Brexit negotiations Mar 2017 - Mar 2019

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Brexit negotiations Mar 2017 - Mar 2019

Post by newcastle »

We're off!......and already there's a stumble at the first fence....the Order of Business.

May , in her letter of notification under Article 50, seemed to contemplate trade negotiations taking place in conjunction with everything else.

The EU this morning made it clear they wouldn't be talking about trade until the status of its citizens currently in UK was resolved and until the question of the UK's liabilities on leaving had been agreed, at least in principle.

Unless the EU can be persuaded to shift on this point (and it looks unlikely), the period for meaningful discussion on trade relationships will be squeezed to 18 months - possibly less.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Brexit negotiations Mar 2017 - Mar 2019

Post by Dusak »

From what I saw on the news yesterday they are all collectively acting like a schoolyard full of kids, shouting and squabbling among each other. The only difference being, there seems to be more than the usual just one school ground bully among them. God only knows what its going to be like towards the end of this year. :pp:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Watching others squabble can be amusing......but scary when they are doing it on the edge of a cliff :ct

"The EU need us more" Ukip leader insists Brexit negotiations will be EASY

THE European Union will bow down to Britain’s Brexit demands because the bloc needs “us more than we need them”, according to Paul Nuttall.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/755210 ... tions-easy

I doubt many agree with you, Mr. Nuttall.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Watching others squabble can be amusing......but scary when they are doing it on the edge of a cliff :ct

THE European Union will bow down to Britain’s Brexit demands because the bloc needs “us more than we need them”, according to Paul Nuttall.

Especially if they are still in denial.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

No doubt...but who thinks it is going to be easy?

Any names?

I saw Boris on the news looking cheerful....but then he always does! He even looked reasonably cheerful when Gove f*cked his bid for the premiership :lol:

You have to admire his stoicism in the face of adversity :cg

Maybe a departure from EU on WTO terms can be spun as acceptable :tk
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I dont care what terms we leave on as long as we leave.

Ive enough confidence in this country to believe we will ultimately be ok in the end.

My sentiments are an exact match of Simon Heffer's:

"If you told me id have to boil grass to eat if we left id still have voted leave".

My democracy is not for sale - at any price.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Sadly I can't read much of Simon Heffer as The Telegraph want me to pay for their output, even online, and I'm notoriously tight when it comes to paying money to read someone else's opinion....much preferring my own. Which is free.

Now if he'd stayed at the Daily Mail it would have been different. Much as I despise its journalism, it's free. Well...who'd pay for it...seriously!?

As a Cambridge man he can't be all bad, and the little I have read of his indicates a man of much wit. He was one of the few that predicted Trump's victory. Mr. Heffer has been rather quiet of late...I hope he's alright.

Let's hope it doesn't come to WTO terms. or eating boiled grass, Zooropa, but if it does, I'll send you some recipes to make it palatable ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Sadly I can't read much of Simon Heffer as The Telegraph want me to pay for their output, even online, and I'm notoriously tight when it comes to paying money to read someone else's opinion....much preferring my own. Which is free.

Agreed

Now if he'd stayed at the Daily Mail it would have been different. Much as I despise its journalism, it's free. Well...who'd pay for it...seriously!?

Not sure, about as many people who would the Guardian?

As a Cambridge man he can't be all bad, and the little I have read of his indicates a man of much wit. He was one of the few that predicted Trump's victory. Mr. Heffer has been rather quiet of late...I hope he's alright.

Hes no longer at the Telegraph ( left in 2010 i think) Now at the Daily "free to read online" Mail - fill your boots!

Let's hope it doesn't come to WTO terms. or eating boiled grass, Zooropa, but if it does, I'll send you some recipes to make it palatable ;)
As ever, you are too kind Newcastle - i bet it tastes all the sweeter when eaten under a sovereign sky

He makes some cameo appearances In the Brexit movie where if i recall correctly he utters said quote - at the very end i think. (link for your viewing pleasure below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqzcqDtL3k

Source:Youtube
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Heffer's Wiki entry :

Heffer worked for The Daily Telegraph until 1995. He worked as a columnist for the Daily Mail from 1995 to 2005. He rejoined the Telegraph in October 2005 as a columnist and associate editor. Martin Newland, the Daily Telegraph's editor at the time, described the newspaper as Heffer's "natural journalistic home".[2] He left the Telegraph in May 2011 to "pursue a role in journalism and broadcasting" and "complete a major literary project".[3] It had been speculated that his departure had been prompted by his constant attacks on David Cameron's government, of which the Telegraph is generally supportive.

