Sinai plane crash - report

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Sinai plane crash - report

Post by newcastle »

The investigating committee determines plane brought down by bomb.

Egyptian members still refuse to accept this conclusion.

Al-Masry Al-Youm

An international committee of experts investigating the downing of a Russian passenger plane in Sinai in October 2015 has confirmed that a bomb exploded on the plane, saying the device was planted in the rear section of the fuselage, Russia Today reported on Tuesday.

Terrorists planted a handmade time-bomb in an area dedicated to storing baby carriages, the committee of experts said, according to Russia Today.

The explosion led to the separation of the plane's tail section, causing complete loss of flight control, upon which the aircraft plummeted to the ground, said the Russian news channel. The experts said that the majority of passengers would have been killed by the sudden loss of pressure while the plane was still in the air.

The committee suggested that the bomb was probably planted by an employee at Cairo International Airport.

The investigators had earlier announced that they had finished examining the wreckage, which they had been carefully assembling in order to find the cause of the crash.
However, Mohamed Zamzam, former Chairman of the Egyptian Airports Company, said there is no proof that the plane was brought down by a bomb on board.

He said that the explosion identified by the committee was a technical issue with the rear part of the plane that had already been flagged up in technical reports.

Zamzam objected to the suggestion that an airport employee had planted the bomb, saying that only the security services are qualified to verify such a claim.

The Russian passenger jet was brought down en route from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg, with the loss of all 224 passenters and crew on board.

Russia has long said a bomb destroyed the airliner, a theory backed up by Egyptian Presient Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, although international investigators are still seeking evidence of exactly what happened.

The Islamic State terroist group claimed responsiblity for the attack, saying that a group member had planted the bomb, which was hidden in a soft-drink can.

In a statement, the group said it had brought the plane down in response to Russian airstrikes on militant forces in Syria. President Sisi said that the terrorists had intended to strike at both Russia and Egypt, seeking to harm relations between allied nations, both of which are battling against insurgents.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm

http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/r ... estigators

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Sinai plane crash - report

Post by Bombay »

Good job he is the ex head of the airports.
I have always believed the reason for such a long delay for the return of flights is more die to staff issues than passenger issues otherwise no airport would be working if you could not protect against these issues.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:The committee suggested that the bomb was probably planted by an employee at Cairo International Airport.
This is the first time it has been suggested that the plighted plane had visited Cairo.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

One assumes all Egypt airplanes arrive in Cairo sometimes during their lifetime, sort of QED... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Brian Yare wrote:
newcastle wrote:The committee suggested that the bomb was probably planted by an employee at Cairo International Airport.
This is the first time it has been suggested that the plighted plane had visited Cairo.
It visited Cairo regularly 14 years before! When it was operated by a different airline and where it was involved in a "tailstrike"
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:
It visited Cairo regularly 14 years before! When it was operated by a different airline and where it was involved in a "tailstrike"
The mention of the bomb being possibly planted by an employee at Cairo airport puzzled me too.

Maybe the plane had been there recently. Or it's a (not unusual) example of misreporting/mis-translation by EgyptIndependent and they meant Sharm airport.

It's unusual for a report to point ( albeit "probably") to the culprit....unless there's more evidence in the report which is not disclosed in this brief article. Air disaster official reports generally strive not to speculate.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I thought some of the earlier reports and articles about this disaster had mentioned Cairo airport. I seem to recall thinking it was odd at the time but wondered if the plane had done some hopper journeys immediately before picking up at Sharm. I could be wrong though and am confusing this with something else.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I thought some of the earlier reports and articles about this disaster had mentioned Cairo airport. I seem to recall thinking it was odd at the time but wondered if the plane had done some hopper journeys immediately before picking up at Sharm. I could be wrong though and am confusing this with something else.
Maybe you're thinking of the MS804 Paris to Cairo crash.

That plane had been all over the shop shortly before it went down in the Med.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:I thought some of the earlier reports and articles about this disaster had mentioned Cairo airport. I seem to recall thinking it was odd at the time but wondered if the plane had done some hopper journeys immediately before picking up at Sharm. I could be wrong though and am confusing this with something else.
Maybe you're thinking of the MS804 Paris to Cairo crash.

That plane had been all over the shop shortly before it went down in the Med.
:urm: Quite possibly.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I recall mention that the plane had recently come from Istanbul. Hence the animocity between Russia and Turkey immediately after the crash.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

In Newcastle's first post the investigating committee stated that they thought that the bomb had been planted by an employee at Cairo Airport so the plane must have called in there?