Habu Temple

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Habu Temple

Post by carrie »

Thanks I did know what the "ruins" within the walls where it was the "ruins" in the distance that I was referring to. Next time I go I will look see if I can see the Ramasseum, doubt it with the amount of homes having been built in the area.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I am a little curious to know the exact location of the 1st Century Christian Temple that is within the Habou Temple complex, and no, I do not mean the area of the ruins of the late 4 Century remains discovered in the central southern section of the Habou Complex.

This was the first Christian Temple in Upper Egypt before the congregation moved South to Elephantine Island, Aswan, before eventually moving on to Ethiopia.

Note. This information is not available via Wiki. :wi .
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have visited inside the gates of Habu Temple on more than one occasion, but my best memories of it will always be those from the outside looking in. Watching, from the roof top of a friends house which was just outside the perimeter walls of the temple complex, the colours of the stone change, and the shadows emerge as the sun set wall has left it's impression on me.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hepzibah I think it is the most magical place in Luxor. Gebel el Silsila my first favorite but Habu is a very close second.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I agree about Gebel el Silsila Carrie, I first saw it from a cruise boat way back and it intrigued me. Because of the way the tombs are cut out of the rock face so to speak and the elaborate facades, it reminds me very much of the tombs (I use the term loosely) at Petra in Jordan.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I love Gebel el Silsila too - the wonderful peach colour of the sand, the silence. Very atmospheric. I wish it was still possible to explore the far side.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yildez wrote: I wish it was still possible to explore the far side.
Sorry Yildez, could you explain a little clearer. Do you mean the west bank, where the tombs are, or the east bank, where although little interest is shown, this is the place where the sandstone quarries are that were exploited to build the Ramesseum.

On most occasions when I have visited this area it has been by road, when on my way to Asswan, therefore have crossed over the river to the WB using one of the boats provided by the Egyptian Antiquities Authority (free of charge to ALL visitors).

Are there now new restrictions that apply at this site ?
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Yes A4, the East Bank, sorry I wasn't clear. You can still go to the river bank where the boats wait to cross to the West Bank, but there is no public access to the site. From what I've read there are tombs and shrines, as well as the quarries, and I understand it's possible to go with special permission and a guide. However, that's exceptional, as the official line is that the site is too dangerous, and access is limited to archaeologists.

I always go direct to the West Bank; my replacement knees are not too keen on small boats!