6 policemen jailed for torturing detainee to death in Egypt

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

6 policemen jailed for torturing detainee to death in Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

A court in Upper Egypt on Tuesday handed down jail terms to six policemen after convicting them of torturing a detainee to death in the country’s latest crackdown on abusive police personnel, legal sources said.

The Criminal Court in the southern city of Qena sentenced a police officer to seven years in prison and five police detectives to three years in jail each in the case that sparked anti-government protests last year, the sources added.

Seven co-defendants were acquitted. The court also ordered the interior minister, in charge of police, to pay 1.5 million Egyptian pounds in compensation to the victim’s family.

All the rulings can be appealed.

The case is related to the death of Talaat Al Shabeeb in the southern Egyptian city of Luxor in police custody last November.

Al Shabeeb, 45, was arrested at a cafe in his hometown Luxor allegedly for possessing drugs. Later, he was pronounced dead and his family accused police of torturing him to death.

News of his death triggered angry street protests in Luxor.

The victim suffered fractures in the neck resulting in a rupture in the spinal cord, according to an official forensics report published in local media.

In recent months, rights groups and the opposition have claimed widespread violations by security agencies in Egypt.

Earlier this year, President Abdul Fattah Al Sissi ordered the Interior Ministry to submit proposals to parliament for toughening penalties against policemen found guilty of human rights abuses.

The government says that police violations are “isolated acts” and wrongdoers are punished.

Tuesday’s verdict is the latest in a series against policemen accused in different cases of fatal torture or shooting at ordinary people in street fights.

In March, an Egyptian court sentenced a policeman to life in prison for shooting dead a driver in a Cairo street.

Police brutality was a key driving force for a 2011 popular uprising that eventually forced long-standing president Hosni Mubarak to step down.

Source: http://gulfnews.com/news/mena/egypt/six ... -1.1861253

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: 6 policemen jailed for torturing detainee to death in Eg

Post by newcastle »

"Police brutality was a key driving force for a 2011 popular uprising that eventually forced long-standing president Hosni Mubarak to step down."

Maybe Sisi has taken note?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

An ostrich does this when faced with a problem I think! Brutality by the authorities will always hold this place back, there needs to be some form of proper understanding. I noticed no mention of the Police Officers names, and or if the commanding Officer on duty that day was punished for the lack of proper management of the people under him. The act was in actual fact manslaughter, nothing more nothing less, and the sentencing for this offence throughout Africa seems lenient to say the least. (Referring to Pistorious)
I have video from when I was a tourist going back ten years ago from an incident on the cornishe involving authority and a youth and a 6' cane.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:An ostrich does this when faced with a problem I think! Brutality by the authorities will always hold this place back, there needs to be some form of proper understanding. I noticed no mention of the Police Officers names, and or if the commanding Officer on duty that day was punished for the lack of proper management of the people under him. The act was in actual fact manslaughter, nothing more nothing less, and the sentencing for this offence throughout Africa seems lenient to say the least. (Referring to Pistorious)
I have video from when I was a tourist going back ten years ago from an incident on the cornishe involving authority and a youth and a 6' cane.
Perhaps it's just as well then that you will be long gone when the appeals in this case are heard, the sentences quashed, or reduced to a smack on the wrist, and life continues, as it has for millennia, in the Land of the Pharaohs :lol:

Letting the brutality of day-to-day life, the grinding poverty, the appalling state of the infrastructure, the lack of morals and pervasive corruption get to you will, eventually, drive you insane.

Maybe ostriches have the right idea...honed by millions of years of evolution. :cg
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Do you think that will happen Newc? i just think it will dissapear from the media from now.

Everyone is waiting with baited breath to find out about the fire on the plane that crashed in the Med. it was the media that said that it seemed from the black boxes there was an attempt to distinguish a fire.

Same with the Aircrash in Sinai nothing even though the black boxes were found.

Its doing a lot of unnessacary damage to the Countries reputation overseas, and no one can see it!

It like calling for European Companies to start flights back to Egypt, well what about Egypt Air making an effort, why should it be left to other Countries, after all its Egypt that needs tourists (Or so they say, but I have my doubts), its not European Countries that need Egypt, they have plenty of holiday hotspots they can fly to with full aircraft. For a start Egypt Air can start a budget division so that Tourists can afford to travel, at the moment all the discounts are for business class and locals, so nothing on offer for tourism, and thats why I say does Egypt want to restart its tourism? What about the tourist Industry clubbing together joining forces and developing a budget airline. To keep calling for other Countries to start flying again will soon start to fall on deaf ears.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It'll disappear....to be remembered, briefly, at the appeal stage. These kinds of incidents are too commonplace in Egypt to be newsworthy,

Incidentally, the sentences were lighter than those meted out to some people who did no more than protest at the recent decision over the transfer of 2 islands to Saudi Arabia.

I've long since reached the stage of being immune to "tragedies" in Egypt. They don't affect me personally....I take note, perhaps make the odd comment, and move on.

Even last night's horror in Nice doesn't seem to impinge. The world is full of horror nowadays.

If the situation in Egypt bothered me, I'd do what you are doing...up sticks and move.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Before casting the first stone:.......you ostriches....
827 people have died during or following police contact since 2004 in the United Kingdom.
Deaths in British police custody: no convicted officers since 1969...... 8)

https://www.opendemocracy.net/opensecur ... since-1969

PC 49: "Oh! he must have slipped down the steps a few times, Sarge!"
phpBB [video]

Ps: Bi polar most of them the nice & the nasty cop routine, they are all 'closet schizophrenics...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Claims made by web sites like this often manipulate the figures to suit their own agenda and this one is no different. When confronted by a stark figure of deaths in police custody it is easy to just accept them and to gasp at the high numbers involved, but when taken over a long period of years and considering many of the people they are dealing with have other social problems such as drug addiction or mental health issues, then the headline figures look much different. Whilst I would agree that there are and have been a number of ‘suspect’ deaths in police custody, it is not a true reflection of our policing system in general.

