We 'wos 'wobbed - Australia cheated in Eurovision.

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

We 'wos 'wobbed - Australia cheated in Eurovision.

Post by Hafiz »

We ‘wos ‘wobbed – Australia cheated of Eurovision – Major diplomatic incident expected.

We had the best song, the best dress and the best voice - but I must admit maybe not the best stage performance – a bit static sitting on a cube for half the song.

The reason we know we were the best is that the professional jury vote – composers, performers, DJ’s, etc from each of the 42 contesting countries – voted Australia winner by a whopping 50% of votes over our nearest rival. A wipe-out. You might think that the vote was over, but wait for the next step. We (Australian citizens) were then prohibited from participating in the subsequent viewers popular vote that decided the overall winner, but still managed to come second overall. By contrast all other participating countries were allowed to vote in both rounds. We ‘wos cheated.

Only the ‘Europeans” could have a ‘democratic’ system where everyone is allowed to vote except for one participant country – Australia. To add
insult to injustice - had Australia won we would have been prohibited from holding next years competition in our home country (as all other winners are entitled) so the story seems to be – thanks for the song – thanks for watching and getting our viewer numbers up - you can’t vote and you can’t benefit from winning. How fair is this? A final in Sydney beats Kiev hands down and it probably beats all other ‘European’ capital cities hands down as well. Surf, sun, sex, sand, flush toilets, booze, showers, good food, no Zika virus, electricity and soap. What more could you want? Unlike a 3rd of Eurovision participants we don’t lock gay people up and whilst Ukraine doesn't bang gay people up it is an overwhelming bigoted country.

As for those in the geographically challenged UK media (the bearded BBC leprechaun for example) who have questioned Australia’s right to participate because it is not ‘European’ (the spontaneous and unironical phrase was ‘let’s get rid of Australia’) – they have failed to notice that the horse bolted years ago with the participation of such ‘European’ countries as the Islamic Republic of Azerbaijan, those great European democracies Russia, Moldova and Belarus as well as Georgia, Armenia and, of course, ‘European’ Israel - so why not Australia. Maybe European geography is not included in the European school curriculum of silly UK TV hosts? For god’s sake the final was in far from European and democratic Baku several years ago – weren’t the BBC there at the time – don’t they remember the antics of the ‘president for life’ and the prominent role in TV performances of members of his artistically challenged family? Turkey was a participant from the 70s – were where the BBC complaints then or where are their complaints now that Turkey has withdrawn because on Conchita ‘degeneracy’? When will the midget get a brain as large as his mouth?

It’s almost as if the perennial losers are afraid of a bit of fresh competition – Australia was 5th last year in its first year of competition and second (a moral 1st) this year. In any event we were invited last year and Sweden unexpectedly invited us this year so we have some friends in Europe which is more than can be said for some.

The UK abandoned the wheelchairs and incontinence pads of some previous years and participated this year with pubescent charm and what must have been self-irony. The best result in 15 years.

Good luck to the winner Ukraine with a belter of a song that tactfully avoided all direct reference to Russia’s oppression, Stalin’s forced Tatar migrations and population ‘trimming’ and ‘editing’ policies as well as the current Russian invasion. You can sing a popular song obliquely about genocide and get people to listen. Amazing! A well deserved win for a blighted country that needs some good news.

Russia didn’t win (3rd) although it did make a formal protest before the final against the political nature of Ukraine’s song and, in typically Russian style, wanted it suppressed. The heroic democratic West Europeans resisted gamely. Wonder what Moldova and the other Russian client ‘Europeans’ would have decided If they had the vote? Are these countries ‘real’ Europeans as the BBC seems to ‘think’? As I write Pravda and Russian MP’s are challenging the result and not in the same way I am. There maybe some justice in the Eurovision voting system - even if I don’t like the result all of the time.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: We 'wos 'wobbed - Australia cheated in Eurovision.

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:o When did Australia become part of Europe?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

HEPZIBAH wrote::o When did Australia become part of Europe?
Not a lot of difference with the EU wanting to admit Turkey, (Asia) into the European Union I suppose Hepzi, the mind boggles, but well done Aussie all the same ;)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote::o When did Australia become part of Europe?
Israel has been counted in for Eurovision for many years.

They have been affiliated to UEFA since 1994 and are represented in various European football competitions. I have no idea why they are given these "privileges".
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

We quite often get asked, why can some countries which don't seem to be in Europe in a traditional sense, take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. Here's why.

Namely, all active Members (red on the map) of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) can take part in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Every year, the invitation to participate in the contest is sent out to all active Members. While some of them choose not to take part, most of them do.

So, the Participating Brodcasters have to be Members of the EBU. How can they become one?

Who can become Members of the EBU?
There are certain criterions for joining the EBU, one of the most important ones being in the European Broadcasting Area (more about it in the next tab!). But of course, there are other conditions:

Active membership of the EBU is open to broadcasting organisations or groups of such organisations from:

a member country of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) situated in the European Broadcasting Area as defined by the Radio Regulations annexed to the International Telecommunication Convention, or a member country of the Council of Europe which is situated outside the European Broadcasting Area
which provide in that country, with the authorisation of the competent authorities, a broadcasting service of national character and importance, and which furthermore prove that they fulfil all the conditions set out below:
(a) virtually all of the national radio and/or television households are in a position and technically equipped to receive the entirety of their major radio and/or television programme service with satisfactory technical quality;
(b) they are under an obligation to, and actually do, provide varied and balanced programming for all sections of the population, including programmes catering for special/minority interests of various sections of the public, irrespective of the ratio of programme cost to audience;
(c) they actually produce and/or commission at their own cost and under their own editorial control a substantial proportion of the programmes broadcast;
(d) they are not linked to a sports rights agency which engages in the acquisition of European television rights in competition with the EBU.