Sadly....not at the Daily Mail any longer. Well...according to the not-always-accurate Wiki

I shall watch that Brexit clip when I've got a spare hour........always good to look at both sides of an argument - even if it's over, bar the shouting ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:Heffer's Wiki entry :

Heffer worked for The Daily Telegraph until 1995. He worked as a columnist for the Daily Mail from 1995 to 2005. He rejoined the Telegraph in October 2005 as a columnist and associate editor. Martin Newland, the Daily Telegraph's editor at the time, described the newspaper as Heffer's "natural journalistic home".[2] He left the Telegraph in May 2011 to "pursue a role in journalism and broadcasting" and "complete a major literary project".[3] It had been speculated that his departure had been prompted by his constant attacks on David Cameron's government, of which the Telegraph is generally supportive.

Sadly....not at the Daily Mail any longer. Well...according to the not-always-accurate Wiki

I shall watch that Brexit clip when I've got a spare hour........always good to look at both sides of an argument - even if it's over, bar the shouting ;)

Further quote from the same source:

Heffer has since rejoined the Daily Mail and edits a new online comment section, called RightMinds,[9] of the paper's online edition. Introducing the new site, the Mail announced that "MailOnline's new web community for politics, current affairs and controversy" would allow readers to "have your say on all of the opinions expressed on the site. Every article and blog invites your comment".[10][11]

Although he has not published on there in quite some time.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:Watching others squabble can be amusing......but scary when they are doing it on the edge of a cliff :ct

Especially if they are still in denial.
Hearing what a few of these politicians are saying, I think a lot assume the British public came down de Nile on the proverbial banana boat.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Maybe some snake oil is efficacious.....time will tell ;)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well we can thank The Bank of England for refusing to join in the debacle called the Euro.
If we had, we would be far deeper in the 'merde whilst we try to leave an already sinking ship.

If we get a half decent deal, I'll bet a few other Countries will rush to join us....
That's the fear for Europe, that there will be a stampede once we are gone....8)
Ps: Spain, Gibraltar ? screw them I see they happily cling on to Ceuta.
They as we, have lost our Empires as the remainders have lost, So just get used to it.

"Ruddy Johnny foreigner telling us what to do, 'What a tado'
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:
If we get a half decent deal, I'll bet a few other Countries will rush to join us....
Then we can form a new union! :wi

The Britannia Union.....all countries welcome to join (for a modest fee)....especially any who can afford to leave EU (we could offer easy terms to cover their divorce settlement?)

Frogs , Krauts, and Dagoes would obviously be barred...we haven't spent centuries fighting them for nothing.

Our laws, our courts, our parliament will be the ultimate authority.....one ring to rule them all etc. :ct

Whatever is left of the EU, the USA and countries far and wide will be hammering at our doors to offer advantageous trade deals.

What could possibly go wrong?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

When it comes to Spain & Gibraltar, we have it because it's always been useful.
We need to remind the Spanish we have kicked their arses in 1580-1804-1982.

So don't mess with Gibraltar,
I'm sure we have just as many firing positions facing Spain as we have facing the straits...
We were never stupid when it came to ruling......8)
ps: And whatever has Spain done for us ? besides:....
Wine
2nd homes
Chorizo
Paella
"Nacho" Eraso (Arsenal)
The Inquisition
Watneys' Red Barrel.
Ibiza
Kabbalism
Don Quixote
Manchego cheese
Palma Ham......

"Do not ask what Spain has done for us ? Ask what we have done for Spain ?
'answers on a postcard...... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

"Do not ask what Spain has done for us ? Ask what we have done for Spain?
Pirated their treasure galleons? :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

"Do not ask what Spain has done for us . Ask what we have done for Spain."
Sent them our finest minds? :tk

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The only advantage I can see about Brexit is that we may have to quit the Eurovision Song Contest. :a24:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:The only advantage I can see about Brexit is that we may have to quit the Eurovision Song Contest. :a24:
It would not surprise me if some of the hysterical idiots on the Remoan side actually think this is a possibility.

Sadly, its not.

What is the point of it anyway?

Nobody wants to win it because of the cost of hosting.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:The only advantage I can see about Brexit is that we may have to quit the Eurovision Song Contest. :a24:
It would not surprise me if some of the hysterical idiots on the Remoan side actually think this is a possibility.

Sadly, its not.

What is the point of it anyway?

Nobody wants to win it because of the cost of hosting.
I lost what little interest I had in it when Wogan died. Watching him take the p*ss out of this travesty of a competition was classic! :lol: