22 Chinese tourists injured in Luxor hot air balloon

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

22 Chinese tourists injured in Luxor hot air balloon

Post by DJKeefy »

Twenty-two Chinese tourists were injured in Luxor on Tuesday after a hot air balloon made an emergency landing in Al-Habil village east of Luxor.

Officials say that the tourists sustained minor injuries, such as bruises and scratches, and were transferred to Luxor International hospital. Local media outlets reported that the tourists received treatment and were discharged from the hospital.

The balloons are known for attracting high-paying tourists. A two-hour balloon trip costs approximately $100, while prices for special trips lasting two hours or more can cost as much as $500.

In February 2013, a hot air balloon carrying tourists crashed near Luxor after the fuel supply caught fire, resulting in 18 people killed and three injured.

The deceased passengers included tourists from Hong Kong, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, Hungary, and Egypt. Two British citizens and the pilot were injured.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/08/3 ... r-balloon/

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: 22 Chinese tourists injured in Luxor hot air balloon

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I read a number of news posts about this and most, like this one, were a good example of bad reporting. I think the article above did not actually give the date of February balloon disaster, implying that it was this year.

The general impression I have from what I've read is that the wind changed suddenly - it can do that in the real world - and the balloon was heading to the east bank. The pilot controlled his balloon and made a landing which was a hard, or bumpy, landing. Some of the passengers suffered minor injuries - bumps and bruises - but were taken to the International Hospital to be treated. They later joined the rest of the tour group for a visit to Karnak Temple.

The fact is that bumpy or hard landings can happen. That is the nature of ballooning and the risk you take when you go on such a flight. Any good balloon pilot will explain all of this to the passengers during the briefing, and some companies have it written down and you have to sign that you have had such things explained to you and understand before you ever get in the balloon.
Bad landings are unfortunate but on the whole rare.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

If there are any balloonist around you can always check the weather before going aloft.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... ,22.45,444
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:If there are any balloonist around you can always check the weather before going aloft.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... ,22.45,444
Bit late if you paid already
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

DJKeefy wrote:Twenty-two Chinese tourists were injured in Luxor on Tuesday after a hot air balloon made an emergency landing in Al-Habil village east of Luxor.

Officials say that the tourists sustained minor injuries, such as bruises and scratches, and were transferred to Luxor International hospital. Local media outlets reported that the tourists received treatment and were discharged from the hospital.

The balloons are known for attracting high-paying tourists. A two-hour balloon trip costs approximately $100, while prices for special trips lasting two hours or more can cost as much as $500.

In February 2013, a hot air balloon carrying tourists crashed near Luxor after the fuel supply caught fire, resulting in 18 people killed and three injured.

The deceased passengers included tourists from Hong Kong, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, Hungary, and Egypt. Two British citizens and the pilot were injured.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/08/3 ... r-balloon/

Its a pretty shoddy publication at the best of times especially its reporting on the current and future tourism. I should not worry about it no one else reporting it only the Egyptian's and not the main ones at that.
I think they employ journalists who fail their 11+ so don't get taken then by the BBC.

There was a balloon accident in Texas a couple of weeks ago its now second to the Luxor accident for lose of life it's terrible that anyone should die but its a dangerous activity/sport.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

A few days before took a picture of a balloon so low in the Nile surprised it did not dunk the passengers :o
It is what it is.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's the spice of life a 'bit of excitement in an else-wise a boring life.
'Bit like those idiots jumping off tall buildings wearing a burkini only with wings.... 8)
Ps: bet they'll be boring their friends for years as to their 'near death experiences' Over 'the land of the dead'

Example: Dāng wǒ fēiyuè sǐwáng zhī dì = "when I was flying over the land of the dead
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I bet what was once the Sheraton are nipping their butt cheeks tightly. :lol:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt suspends hot air balloon flights over Luxor for three days,.

Egypt has halted hot air balloon rides over the tourist city of Luxor for three days due to poor weather conditions, days after tens of tourists were wounded in a balloon crash landing.

The Civil Aviation Ministry said Wednesday that the temporary ban is due to "bad weather" and "strong winds" in the city and will be in place until weather improves.

Authorities has adopted a range of safety measures ahead of an 8-day international festival due to be hosted in December, Ahmed Abboud, the head of hot air balloon operators in Luxor, told Egypt's MENA state news agency.

Abboud says hot air balloons will be monitored by cameras, connected to ground stations by transponders and equipped with a GPS tracking system.

Ballons will be banned from flying above 2,000 meters, he added.

On Tuesday, 22 Chinese tourists suffered minor injuries in a crash landing in Luxor caused by strong winds.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/242147.aspx
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Curiouser and curiouser.

Balloons are not launched in other than pretty still air conditions.

I suppose freak winds springing up are always a possibility but it's the job of the guys at the airport to asses the likely wind conditions each morning and allow/refuse flights accordingly.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

DJKeefy wrote:
Authorities has adopted a range of safety measures ahead of an 8-day international festival due to be hosted in December, Ahmed Abboud, the head of hot air balloon operators in Luxor, told Egypt's MENA state news agency.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/242147.aspx

I hope this event is publicised, with accurate information, well in advance of the event. I think it would be a wonderful to see or take part in.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I understood that the decision about whether or not ballooning could take place on any day was made by an official at Luxor Military International Airport.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Are any balloon flyers licensed?

Is there any licensing system. Does this system learn from mistakes and get rid of cowboys?

Are the company's/staff who killed the others still in operation?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Hafiz wrote:Are any balloon flyers licensed?

Is there any licensing system. Does this system learn from mistakes and get rid of cowboys?

As far as I know, all the operating companies and the pilots currently operating are licensed and the companies carry insurance. If there were any unlicensed operators I expect they've disappeared since the 2013 disaster after which the procedures, inspections etc. were tightened up.

I'm not aware that Sky Cruise...the operator involved in the 2013 incident....is still in business. I'd have thought it unlikely and their Facebook page has been inactive since April 2013.

I believe Sky Cruise was a licensed and insured operator at the time.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Hafiz wrote:Are any balloon flyers licensed?

All ballon pilots are highly trained and certified, 'mind you some more than others, and the ego 'I'm a super cool pilot does tend to surface.

But as in all, there is good, there is cheap, there is bad and then there is the best, If you pay peanuts, expect to get monkeys..

This is Egypt there are many cowboy's do your homework first..... 8)

Ps; Bet you never ever check out, the last time the plane your on was fully FAA checked over, only until it ends up in the Med..
How do you think Easyjet can be so cheap / they cut corners on everything including servicing there are many millions of little things on a plane only One has to be missed.........
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.