From Luxor Times - european found dead

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

From Luxor Times - european found dead

Post by Bearded Brian »

Important notice:
A dead body of a male foreigner was found today on the east bank under the bridge on the airport road.

Any help needed to identify the body. Around 50 years old man, silver hair, thick eye browses, no facial hair. Wearing blue jeans and brown check shirt.

If you know anyone who lives in Luxor and is missing,please go to the Tourism Police by the train station.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Re: From Luxor Times - european found dead

Post by Bearded Brian »

Sorry I've assumed he was European but of course from the details supplied all we know is that he isn't Egyptian.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Sorry to disappoint you but it was not I, and I saw no major holdups near the bridge either Tuesday or today.

Brian :br
Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

I saw this too but after translating the article was shocked to read that the man was found in a garbage bag and had been shot in the chest!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I saw that article too earlier today but my translation was worse than normal. Been wondering if it was the same case though since I saw the post here earlier. Let's hope that he is identified quickly.

:(
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

He has been identified his name is Nicolas Hughes he was found shot and in a bin bag.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Are you sure of that name? The initial post said he was fully dressed and described his clothes, and the post naming him said he was wearing only boxer shorts. Sorry, but the latter sounds like a rumor a few steps removed from its source when he starts to lose his clothes so why should we trust the name is accurate either?
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Well it came from the source along with the photo supplied by the police some of us do have contact with the authorities when in business.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yeah, from what I have read about this case you keep dossiers with photos of your regular diners. Which seems a bit beyond what a restauranteurs' business should be.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yeah, you were shopping the photo around. Pretty creepy if you ask me. You could always have refused to get involved you know.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Yeah, you were shopping the photo around. Pretty creepy if you ask me. You could always have refused to get involved you know.
Whats your problem someone involved in something you are not, the photo was sent by PM to 2 persons who were concerned it may be someone they knew. It's called a community and the police supplied the photo and asked for assistance.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Of course, you could tell the police you know or don't know the man and be helpful that way. But how do you know whether the people who you sent the photo to were actually only interested in it because they thought they knew the person? How could you be sure it wouldn't get posted publicly or wind up in the newspapers? If anyone was really concerned about their friends, first they could try calling their friends and if they couldn't reach them. go to the tourist police as was originally suggested. Not to mention advertising your involvement in all this could put you at risk personally too.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Yeah I remember helping the police in San Francisco first thing the police officer said after arresting the offender was "you're obviously from outta town" must be an American thing not to get "involved" even though I believe its an offence in the US not to assist a police officer.
One person was in Greece the other like me are in Hurghada so popping to the Tourist police station in Luxor was not an option, it may come as a surprise to you but other people do have common sense and a sense of moral duty to help others in distress I only hope if something happened to me people would take 15 minutes out of the lives to assist whoever needed it.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I'm sure Bombay that the man's friends and family are grateful for your help.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Uhm!!! the description in the first post caused people to think, but alas I am still here!!!
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I'm sure any friends he has in Luxor are busy distancing themselves from him now after the latest news about the crime.

The fact of the matter is once you start sending a photo around you don't know where it will wind up. I assume you are a trustworthy person but if you are sending it to total strangers who is to say one of them won't sell it to the Daily Mail or post it on their wall on FB or in one of the notorious Luxor groups or forward it to someone who might? Would you want to be the cause of something like that? I don't see any problem with someone approaching the police who thinks they may know him to be shown the photo to know whether it is him or not, but you don't NEED to be circulating an electronic photo of a murder victim to anyone who asks for it. The same information can be obtained while keeping access to the image restricted.

As for the US, a paramedic posted a photo of a murder victim on FB and lost his job, was convicted of a misdemeanor, and was sued by the victim's family.

Although I wasn't thinking of the US, more of Egypt. I know an Egyptian woman who happened to have to get involved in a very similar murder case many years ago. It was much more of an important case to solve too as there was a chance it was politically motivated because of the timing and could have had grave international consequences, although it turned out not to be political. Anyhow, this woman was an employee of an organization that the victim was associated with and the police asked her to translate his diary to help them with the investigation. She read 2 pages of it, saw what it was about, and threw it back at them and told them, you get your own translator, I'm having nothing to do with this!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

An arrest has been made according to Ahram online :

Alleged killer of Luxor expat arrested

An English expat who had been living in Luxor for 12 years was found dead with a bulletshot wound on Wednesday
Ahram Online , Thursday 16 Apr 2015

A 22 year old man was arrested for killing an English expat living in Upper Egypt's Luxor, security sources said. The alleged killer was arrested hours after Egyptian authorities found the body of a foreigner in a garbage bag, late Wednesday.

The corpse of the middle-aged man found with a gunshot wound in his chest turned out to be of 60 year old Nicolas James, who had been living in Egypt for the past 12 years, the sources added to Ahram Arabic news web site.

The alleged murderer is currently being questioned, however the police investigation, according to security sources, proved that the reason behind the murder was a personal dispute.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

That's the sanitized version I guess.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Personally, I would rather see a sanitized version giving news, rather other versions giving gory details and not necessarily based on fact - until real facts are known and then published. That goes for most news stories as far as I'm concerned.

Given the information that has so far been given on this case in some places, it would appear an incredible amount of speculation and hearsay was being reported as news before anyone had time to establish facts.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, I think the source of the information posted elsewhere is actually the police and was in all the Arabic newspapers. And is actually quite believable. In fact, the moment I heard it was a foreign male I suspected it was something almost exactly like what has been reported, because there have been other cases like this before and they tend to fit a pattern.