ''bully''boots lad, so sent me off, much to the amusement of the rest of the class. I had no problem wearing hand me downs, but that humiliated me. Apparently that was what boots with metal studs were called and were not liked on the filed. At least I got out of football for a few weeks until mother could afford a new pair with plastic studs that you got a little spanner with to screw them into the boot. Really high tech. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Dusak, these sudden requirements still happen, I hear many parents complaining about their child or even several children returning home with a letter saying as how they were going on a trip to X,Y, or Z and they need to bring in a certain amount of money for the trip, it must be hard for those on a low income.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I once new a guy called Michelle Prat he couldn't stand it, so changed it to Mike.... 8)

prat |prat| noun informal
1 Brit. an incompetent or stupid person; an idiot.
2 a person's buttocks.
ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (in sense 2): of unknown origin. Sense 1 dates from the 1960s.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

You obviously knew (with a K) quite a lot of prats in your social circle 8)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

My son was into Rugby but I insisted that he wear a mouthguard to protect his teeth. He was the only one in the team with one and hated it but I told him no guard no Rugby.
One Christmas I asked him what he would like and he said he needed a "box" a box what do you want a box for? Bit red faced he explained.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

carrie wrote:My son was into Rugby but I insisted that he wear a mouthguard to protect his teeth. He was the only one in the team with one and hated it but I told him no guard no Rugby.
One Christmas I asked him what he would like and he said he needed a "box" a box what do you want a box for? Bit red faced he explained.
:lol: :lol: Nice one Carrie :P