ROAD TO NOWHERE.......................

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: ROAD TO NOWHERE.......................

Post by Mad Dilys »

Fair enough A4. :up

But when was it, 60s, 70s, 80s I've got a bet on this. ;)

Smile! It confuses people
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Probably his first visit when he was a lad.... about 1925 :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Robbo70 wrote:Probably his first visit when he was a lad.... about 1925 :lol:

Actually Robbo it was when I was about 5 years old, in around 1960. I remember the floor in the basement of the Old Winter Palace, near where the safe deposit place was then. I was there with my parents, who's only reason for being in Luxor was to try and persuade my grandfather to return home to England, who as I think have said before, lived in a mud hut on the WB. The family was very wealthy in them days, and every one thought my grandfather was excentric, but truly he was just wack-wack.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Mad Dilys wrote:Fair enough A4. :up

But when was it, 60s, 70s, 80s I've got a bet on this. ;)
I've been looking through my grandfather notes here MD, now you got to remember that he was nuts, but it's seems there was confusion in the 1960's with the Egyptian governments idea of a Cornische and a 'super' landing stage for tourists, which seems a little strange, as to what was expected, but then again, what was achieved.

When we look at what the government have in mind today is not too dissimilar, where at the point of the Luxor Museum is now, that is perhaps the only area future tourists will probably see of any part of the present day Cornische . I fear that the rest may become some what, rather neglected.

His notes suggest that there were plans for this, plans for that, which in most cases did not see fruition, so nothing has changed really. There are so few of the old boys left now in Egypt, the last one I knew was 'El Biss' on WB, alas he's no more. He was a labourer on the Abou Simbul project all those years ago, the stories he told me were truly remarkable.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks A4 looks like I lost!

The first time I drove onto the car ferry, was actually the first time I drove DH's car - the ubiquitous Peugeot 505 - no rails round the boat, just guess where the deck ended and getting off there was a muddy slope and a 5 bar gate to race up and through .......I was too scared to lose and won by a length ;) Made my reputation I think, as there were very few women drivers in Luxor then.
Smile! It confuses people
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Don't know about neglect, but this is now month five of a refurbishment of all the walkway surface tiles, metal safety pedestrian fencing, new seating areas, lighting and painting. Not exactly a quick fix tart up.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Might be taking time but it is starting to look very nice and the new steps on the ferry are certainly an improvement and seem to me more substantial than previous attempts.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Carrie, VERY glad to hear the steps at the ferry are better. Have always been afraid of falling as they were so uneven.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Might be taking time but it is starting to look very nice and the new steps on the ferry are certainly an improvement and seem to me more substantial than previous attempts.
Not sure here Carrie, but if you are referring to the 'new' steps on the East Bank to the ferry, well, I was the first to inform this forum on Tuesday 10th September 2013 at 3-13p.m. of their installation, are you saying that these have been replaced again, or is this re-cycled old news.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Old news A4 they have been replaced with some very substantial metal steps and ramps, very ingenious because they can be made to rise and fall with the level of the river.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Old news A4 they have been replaced with some very substantial metal steps and ramps, very ingenious because they can be made to rise and fall with the level of the river.
Remember Carrie to make a note of the precise time and date of this post so that, on some future thread on this incredibly interesting topic, you can claim to have been the first to inform members.
:ok:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote:
carrie wrote:Might be taking time but it is starting to look very nice and the new steps on the ferry are certainly an improvement and seem to me more substantial than previous attempts.
Not sure here Carrie, but if you are referring to the 'new' steps on the East Bank to the ferry, well, I was the first to inform this forum on Tuesday 10th September 2013 at 3-13p.m. of their installation, are you saying that these have been replaced again, or is this re-cycled old news.
... and this coming from L4U own recycling plant. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.