All members are invited....which explains why Israel is in.

Presumably Egypt, other North African countries and the rest of the Middle East declined!

Australia got in by special invitation.

Australia participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna, Austria. Owing to its cultural and political ties to European countries, the Eurovision Song Contest has been televised in Australia by the public broadcaster SBS for over thirty years. In honour of the contest's 60th running and in recognition of the event's popularity in Australia, it was announced on 10 February 2015 that Australia was to be invited to compete in the 2015 contest as a special guest participant. Australians have participated in and even won Eurovision as representatives of other countries. In 2015 for example, the Australian coloratura soprano of Armenian descent Mary-Jean O'Doherty participated in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 contest as part of the group Genealogy[1] representing Armenia. But this marked the first time that the country has officially participated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... ntest_2015
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well that was interesting :up thanks for posting
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Some time back someone (GD?) proposed a contest for who could come up with a topic which hadn't been flogged to death previously on L4U.

Maybe Hafiz has won?!

Of course without trawling through previous posts I can't be sure. Maybe there's someone here who keeps tabs on everything.... :urm: ....?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Maybe, just maybe ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Personally speaking I think that the Eurovision song contest is the ideal answer for those with a headache that are thinking of taking just the one painkiller, to empty the full bottle down the hatch.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

:))) @ Hafiz! Yes we woz!

I just love the way the "Europeans" make the rules to suit themselves, then break them to suit themselves, then spit the dummy when it backfires and get their knickers in a twist when everyone gets upset.

Both Guy and Danni did us proud.

I was a bit miffed when Denmark gave their 12 points to Ukraine (though they did have a great song). Disloyal lot. We want our princess back! :x

Absolutely everything about it is so OTT and bizarre, it can't be beaten and should never be taken seriously. I never miss it. Best entertainment on TV!
Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: just love the way the "Europeans" make the rules to suit themselves, then break them to suit themselves, then spit the dummy when it backfires and get their knickers in a twist when everyone gets upset.

And people, daft people that is want to stay in the EU, spare me my diatribe.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

"Both Guy and Danni did us proud." Oops...Damn auto correct...Dami.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I don't think I've seen/heard the Eurovision Song Contest this century. I didn't even realise it was on.
Who represented the UK ? What did they sing? Were they any good?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I never understood what Israel :evil: was doing in Eurovision, but now at least we got an explanation from Newcastle.

:o Australia!???!!! :o Australia was in the contest?!??!!!

:| Who cares?!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Winged Isis wrote::)))

I was a bit miffed when Denmark gave their 12 points to Ukraine (though they did have a great song). Disloyal lot. We want our princess back! :x
Your princess?! Princess of Australia?! When were you ever a monarchy?!
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Mary. Some firmly believe we are a monarchy. :roll:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Winged Isis wrote:Mary. Some firmly believe we are a monarchy. :roll:
But you are! :lol:

Australia is a Constitutional Monarchy with HM Queen Elizabeth II as head of state.

"Australia is a constitutional monarchy. This means that the head of State is a monarch, or sovereign, who is governed and bound by the Constitution."

http://australianpolitics.com/democracy ... l-monarchy

The Commonwealth of Australia was established as a constitutional monarchy. 'Constitutional' because the Commonwealth of Australia was established with a written constitution, and 'monarchy' because Australia's head of state was Queen Victoria.

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-gover ... federation

Of course Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark, is NOT a princess of Australia (not being a member of the British (and hence Australian) royal family. She has to make do with being a princess of Denmark :a80:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

newcastle wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:Mary. Some firmly believe we are a monarchy. :roll:
"But you are! :lol: "

Technically, in law, but staunch republicans such as I would just ignore that (hence my rolled eyes above). :D

She's done a fab job, has dear Queeny, but she would be the first to agree we have long grown up and ceased to need her. We can wait till she moves on to the next kingdom to change. Anything else would be rude and unnecessary.

"She has to make do with being a princess of Denmark :a80:"

Yes, poor dear, and what an asset she is for them.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Winged Isis wrote: "She has to make do with being a princess of Denmark :a80:"
Crown Princess, future Queen of Denmark. Countess of Monpezat. And you expect our loyalty and votes in return of "your princess"!?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

At some point these eerie lookalikes will be queens of, respectively, Denmark and Great Britain (oh....and Australia!!).

I'm all for monarchy....providing it's purely constitutional. The royal families of Denmark and Great Britain are closely connected. Indeed, between them, King Christian IX of Denmark and Queen Victoria of Great Britain can count amongst their descendants virtually every crowned head of Europe.

Christian IX was known, even during his lifetime, as the "father-in-law" of Europe.

A monarchy, particularly one with a long history, can be a useful aid in giving some kind of identity and cohesion to a nation. Heaven knows, Australia could do with an 'identity'.....it would extend it's history and culture beyond the mere couple of centuries that it currently boasts ( having largely exterminated it earlier history and culture, along with the indigenous population)
Spoiler
:a80: :a80: :a80: