Visa's

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Visa's

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:If these illegal workers are the main reason that us 'law abiding visa holders' are being made to suffer, then they ALL should be unceremoniously shown the door.
You may be "law abiding" but indefinite tourist stays are completely illogical and should be stopped too.
If the (generally ) 6 months being given now is not extended (i e you have to leave and return) then your wish will be granted. It's a bit too early to tell if this how it will operate, but I would think that will be the case.

Those few who, for some reason, got a 12 month extension will, I assume, also have to leave and reapply.

It looks like the indefinite tourist stay is being consigned to history.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Its a mess and no one knows anything, Its getting to be if your face fits your ok! It may just be the case we are not wanted, but anyway whats the point in getting worked up about things just remember plan B. if you have not got one you should stay in tonight and think of one. I used to be worried but now cannot care two S---es

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

What will be, will be. If this currant visa situation is eventually going to be changed, ie, leave every six months, inconvenient, but no problem and a law that will be easily enforced, a new law that for once we can actually see working. However, working while holding this tourist visa is not as easily enforced and is being abused by many. Its the innocents that suffer, like the woman and her daughter that I was told of two weeks ago that have lived here quite a while, were told to leave and return but unfortunately the mother, in her eighties, had a fatal heart attack due to the stress. So, could/would YOU say that this is accepted collateral damage invoked upon folk that live here under the present laws, or just tough luck. We are now obviously being treated with disdain, but if this country was overflowing with tourists like in years past, I doubt very much if we, the long term residents, would of even been noticed. So a very good move, remove those that still have the foreign currency at hand to spend here.

I'm lucky, I can afford to take a 50% loss on what I actually spent on my property, and have a long standing offer if I ever want to sell, this money is available. So I could sell up quickly and go someplace else, but at the moment quite content to stay and see which way the wind blows.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

The [problem is the wind stopped blowing here a long time ago. But what is so important about Luxor to so many people is what I want to know, to some it seems like the be all and end all. That being the case there are a lot of misguided people about.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:The [problem is the wind stopped blowing here a long time ago. But what is so important about Luxor to so many people is what I want to know, to some it seems like the be all and end all. That being the case there are a lot of misguided people about.
That's a very confusing statement to the reader coming from someone who chose to live there and has even made a promo tourism video extolling the reasons why people should go there to visit.

Let me ask the same question to you. What is so important about Luxor to you that you should choose to visit as often as you say you have and then to build a villa there so that you can live there long term?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dusak wrote: Its the innocents that suffer, like the woman and her daughter that I was told of two weeks ago that have lived here quite a while, were told to leave and return but unfortunately the mother, in her eighties, had a fatal heart attack due to the stress. So, could/would YOU say that this is accepted collateral damage invoked upon folk that live here under the present laws, or just tough luck.
So do you blame the Egyptian authorities for her death?

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Major Thom wrote:The [problem is the wind stopped blowing here a long time ago. But what is so important about Luxor to so many people is what I want to know, to some it seems like the be all and end all. That being the case there are a lot of misguided people about.
Maybe the wind stopped blowing for you Major Thom. Luxor is not my be all and end all but I still enjoying living here.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

You are forgetting all the changes that have happened since I moved here. If Luxor was has it is now I would not have moved here or built here. We all keep hoping it will change but I fear thing will not change one bit, especially for us so called tourists. Those who saw the light 3 years or so ago must now be reaping the benefits.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The problem with you Luxorians is that you live in a bubble.

Cop a load of this.......the New Egypt

www.facebook.com/friendsofegyptsupporttourismtoegypt
‪#‎Egypte‬ ‪#‎Egypt‬ ‪#‎Egitto‬ ‪#‎Ägypten‬ ‪#‎Egypten‬ ‪#‎Egipat‬ ‪#‎Egipt‬ ‪#‎Egipto‬ ‪#‎EgyptLiveTheMagic‬ ‪#‎TheRedSea‬ ‪#‎Alexandria‬ ‪#‎Aswan‬ ‪#‎Dahab‬ ‪#‎Cairo‬ ‪#‎ElGouna‬ ‪#‎ElQuisir‬ ‪#‎ElQuesir‬ ‪#‎Giza‬ ‪#‎Hamata‬ ‪#‎Hurghada‬ ‪#‎Luxor‬ ‪#‎MarsaAlam‬ ‪#‎MakadiBay‬ ‪#‎Nuweiba‬ ‪#‎PortGhalib‬ ‪#‎Safaga‬ ‪#‎SharmElSheikh‬ ‪#‎SomaBay‬ ‪#‎SupportEgypt‬

I hope there's a new version on the way without the embarrassing reference to Barclays Bank :urm:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

What's embarrassing for the past 5 years is that every page meant to attract tourists is entitled some variation of "Support Egypt" rather than a straightforward "Visit Egypt." When will this charity case mentality ever end? Enough is enough.
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
That's a very confusing statement to the reader coming from someone who chose to live there and has even made a promo tourism video extolling the reasons why people should go there to visit.