When proper statistics are checked you find that for example the actual deaths occurring in police custody amounts to 355 over a 15 year recording period, which amounts to around 24 deaths per year, but this does not mean that even those deaths are all attributable to some sort of police brutality, but rather to some of the other factors I have mentioned. It is also worth adding that since 2000 and including 2014 those yearly average deaths have fallen in most subsequent years from around 30 per/year between 2000 and 2007 to below 17 per/year up to 2014, I think that our figures will stand up very well when compared to any that Egypt could offer.

For the real facts on deaths in custody for all UK institutions:
http://iapdeathsincustody.independent.g ... d-2014.pdf
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes Horus when I was in the force we had two deaths in custody in one month, one was an internally hidden drugs carton bursting and one was a mentally ill person comitting suicide. But again I do not know if these would be recorded in the same way.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

MT, those figures are for all deaths in state custody whether that be inside of prisons or other intitutions and include police custody and in most cases it is down to something like suicide, drug overdose, or other health problems, very few cases in the overall total are directly as a result of the police being brutal in some way, but of course a few are and those are usually exposed at some point.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I think the Doctor was waxing all biblical on us:

The New Testament text is as follows:

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

— Matthew 7:1-5 KJV (Matthew 7:1-5 other versions)

Forgets motes and beams. In the case of Egyptian Security Apparatus v. HM Constabulary, I would respectfully suggest that anything in the eye of the latter is but a fleck of sawdust compared to the veritable forest in the eye of the former. :ct
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

I love the irony in local newspapers:

'Earlier this year, President Abdul Fattah Al Sissi ordered the Interior Ministry to submit proposals to parliament for toughening penalties against policemen found guilty of human rights abuses"

As if the issue was penalties, although the President's 'order' might play well to the cheap seats. As if the issue was human rights abuses (code for alien western values) but this phrase plays well in NY. Rather than human rights abuses thought the problem was murder, manslaughter and grievous bodily harm. They are probably already on the statutes. :urm:

The lack of a independent police investigations body may have a bit more to do with it. At present I assume it is the cops investigating the cops so Its probably a miracle that any cop is ever convicted. Whoa, an internal investigations initiative might send them back to their barracks where not even Morsi was able to find them last time they felt they were being 'undervalued'. They were gone a whole year and their return proved the adage that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Lesson learned.

Too hard, leave the solution to the outcome of the 'order' which is so important that the newspaper cannot identify the date of its issue. :?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Any irony in the Egyptian press is purely coincidental..

You have to sympathise with journalists here....reduced to bald statements of incontrovertible fact or sycophantic opinion pieces toeing the party line.

Any departure puts your career, or you yourself, in peril.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

From what I hear there has been a sudden upsurge in the practice of self flagellation devotees in Egypt. The practitioners of this ancient rite require a small quiet room, sometimes referred to as a cell, to indulge.

Flagellation (Latin flagellum, "whip"), flogging, whipping or lashing is the act of beating the human body with special implements such as whips, lashes, rods, switches, the cat o' nine tails, the sjambok, etc. Typically, flogging is imposed on an unwilling subject as a punishment; however, it can also be submitted to willingly, or performed on oneself, in religious or sadomasochistic contexts.

The strokes are usually aimed at the unclothed back of a person, in certain settings it can be extended to other corporeal areas. For a moderated subform of flagellation, described as bastinado, the soles of a person's bare feet are used as a target for beating (see foot whipping).

In some circumstances the word "flogging" is used loosely to include any sort of corporal punishment, including birching and caning. However, in British legal terminology, a distinction was drawn (and still is, in one or two colonial territories) between "flogging" (with a cat-o'-nine-tails) and "whipping" (formerly with a whip, but since the early 19th century with a birch). In Britain these were both abolished in 1948.

Unfortunately, due to price increases across the board, only sticks, sometimes called batons, are now available.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: Whilst I would agree that there are and have been a number of ‘suspect’ deaths in police custody, it is not a true reflection of our policing system in general.

"Really ?

Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Who2 wrote:Quote: Whilst I would agree that there are and have been a number of ‘suspect’ deaths in police custody, it is not a true reflection of our policing system in general.

"Really ?

Yes really, some abuse occurs in every society, it is not endemic in ours regardless of a few examples.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It reminds me of all those people who walk around with their faces & minds into their mobile phones.
They fall over cliffs get run over but prefer to bury their heads in their own little isolated worlds.

And they wonder why phone theft is such a popular crime, f**in nit whits... 8)
Sophocles.
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Did anyone else see the documentary on BBC world earlier about deaths of conscripts in egypt? It was on about half eleven egypt time. It was quite sad. A family from the west bank in luxor was on it.

Sent from my dodgy Samsung using Tapatalk
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes, watched it, but only one sided when the powers that be refused to talk. Does silence indicate guilt, or do the guilty just remain silent.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Goddess wrote:Did anyone else see the documentary on BBC world earlier about deaths of conscripts in egypt? It was on about half eleven egypt time. It was quite sad. A family from the west bank in luxor was on it.

Sent from my dodgy Samsung using Tapatalk
I watched it......twice.

Surprised? Not really.

Disturbed? In a way....but I'm past that. Seen too much - and not only in Egypt. There's been some reports of abuse/bullying even in the UK forces....allegedly leading to suicides.

I know young Egyptians are terrified of ending up in the CSF for their national service....and it's mainly the illiterate/uneducated/poorest.