Xmas Dinner...

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Xmas Dinner...

Post by Who2 »

Here's a nice article from my local butcher Richard in today's Independent.... :cool:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 60626.html

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Xmas Dinner...

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting read - good points, hints & tips :eat
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Mine is cooked with military precision with a time check list next to the oven. There is also a diagram of the oven with big red arrows drawn over it so Omar can see what goes where if I get delayed in the kennels :lol: thankfully, with 4 Rottweilers no family feel the need to come visit and eat so it doesn't matter if we balls it up
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We had a Rottweiler in our pub called Fred he weighed over 13 stone, and once attacked a way-wood sneak thief who suffered severe shock,
not from the bite but the size of Fred on his hind legs, great dog was Fred.. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

How does Omar go on eating in the UK Robbo, I remember inviting an Egyptian to Christmas dinner once and he remarked much much later that he would have enjoyed it more if it had all been served on different plates
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:How does Omar go on eating in the UK Robbo, I remember inviting an Egyptian to Christmas dinner once and he remarked much much later that he would have enjoyed it more if it had all been served on different plates
You mean so that the sausages and bacon were not mixed in with the bird?

I always provide a separate plate for each diner, and serve each stuffing, vegetable and sauce separately, but normally leave the carved bird and other meats on a large dish.

Actually, now that the family have left home I don't do Xmas dinner any more. Even the smallest turkey last several days when there are only two pensioners to feed.

The last Xmas I was at home was 2010 - I am now out of practice at cooking the feast.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Omar just eats what ever is available in the fridge. His only stipulation is no pig, but he doesn't care that there is bacon in the fridge, or that when we cheat after a busy day and shove 2 pizzas in the oven, one being pepperoni. He is not precious in any way shape or form when it comes to food.

As for serving xmas day dinner. we will cook it between us, shove it all one a plate each and eat. the remainder will be shoved in 4 stainless steel bowls and the dogs will get theirs. Me and the rotties will enjoy the pigs in blankets.

On boxing day, my mother is coming for lunch. The beef will be sliced and on the plate, the potatoes, and various veg will be in serving dishes. The mustard will be made from powder and milk in an egg cup each. See I can be civilised if I have to be :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Does anyone have special things to serve Christmas dinner, I had a bone china dinner set with the tureens etc. silver cruet sets with cut glass salt and pepper pots, cutlery that emerged from the velvet lined box. Loads of different things that came out twice a year, Christmas dinner and New year, then put away and never used again till the next year.
Must admit the Christmas table looked lovely but what a waste of money, when I left my son couldn't wait to get rid of the lot.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My Mum always said here's no point in having "nice things" if one doesn't use them, so she did. Not every day, but for anything out of the ordinary. Every birthday, anniversary, graduation, funeral, house guests or special visitors, holiday events etc. Crockery, cutlery, vases, candle sticks, cookware like casserole dishes and platters, table linen, glasses etc. Some got broken, damaged or lost, but that didn't matter, they also were appreciated and above all enjoyed. If you were the person who gave her an item, you knew she would get the most out of it, which was very satisfying. I have always agreed and am the same with my bits and bobs.

Pride of place, especially at Christmas, because it was her job as a child to fill it, is her grandmother's cut glass and silver cruet set. Then it became my job. I will pass it on to my niece.
Carpe diem! :le:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have all of the silver cutlery that my parents had. It only came out when we had guests but that somehow made it all the more special to me when I was growing up. I rarely use any of it these days but I still love it nonetheless!

One of my strongest memories of childhood Christmas Lunch is that of my grandfather, standing at the head of the table, sharpening the carving knife on the large steel that was normally kept for sharpening the knives in his corner shop. I have, and still use, the steel and although I also have the carving knife - as well as his ham knife - I tend not to get much use out of the knives these days as I so rarely have a joint of meat to carve.

I do also have the large meat platters - one from each pair of grandparents - and, although I don't need to use them for Turkey and other roasts, they come in very useful when doing buffet type meals for entertaining in or joining in a sharing meal at friends.

I'm looking at a 'home alone' Christmas this year. Maybe I should get out some of the cutlery, some of my finer glasses, crockery etc and indulge myself in a bit of personal nostalgia (as opposed to the rubbish nostalgia we will no doubt be served up on the TV).
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Absolutely! Do it in style! :eat :wi
Carpe diem! :le:
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

carrie wrote:Does anyone have special things to serve Christmas dinner, I had a bone china dinner set with the tureens etc. silver cruet sets with cut glass salt and pepper pots, cutlery that emerged from the velvet lined box. Loads of different things that came out twice a year, Christmas dinner and New year, then put away and never used again till the next year.
Nope!
I have nothing special.Don't have a separate dining room,so every year old gate leg table is dragged into living room and set up with an assortment of chairs(even plastic patio garden ones have been used sometimes.)
Anything special I ever had got broken long ago,e.g crystal glasses,bone china dinner sets,etc.
So..I just use everyday crockery and cutlery,mainly bought from charity shops...cos I don't see the point of having "good cutlery and crockery."

Don't think I've got any two pieces of crockery left that match!So,my table is always pretty eclectic looking!
Must admit that's just what I like and it suits me fine.

Lends a kind of individuality to the whole festive meal..and never had any complaints.
I always reckon it's the food,the family and the sentiment that matters most..not the table setting.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

By design I have no matching coffee mugs - all pottery and each unique and different. I enjoy drinking my morning brew of the hard stuff out of a different mug each morning.

I do have a couple of sets of dinner plates so I can set a table with matching plates but I seldom entertain more than 8 people at any given time. I've amassed wine glasses and water goblets over the years but I use ALL my dishes all the time so don't really have any special dishes that just come out on special occasions. If I have it I'll definitely use it :) (Unlike my mom who had specific fine china dishes that were ONLY brought out on rare occasions)

My rule for having a glass/mug/dish/plate is that it HAS be able to be cleaned IN my dishwasher :) IF you're so delicate I have to hand wash then you don't deserve to live in my cupboards ;) And this RULE is definitely FIRM :up