Let me ask the same question to you. What is so important about Luxor to you that you should choose to visit as often as you say you have and then to build a villa there so that you can live there long term?
Major Thom wrote:You are forgetting all the changes that have happened since I moved here. If Luxor was has it is now I would not have moved here or built here. We all keep hoping it will change but I fear thing will not change one bit, especially for us so called tourists. Those who saw the light 3 years or so ago must now be reaping the benefits.
No, I don't think anyone is forgetting all the changes that have happened in recent years. Indeed, it would be very hard to do that! Your comment above does not really relate to your earlier comment, and does not answer my/your question.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:What's embarrassing for the past 5 years is that every page meant to attract tourists is entitled some variation of "Support Egypt" rather than a straightforward "Visit Egypt." When will this charity case mentality ever end?
You missed the 'Egypt is Safe' headings. ;)
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Luxor has changed since I came to live here, everywhere has changed. When I was back in the UK I was surprised by some of the changes, pleasantly sometimes and other times not so.
I don't want to live somewhere "stuck in time."
Used to be no internet on west bank, very little street lighting, no speed bumps because very little traffic. Not so many tourists living here and the majority of those who did lived here because they liked the place and the people.
Rather than later when the sex tourism began and then those that thought they could have a good standard of living for little money, buy property for less than their home countries. Been here on holiday a few times and knew it all.
Treated the people and the culture like...well many of them referred to them as "the natives." Mosques making all that damn noise.
Things have changed and if anyone doesn't like it or finds it hard to adapt GO.
I for one am sick of all the whining.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I agree Luxor has changed in the years I have lived here, boats tied up and not used anymore, the Inter-Continental Hotel Construction work near the Iberhotel has been shut down, the Rocha Forte project at the back of Sindbads has come to a full stop, Hotels are running at less than 20% occupancy, unemployment among locals has grown significantly, traffic problems have grown 2 fold, supermarkets now are only stocking cheap quality foods, to name a few things, gone are the Kellogg/Nestle brand in is Tammy's, gone are McVitie brand in is goodness know what but whatever its sugary and far too sweet, gone is personal hygiene things of quality, in are cheap things that are 2 minute wonders and the aerosols are faulty.

Up have gone Bus Stop signs that no one takes notice of, or road signs that people do not know what they are. The City roads are like dirt tracks, look at the top of TV Street, ruts that will pull a motorcyclist off in front of cars and trucks. I still do not think the West Bank has got a Traffic Division to regulate the traffic and bring offenders to justice.

So people are correct when they say Luxor has changed. Changes should be for the people of Luxor to help them into work, so they can support their families. Look at the top paragraph, how much work has been lost?

Oh God I seem to have missing my like button!!! unlike most people.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

That still does not answer the question that you have asked others and I, in turn, have asked you.

As for the availability of named brand products, I think we in the west are spoilt for choice these days, but many people will not change brands because they are stuck in the rut of 'that is what I grew up with' mentality. Tastebuds are forced by habit to assume that brand x is better than brand y.
Westerners have, on the whole, got lazy in their shopping, cooking, eating habits, prefering prepared processed foods over fresh natural ones.
Not so long ago part of going to live abroad was all about learning what, often very limited, seasonal foods were available to you, and how to creatively cook and store them.
-Aldous Huxley

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Major Thom wrote:I agree Luxor has changed in the years I have lived here, boats tied up and not used anymore, the Inter-Continental Hotel Construction work near the Iberhotel has been shut down, the Rocha Forte project at the back of Sindbads has come to a full stop, Hotels are running at less than 20% occupancy, unemployment among locals has grown significantly, traffic problems have grown 2 fold, supermarkets now are only stocking cheap quality foods, to name a few things, gone are the Kellogg/Nestle brand in is Tammy's, gone are McVitie brand in is goodness know what but whatever its sugary and far too sweet, gone is personal hygiene things of quality, in are cheap things that are 2 minute wonders and the aerosols are faulty.

Up have gone Bus Stop signs that no one takes notice of, or road signs that people do not know what they are. The City roads are like dirt tracks, look at the top of TV Street, ruts that will pull a motorcyclist off in front of cars and trucks. I still do not think the West Bank has got a Traffic Division to regulate the traffic and bring offenders to justice.

So people are correct when they say Luxor has changed. Changes should be for the people of Luxor to help them into work, so they can support their families. Look at the top paragraph, how much work has been lost?

