Egypt Remains A Dream Destination For Foreigners. Here’s Why

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Egypt Remains A Dream Destination For Foreigners. Here’s Why

Post by Winged Isis »

Egypt Remains A Dream Destination For Foreigners. Here’s Why.

Documentary by Ahmed Yacoub, article by Emir Nader

Why are foreigners dreaming of a vacation in Egypt while we Egyptians are dying for a visa to emigrate somewhere else? Despite all of the problems and the reputation of the country, they are attracted here – why?

We Egyptians forever complain about the endless, chronic problems that surround us. Some of us think that living in Egypt is like serving a prison sentence. Is there something that we cannot see about the country?

Filmed over the course of about eight days ‘Documenting Cairo’s First Impressions’ captures the spontaneous feelings and reflections of foreigners in Cairo. The interviews took place in streets, cafes, public transportation, and in the early hours of the morning after parties had finished – the point is to try and see Egypt from another angle. Asked on the spot about their feelings, the interviewees had no chance to prepare what they were going to say; the answers were deep and honest.

The most common attraction among foreigners? The people. The Egyptians. The people of the country are the most attractive thing in it. The Egyptian personality is very open, lively, interactive, proactive, and communicative. This is something you learn after your first ride on a rush-hour Metro.

Some of the interviewees were from Western countries where life is seen as direct, strict, and plain. Many foreigners are attracted to Egypt because there is always a new, unfamiliar thing to see or do. The Italian student at a restaurant in a small alley said she found focus and harmony in the chaos of the city. Maybe it’s because she was used to a controlled and organized environment; she was eager for change.

It turns out Egypt is a nice place to live. We can work towards making it better; we just need to look at it from another angle.

Jason Stoneking, the American artist who reads out some of his thoughts through the video, talks about the anarchic roads in one scene. Egypt’s overwhelming traffic is usually called a chronic problem, but Jason sees its creative chaos and praises how drivers are constantly aware of every small detail around their vehicle as they navigate the city.

Jason and his artist girlfriend Leslie came here earlier this year for an art residence program. They started a project of painting the greyish-brown satellite dishes that sprout across the capital’s rooftops. He said that one day he went up on a rooftop and realized the city needed some paintwork – he meant that Egypt needs a few colorful touches and then everything will be just good.

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/07/30/e ... heres-why/

Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt Remains A Dream Destination For Foreigners. Here’s

Post by newcastle »

As the article says - "...the point is to try and see Egypt from another angle."

Presumably that of a comfortably-off foreigner, here for a couple of weeks, cosseted in a 5 star resort.

Oh puhleeese...

And that Jason guy - "... Egypt needs a few colorful touches and then everything will be just good".

He sees beauty in the chaos and "....praises how drivers are constantly aware....".

I wonder if it's just shisha he's been smoking :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I once was feeling lazy on a painting job so decided to save time I would paint over the cracks instead of permanently repairing them thinking that if the paint was thick enough they would disappear. I was wrong, they were still visible when the paint dried.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Did they explore beyond Cairo?
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

"he meant that Egypt needs a few colorful touches and everything would be good"

I think the Americans call it putting lipstick on a pig. :urm:
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

How many Egyptians want to emigrate?
And...for what reasons?

Is it for a better life?More opportunities?Do they really think the "grass is always greener"somewhere else?

Why does it remain a "dream destination"for foreigners?

Possibly because it is a different culture and experience to what we're used to!And for the two week tourist,we have "money"to spend!That's because we have "saved"and "sacrificed"to get there in the first place.

But these "chancers"working in tourism?How many of them really want to emigrate?
Don't they realise that if they are uneducated and in low paid employment in Egypt...then they'll face the same obstacles if they move to another country?They'll still be uneducated and working in a low paid job..if they have no qualifications.

Majority of waiters,taxi-drivers,felluca men,etc,don't want to emigrate!They just want a "foreign"wife to fund a lazy lifestyle for them(and their wives and families)and would "jump"at the chance to ensnare one!

Would you really want to give up a life in the sunshine,lazy nights in coffee shops,the opportunity to meet other people(women especially!)and the culture you know and are familiar with?..when all the while you have the security of knowing that someone else (in most cases,a stupid,lovesick,woman)is continuing to fund it!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Many waiters etc. have university education, they are working as waiters because they can't find other work. My neighbor is a qualified lawyer but can't afford to set up his own office therefore he works in a shop.
ST you really should do a little homework before you start in with the generalizations.
Many Egyptians would like the opportunity to work abroad and many do, in the gulf states especially, they earn good money and return here to make their life better. The majority don't want to live abroad indefinitely they do want to return to their homeland eventually. I honestly think you have been mixing with the wrong kind of people on your visits here.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

P.s...
The NHS is a wonderful organization to work for!

They have a policy of "no"discrimination!

In clinics I now work in,there is a nightime security man..An immigrant,living here with his wife and children.His name is Ahmed..he earns £900 per month.He can't believe his good luck!

Even the "cleaners"are immigrants!They have no objection to mopping down a toilet,shoving bit of bleach down the "lavvy"pan,and mopping,wiping a canteen floor,cleaning tables etc!

They earn £700 per month for doing this!

Send half of it back to their families!Cos,this is BIG money for them!
Such a pity that my "beau"in Luxor didn't realize this!
He coulda had nice life here in Scotland..if only he had paid me any attention!

Well,he didn't,still went to coffee shops,thought I would fund this lifestyle from Alba!

More fool him!
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

carrie wrote:The majority don't want to live abroad indefinitely they do want to return to their homeland eventually. I honestly think you have been mixing with the wrong kind of people on your visits here.
That's whole point Carrie!
They don't want to emigrate indefinitely!They want to make money..then return to their own homeland and culture(possibly ignoring the non Egyptian wife who funded it!)

They have had the opportunities,they have had the teaching..they have had the "chance!"

So..ain't they being a tad hypocritical in returning to their "own"country...when they have stated that they want to "emigrate?"
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The point is ST that they are NOT emigrating they are going to work abroad.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well the dream destination for 80,000 ex-pats/migrants seems to be just across from Calais, and can you blame them I don't and if they can manage to get all the way to that 'sh**hole called Calais don't they deserve to come to Blighty and end up on X-Factor ?.... :cool:
Ps: I blame Maggie for that bleeding tunnel..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote:Well the dream destination for 80,000 ex-pats/migrants seems to be just across from Calais, and can you blame them I don't and if they can manage to get all the way to that 'sh**hole called Calais don't they deserve to come to Blighty and end up on X-Factor ?.... :cool:
Ps: I blame Maggie for that bleeding tunnel..
Now your back home here in wonderland Who2, you could house a few in your now empty gaff over in Blighty. :up As for the tunnel, they should install automatic doors that only open in a train approaches then slams shut once it has entered/exited, see just how fast the little blighters that fancy Blighty can really run. :D Froggy legs for supper anyone :eat
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.