January Ticket Discounts

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

January Ticket Discounts

Post by BENNU »

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... r-hol.aspx

Ticket discounts at ancient Egyptian sites for holidays, through January

Egypt's antiquities ministry has announced a 20 percent discount on passes allowing access to archaeological sites around Egypt over the Coptic Christmas period and New Year, and through the month of January.

The discounts, which apply to the Luxor Pass and Annual Visitor Pass, are aimed at encouraging more foreign visitors to visit Egypt and celebrate the feast and New Year at archaeological sites, Minister of Antiquities Khaled El-Enany told Ahram Online.

The move is also intended to lure more Egyptian visitors to archaeological sites, thus helping to boost awareness of their distinguished cultural heritage.

Somaya Benyameen, head of the ministry's financial department, told Ahram Online that the Luxor Pass provides access to all archaeological sites and museums in Luxor for a period of five consecutive days.

Benyameen said there were two main categories of Luxor Pass, with varying prices for foreign visitors.

One category, including entry to the royal tombs of Queen Nefertari and King Seti I, costs $200 or €180 before the discount, with a student rate of $100 or €90. The second category, which excludes access to the two royal tombs, normally costs $100 or €90, with students paying $50 or €45.

The Annual Visitors Passes, meanwhile, include all open archaeological sites and museums across Egypt, with several options available.

The first is for foreign diplomats and foreigners who work in international and multinational companies in Egypt. With the tombs of Queen Nefertari and King Seti I, this costs before the discount $340 or €310. Without the two royal tombs, the price drops to $240 or €220.

The second option is for foreign residents in Egypt, normally costing $390 or €360 with the two tombs, and $290 pr €260 without them.

Annual passes are also provided for Egyptians and Arab residents in Egypt, costing just EGP 400, or EGP 100 for university students. School pupils and Egyptians over 60 of age are allowed free entry.

FarleyFlavors

Re: January Ticket Discounts

Post by FarleyFlavors »

This is the first time I've heard the prices in Euros. Anyone know if they're actually accepted or do they demand Yankee Dollar?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Maybe they've woken up - rather late in the day - to the fact that there are likely to be at least as many bearers of euros as dollars around Luxor at the present time.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

The problem is when you go you are told its for locals and paper wavers by the custodians. We went to the free Museum Day, and were told we would need to pay we are not locals, so check before you go.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

So you find the attractions interesting if they are free, but if you have to pay you are not interested? No wonder you never go out, have you in all this time not developed a circle of friends no matter how small? Do you not have any hobbies, take up photography or painting, both are cheap to do. Do you not organise a social get together with friends at least once a week, or get invites to the same from others? Have you involved yourself in other local events like lectures or quiz nights, organise such an event yourself at a local venue or attend other events that do not involve trying to change the local way of life or expat meetings that try to do the same? Buy a fishing rod and take up sport fishing, there are loads of fish in the Nile or hire a pony and learn to ride if you don't already, then go trekking. If I lived where you do I could find a thousand things to keep me entertained and like my life now, once I get the daily chores and general maintenance out of the way I am struggling to find the time for all the things I want to do. I often wondered how I ever managed to go to work and do all the things I like doing before I retired, now I am retired I still don't have enough time in a day.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote:The problem is when you go you are told its for locals and paper wavers by the custodians.
BENNU wrote: The discounts, which apply to the Luxor Pass and Annual Visitor Pass, are aimed at encouraging more foreign visitors to visit Egypt and celebrate the feast and New Year at archaeological sites, Minister of Antiquities Khaled El-Enany told Ahram Online.