Oh God I seem to have missing my like button!!! unlike most people.
Major Thom - I think you just made the wrong decision in coming here and building and now seem to be blaming it on the tourist situation etc. I don't understand what difference it makes to you that the hotels are at 20% occupancy or the hotels that have changed their development plans.I have relatives who are directly affected by this but it wouldn't play a part in me deciding to leave. I can't believe that you even mention the lack of Kelloggs and McVities. The very first time I lived in Luxor those items were unheard of. No supermarkets, no cheddar cheese or imported luxuries, dial up internet no branded cleaning products. For me that was one of the good aspects of living here, I didn't come here for that. To me you sound like somebody who has handed in their notice at work because it is just their time to move on. Then during their notice period they do nothing but run down the company they are leaving and driving everybody up the wall in the process. By the time that person leaves everybody is relieved that they can get on with their jobs and not listen to the moaning anymore.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

HEPZIBAH wrote:That still does not answer the question that you have asked others and I, in turn, have asked you.

As for the availability of named brand products, I think we in the west are spoilt for choice these days, but many people will not change brands because they are stuck in the rut of 'that is what I grew up with' mentality. Tastebuds are forced by habit to assume that brand x is better than brand y.
Westerners have, on the whole, got lazy in their shopping, cooking, eating habits, prefering prepared processed foods over fresh natural ones.
Not so long ago part of going to live abroad was all about learning what, often very limited, seasonal foods were available to you, and how to creatively cook and store them.
I totally agree with this. When I first lived out here at the age of 23 this was a huge and fun learning curve for me, ie learning to cook everything from scratch and with whatever was in season. I found myself very grateful when I was able to obtain something familiar from home, but I could live without it.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I have just returned from the local market, took my fruit and veg Out of bags and thrown most of it away or bagged it up for the chickens. I only had to walk for 20 mins how come it did not last the journey, wobbly cucumbers wilted coriander, tomato's almost pulp. Waste of time waste of money. I don't have a problem with foreign food if it's good quality! I don't mind paying for quality either, but 6 years ago quality goods were available for people willing to pay, now they are not.
People can change or alter my words for their own advantage, that's up to them, but to say Luxor has not changed is a load of utter g------e, sorry but you seem to be in denial.
Places throughout the world either improve or hold steady depending on the financial position, what they don't do is step backward.
My friends know where I stand and how I feel my future should be, it's a pity I don't have more friends, isn't it? Or is it?
I keep on saying that if I had know what the place was going to turn out like I would never have bought property how many times do I have to repeat myself. I also make no secret that until I realised it would do no good I was prepared to do my bit to promote tourism. If I was to be asked now the same question I was asked 6 years ago, "Would I like to live in Luxor" my answer may be different. But no one knew 6 years ago how much a vibrant city would fall. I honestly believe that when people say this that and the other they are in denial, the truth is more likely they cannot afford to live elsewhere.
Let's look at places you may frequent, would you honestly recommend them if they were in the UK, of course not, some of the places I have been recommended, I would not recommend to my worse enemy, sat around eating food among the stink of cats pi.., sat on cushions that are invested. Just think if you were back home would you recommend these places. Those you recommend to will think you are mad. Look at the quality of clothes for sale, now that is really what you call throw away fashion, and if you want good clothes you have to get on a plane for an hours flight or get them posted to yo and pay a fortune in tax.

Again 6 years ago there was money to make improvement to these places, now there is none, and again I am saying that LUXOR HAS changed since I moved here. Stop kidding yourselves, I have no problems if people want to live the way they do, but please do not dictate to others if they want to live differently if given the choice. If you were still in the UK would you be OK with dirt floors, would you be ok with curtains separating bedrooms, would you be happy with s---pans in the floor instead of flush toilets? OK I appreciate that these things still exist in even new build homes, but that is not just cultural it's a lot to do people have no money to improve their lives. A new villa has been built near me, when I inquired why no flush toilets the reply - no money, when I inquired what type of floor covering they were putting down they replied none- no money. It's because there is none of this so called money about that sales, manufacturing etc have declined.
Last edited by Major Thom on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If you are loosing your eyesight as well as your memory I could understand the above, but to buy ''not fit for human consumption'' fruit and vegetables them complain about the quality twenty minutes later :ni: You should ignore the main supermarkets, yesterday I bought my Macvities [25% free] plain or milk and dark chocolate and English breakfast cereal from a small local shop here in Karnak :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

But D why put things not suitable for human consumption for sale in the first place. When I purchased them they seemed ok, the tomato's felt firm, the cucumbers also, the coriander was fresh, why should they deteriorate in such a short time, if the quality was good. I have no problem people living in Karnak or Gezera and Ramla on the West Bank, but we have never lived in noisy places or places full of traffic, we like remote or peaceful places, with no hassle. If we go out its good to get away from your abode instead of moving in next door. I could never see us living in built up areas.
We go to the City once a week to shop and our taxi takes us around the shops we need to go to, I don't want to spend time trudging around Luxor looking for shops that suit my purpose, when the ones I use were the ones that provided me with everything I needed.
But I suppose that how the place has changed. I can only talk from my own point of view, because to everyone else the place is hunky dory. Let's see how deflation and the coming 10% vat makes them feel when prices start soaring.