Egypt to curb population......at last!?

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Egypt to curb population......at last!?

Post by jewel »

Great news ! ... Egypt aims to reduce its surging fertility rate over the next 15 years, a government minister has said, in an effort to address overpopulation concerns in the Arab world's most populous country. With about 90 million people - a population the United Nations projects to hit 103 million by 2030 - Egypt has struggled for decades to provide its citizens with jobs and services. Most Egyptians live on a sliver of land along the Nile River and the Mediterranean coast, away from the vast desert that makes up most of the country. According to a plan laid out by Minister of State for Population Hala Youssef, the government will provide financial incentives to keep children in school, expand family planning services and boost public awareness - while working closely with non-governmental organisations and local communities.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/e ... 00274.html

I love Egypt but when anyone asks me to describe it...especially Cairo I have to say CROWDED!!! So this is good news IF it comes to be.....

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Re: Egypt to curb population......at last!?

Post by Bearded Brian »

It'll probably be too little too late and with most of the money going into someone's back pocket.
But I do hope they get it right as soon as possible.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Good news? Ha!!

Good luck :up

They've been banging on (sort of) about this for years. Can't see it's had much effect.

Mentality....mentality.....mentality....
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

What is Islamic instruction with regards to birth control and abortion?

In days past Catholics did not practice birth control.The only approved method was the natural way.Abstinence.

That's main reason Catholics tended to have big families.The belief was that "God would not create a mouth he couldn't provide for."

In later times though,most Catholics resorted to artificial methods of birth control.Condoms,IUD's,contraceptive Pill,etc.
They planned their families.

I have good friends in Luxor and associate with their families.
One couple have two sons...even though times are difficult for them..they will try for a girl,with little regard to their financial situation.
The other couple have two girls and are in same situation financially.But..they will try again for a boy.

Is birth control easy to obtain in Egypt?Is it costly?I've seen condoms for sale in a great many shops...but just how expensive are they?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

In my limited experience, I hear that the pill and condoms are not popular, but the coil is.

Abortion? No idea.
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

In my limited experience, I hear that the pill and condoms are not popular, but the coil is.

Abortion? No idea.

Size of family? Unfortunately we are back to tradition again. It sure has a lot to answer for. :(
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I've recently moved to a new job.
I've left the wards and bedpans behind and have moved into the world of "sexual"health.

As much as I miss the hospital and the patients..I have decided that I need a new challenge for my pre-retirement years..and have moved into the world of community clinics,hopefully educating young people on family planning,STD's and "safe"sex.

I love it.
Condoms are so cheap here..they're available free of charge.We dish them out to young people,gays,etc,and are never judgemental.Our aim is to educate them,both women and men.
We tell the women to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.
We tell the men the same.

An IUD is a very good method of birth control.But,it is not a "barrier"method.It's invasive...and is often inserted as a "morning after"remedy to prevent implantation.

Condoms,condoms,condoms!Come on Egypt.Why ain't you using these and protecting yourselves from unwanted pregnancies?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Mapsams are cheap enough and can be reused many times.... :lol:

For those who do not know what a Mapsam is, its the equivalent of the English "Jubilee Clip" just make sure you use a Phillips Screwdriver that will not slip. :lol: :lol:

It seems like Egypt is no different from any other Country where women have the responsibility of birth control, come on you men you too have a right to be involved.
Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett »

Shortly after the revolution one Egyptian man told me they were not having any more children for a while, and his wife had had 'the injection'.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Maybe the Flu Jab Miss "S" its used for many things here! :lol: :lol:
Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett »

I know they love their injections out there! However I presumed it was the contraceptive injection.

A couple of years ago while staying at the Etap/Etabe, there was a tourist with the most awful cough. She decided to go to the local hospital regarding it. (Braver than me). Well, she was full of praise, she was telling everyone around the pool, that the NHS couldn't cure here, but here she had had four injections, and the cough had gone. I have to say, there was no coughing, but then after about four days it returned with a vengeance. Heaven knows what they gave her.

It seems though if any of the children are ill, they are rushed to the hospital and given an injection. This seems to pacify the parents at least.

The Egyptains I have come across, which is mainly men bring a tourist, seem a bunch of hypochondriacs. Remember once in a caleche going through a bit of dust recently kicked up. The caleche driver said he would have to stop at the pharmacy for pill, as he now had a headache. He went and purchased one tablet, back on the caleche to our destination, and within two minutes he said he was better, due to the tablet. Miraculous!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As stated by MD, condoms are not popular but contraception advice & devices are available, more or less free.

The issue is definitely one for the woman.

However, the main obstacle is that Egyptians simply LOVE huge families - irrespective of their ability, and the ability of the country, to support them - and educating them out out this mentality will be a slow process.

The men also view the number of their offspring as a sign of their virility - an important factor in a macho society.

Of course the rush to procreate is beyond STUPID....but a common enough feature of developing countries. Human nature in this area is notoriously hard to change by persuasion , which may be why the Chinese went for the "forced" option.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Funny the coil should be mentioned, my friend has just returned from visiting her married sister in Aswan that nearly bled to death two weeks ago having had what they call the 'T' clip inserted which is presumably the same as the coil by the full description she gave. But it was positioned incorrectly so resulting in heavy blood loss. The pill, so I am told, is widely used as are the injections, one each month but tend to be out of the reach of many due to the cost. The male condom is popular, especially during the month of Ramadan as the kids buy the out of date stocks to blow up for this festive months decorations. :d1: :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think because the patients can go from doctor to doctor collecting prescriptions for medication - especially tablets it can lead to quite a lot of self medication and harm

If the medication is given as an injection, usually painful the patient is more reticent about shopping around.

Not only that but a lot of patients are illiterate and or may forget doses etc and also give them to friends and family in error.

I realised this when I was told that some Milk of Magnesia given to a chap with indigestion by a tourist was passed on through the family and finally recommended to me as "just wonderful for a bad cough! "
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You have to laugh at the way they think and self medicate. I know a family, a lovely family, 3 sons all working but yet will not allow their sick mother to see a doctor because of finances. Yet its ok for them all to smoke and drink.

I am sure you are right MD, self medication can lead to bodily harm. Me and my wife use the same Doctor all the time and have built up a good relationship with him, he is very meticulous and thorough.