Plane Crash

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Luxor Pharoahs

Plane Crash

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

Sky News is reporting a plane crash, the plane owned by German Wings was flying from Barcelona to Dussledorf and went down in a remote area of the French Alps. There were over 140 people on board plus Air Crew.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Plane Crash

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I was supposed to be there last week with one of my colleagues, but the air fares went too high for our company to pay for us to go..
We go next week instead.. .Same Airline.. Oh Joy !! :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Probably the best time to fly with them BM, as they will be double sure to test their planes to make sure it doesn't happen again
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Robbo70 wrote:Probably the best time to fly with them BM, as they will be double sure to test their planes to make sure it doesn't happen again
It's always comforting to think that two disasters rarely hit the same airline in quick succession.

Or so I thought before Malaysia Airlines........... :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apparently the pilot had left the cabin and couldn't get access on his return. The first "Black Box" has sounds but not technical data about the aircraft itself.

There are sounds of gentle knocking on the cabin door becoming strong and finally sounding like someone was trying to smash down the door.

If so, and I didn't think it was possible, my feelings for the anguish of the pilot and passengers in the 8 minutes of descent has increased.

God bless the victims and their grief stricken families and friends.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

newcastle wrote:
Robbo70 wrote:Probably the best time to fly with them BM, as they will be double sure to test their planes to make sure it doesn't happen again
It's always comforting to think that two disasters rarely hit the same airline in quick succession.

Defection, that is all you need to know about that. Of course a second plane of the same model was going to be in the news again..

Don't be too quick to throw out the words "conspiracy theory" :|

Anyhow, I am flying with German Wings, hopefully, OVER the Alps to Kalgenfurt next Tuesday... Back in time for the bank Holiday's :cool:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bullet Magnet wrote:
newcastle wrote:

Defection, that is all you need to know about that. Of course a second plane of the same model was going to be in the news again..

Don't be too quick to throw out the words "conspiracy theory" :|

Anyhow, I am flying with German Wings, hopefully, OVER the Alps to Kalgenfurt next Tuesday... Back in time for the bank Holiday's :cool:
Some reports now emerging that the pilot deliberately crashed the plane. Happy flying :o
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bullet Magnet wrote:I was supposed to be there last week with one of my colleagues, but the air fares went too high for our company to pay for us to go..
We go next week instead.. .Same Airline.. Oh Joy !! :cg
That's the problem with rules, there's always an exception tagged on to the odd one. Make sure you have your lap top logged on to L4U just in case you see God on your way down, landing wise that is. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thanks people, my confidence is brimming.. :urm:

Now looking to fly to Ljublijana, Hire a car and DRIVE over the Alp's to Kalgenfurt.... :tk
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Until lunchtime I was hoping that this had all been some awful accident. I read the report in the wee small hours about there being one of the flight crew trying to get back into the cockpit. I kept telling myself that perhaps the remaining pilot in the cockpit had a heart attack or something totally debilitating to cause this. Now, following the press conference that does not look likely to be the cause.

I can't help but think of those grieving families. Bad enough to have lost your loved ones in an accident, but knowing that it was probably a deliberate act by one person - one of the very people you put all your trust in when flying - must just add to their grief and anger, and bewilderment.

I do know someone who regularly flies on that route. I am so sad for all those affected by this tragedy, but equally relieved that she wasn't involved.

Wherever any blame lies, praise and admiration has to be given to all those who will be working in the most awful and difficult of circumstances to retrieve the bodies and belongings from the site. Such people, no matter the circumstances, be land or sea or air, are unsung heroes.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

According to the latest news the co pilot deliberately crashed the plane. I suppose that it will never be discovered why he chose to do this.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Dusak wrote:According to the latest news the co pilot deliberately crashed the plane. I suppose that it will never be discovered why he chose to do this.
The latest editions are claiming the investigators found evidence of a very recent relationship break up, and evidence of psychiatric councelling, leading to Germanwings admitting he shouldn't have been flying at all. He had somehow slipped through the net of checks.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Airlines are now adopting the 2 flight crew at all time policy in the event a pilot needs to leave the flight deck another crew member will step in to the flight deck until their return. This is now policy on UK airlines from today and may be formal requirement by the CAA later.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Bombay wrote:Airlines are now adopting the 2 flight crew at all time policy in the event a pilot needs to leave the flight deck another crew member will step in to the flight deck until their return. This is now policy on UK airlines from today and may be formal requirement by the CAA later.
I've been on flights where I've observed that when a member of pilot crew has left the cockpit the purser/snr cabin crew person or other member of cabin crew has gone into the cabin for the duration. This always made sense to me and couldn't understand why it didn't happen on other flights. Let's hope that from this tragedy that such a requirement does become a mandatory requirement.
-Aldous Huxley
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Sadly, some of the trashier papers are claiming the pilot was a muslim convert. I really do hope this is rubbish, and a story being twisted by the likes of Britain First and other tosspot groups :(

Edited to add, the bbc claims there is no evidence of any political or religious background. Lets hope its just the usual haters stirring things up
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Robbo70 wrote:Sadly, some of the trashier papers are claiming the pilot was a muslim convert. I really do hope this is rubbish, and a story being twisted by the likes of Britain First and other tosspot groups :(

Edited to add, the bbc claims there is no evidence of any political or religious background. Lets hope its just the usual haters stirring things up
I loath and detest the way that so much information and misinformation spreads so quickly in such situations and in this one it seems to be extremely fast.

I also really hope that the retrieval team do find the other 'black box' and that it has some useful information on it.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

According to the aviation authority today, they stated that there are only three airlines that are UK based operating the two person policy, the others that are not say they will implement the new rule as soon as possible. Thomsons being one of them.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:According to the aviation authority today, they stated that there are only three airlines that are UK based operating the two person policy, the others that are not say they will implement the new rule as soon as possible. Thomsons being one of them.
Easyjet and Virgin Atlantic have reacted positively in implementing it too I believe.
-Aldous Huxley
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Virgin, Monarch, Ryanair, Jet2 and Flybe all confirmed they already required two people to be in the cockpit at all times, Thomas Cook, easyJet start from today BA does not comment on its security processes others will follow.
Its already a mandatory requirement in the US and other airlines around the globe are making this policy including Lufthansa Group that owns GermanWings.

Even if its not company policy as yet I bet you will find most Captains and crews making it their policy after all once the doors are closed they are responsible for the safety of the aircraft.

The other "Blackbox" won't reveal much only to confirm the control inputs of the first officer. This box records the technical aspects of the aircraft. All the relevant information has already been derived from the "Cockpit Voice Recorder" (the Black Box already recovered).
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:tk Thinking aloud...

If it is technically possible to have a 'black box' for voice and also technical information, is there a case that cockpits should have CCTV with 'black box' storage too.

I don't know if passenger cabins have any sort of CCTV coverage these days either. If not, although it would add to expense I would have thought it, sadly, a good idea these days.
-Aldous Huxley