Worst Mass Shooting in the USA

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Worst Mass Shooting in the USA

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sadly a lone gunman professing is allegiance to ISIS opened fire on a Florida Orlando nightclub killing over 50 and injuring 53. This particular shooter called 911 and professed his allegiance to ISIS.

Another horrendous tragedy.

Thousands are affected as Orlando Florida is a prime holiday destination and many must be checking if their loved one was involved.

Across the country in Santa Monica California another heavily armed individual was arrested last evening - explosive powder, assault weapons and military type gear. Nobody is sure 'yet' if this is related or not. Today in California is "Gay Pride" Day.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Worst Mass Shooting in the USA

Post by Horus »

Just in time to boost Donald Trumps election chances and improve the UK's 'Brexit' vote from the EU.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Just in time to boost Donald Trumps election chances and improve the UK's 'Brexit' vote from the EU.
Your sentiments beat me to it H. Nonetheless, another very sad event for the families concerned.
Grandad :gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Obama just made a speech and called it "hate" ..... sadly unfortunately it is way more than that.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Give a load of mad Yanks the 'right to bear arms and what do you expect ?
Isis don't need to be in the USA, they have there own habit of killing each other quite randomly and more frequently.
Children & guns don't mix.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 1e90df0750

Authorities in Santa Monica, Calif. on Sunday detained a “heavily armed” man who had plans to go to a major Los Angeles-area pride event, stirring concerns about safety in the wake of the early morning mass shooting at a gay club in Florida.

The man who was detained said he was “coming to Pride,” Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti told reporters at a press conference, though the reasons he was armed and going to the Los Angeles Pride Festival in West Hollywood were not immediately clear.

He had “weapons and other dangerous material,” the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release, and was detained in Santa Monica on Sunday morning.

News of the arrest in California came hours after 50 people were killed and 53 others injured at Pulse, a gay bar and dance club in Orlando. The mass shooting was deemed the deadliest in U.S. history.

Santa Monica Police spokesman Saul Rodriguez told the L.A. Times that police were “not aware of what the suspect’s intentions were at this point.”

According to the Times:

Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said the suspect told police he was going to the pride parade to look for a friend. Authorities are now looking for that individual.

The FBI is assisting in the investigation, a spokeswoman said in a message to The Post.

“Any possible nexus with this individual and the Pride event in West Hollywood is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” the sheriff’s department said in its release.

The agency also noted: “Out of an abundance of caution, we have enhanced our security presence for the event and have tactical units at the ready to prevent and respond to any circumstances.”

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families of this horrific attack which occurred in Orlando early this morning,” the release stated. “While there are no specific or credible threats received by law enforcement for the greater Los Angeles area, our personnel maintain a heightened state of situational awareness and remain vigilant in the protection of our communities.”

Rodriguez told The Post that police were contacted at around 5 a.m. after someone spotted a man loitering and knocking on a door in a residential neighborhood. When authorities arrived on scene, they found him near his car.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is now hours later after this shooting. Officials have only identified 6 men. Families are desperate to know if their loved one is among the dead but the process is going extremely slow. One can only speculate as to why Law officials are unable to identify the deceased in this shooting so many hours after the fact.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:It is now hours later after this shooting. Officials have only identified 6 men. Families are desperate to know if their loved one is among the dead but the process is going extremely slow. One can only speculate as to why Law officials are unable to identify the deceased in this shooting so many hours after the fact.
Because the bodies are in a crime scene.
Plus they need to notify relatives before releasing the names publicly.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/blog/victims/
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Bombay - I don't disagree but 'usually' things move much quicker here. They've only now been able to identify 7 victims. The News media is also saying families are gathered and desperate to know if their loved one is/was involved.

To me the implication is the bodies are not easily identifiable :( :(

So sad and tragic.

Given the high number of wounded mega Surgeons from all over have been called in but at least the hospital closest to this horrible incident is a level 1 trauma center (means they have trauma surgeons available 24/7 and they stockpile blood). However there isn't sufficient blood so people are literally lined up waiting to be able to donate.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Luckily they don't usually have 50 victims to get through.
Possibly the delay is in notification.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I dunno - these people were in a bar - okay Gay bar - but implies to me all the 'men' would probably have wallets in their pockets so by projection (many lesbians go male) I'm saying 'at least' 60 to 65% should have ID on them. Might be more difficult to match up women's purses with the women they belong to but identification and notification of the families shouldn't be taking this long AND families are calling in demanding to know. Just seems highly irregular to me that identification is taking this long particularly when 7 have now been identified.

Granted the investigation is on and seems this Terrorist was born in New York however his father had Afghan affiliations and at one time aspired to be President of Afghanistan. Course working as a security guard gave this guy access to buying a weapon legally too.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Most of the victims have now been identified.

The LGBT community started a "Go Fund Me" page on Facebook and apparently in record time have collect now close to 2 million dollars to use to help fund the victims and their families of these tragedies. There is definitely an outpouring of support.

On the TV News they now have other people who worked with this Terrorist Shooter. These coworkers advised they complained about this Shooter as being very difficult to work with, angry, swear a lot, scream and make explosive noises, often sexist and religious references and had very few friends etc. He was the type of person nobody like, was divorced due to DV. His employers never acted out of fear of reprisal and while he was actually on the FBI watch list they ONLY ever watched him.

Seemingly this man was known as a 'crazy' yet in our highly PC world nobody acted to stop him.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

At what point in the spectrum of bizarre or anti-social behaviour exhibited by someone would you have us watch them 24/7, tag them or lock them up?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

At what point in the spectrum of bizarre or anti-social behaviour exhibited by someone would you have us watch them 24/7, tag them or lock them up?

I read somewhere that more US citizens have died from gun related violence in US than in all the wars combined and until they conclude that death on this scale is an unacceptable price to pay for the (more or less unrestricted ) right to bear arms, it will continue.

There will always be " crazies".
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree Newcastle there will always be crazies, but crazies else where in the world don't seem to find it so easy to buy guns.
Surely having been flagged up by the FBI this man should not have been allowed to go out shortly before the shooting and buy more.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

They don't always need guns, this morning we have news of another fanatic killing a policeman and his wife in France with a knife.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yes I have heard but at least they can't kill as many with a knife.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I agree Newcastle there will always be crazies, but crazies else where in the world don't seem to find it so easy to buy guns.
Surely having been flagged up by the FBI this man should not have been allowed to go out shortly before the shooting and buy more.
One of the aspects of gun control in US some people are trying to address is the information available on prospective purchasers. At the moment there seems relatively little checking.....and the gun lobby is fiercely opposed to any tightening of the regulations. Madness.

We may see some move on better circulation and exchange of relevant information. ...but then the "privacy" lobby will argue that that is an infringement of personal freedom.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I heard that last night at that 'horsy festival ( 'abul gamsaan ? ) up in Gurna the Horabat had a big fight with the Hashasheen.
And it might well continue tonight, tribes being tribal.....8)
Ps: And not a football fan insight!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This guy had a military style assault rifle using the type of bullets that cause maximum damage. IMO there is absolutely NO reason anybody should need to have a semi automatic or automatic weapon other than the military. Retailers shouldn't even be allowed to sell them or the ammunition for them.

NRA is a very powerful lobby and when you live in a society where everybody else seems to have a gun for protection...??? Another part of the issue is how do you get all these guns back and away from everybody? The mind set of those who own them isn't going to be to give them up easily (or at all).