Sir Terry Pratchett RIP

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Sir Terry Pratchett RIP

Post by Scottishtourist »

Saddened to see the passing of my favourite author,Sir Terry Pratchett.

It was announced on Twitter and one of his final tweets was written in the style of the character "DEATH"in his novels.

It read "AT LAST SIR TERRY,WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.
"Terry took death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.
The End."

He passed away at home with his cat sleeping on his bed,surrounded by family.

RIP Sir Terry.I hope this is a great new adventure for you.Your novels brought joy and humour to millions and brightened up many a dark day.

A literary GIANT..you will be sadly missed.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Sir Terry Pratchett RIP

Post by jewel »

"I endorse the work of Dignity in Dying because I believe passionately that any individual should have the right to choose, as far as it is possible, the time and the conditions of their death. Over the last hundred years we have learned to be extremely good at living. But sooner or later, and so often now it is later, everybody dies. I think it’s time we learned to be as good at dying as we are at living."
Sir Terry Pratchett

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010 ... lbum]13372[/album]
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I sincerely hope that his sense of humour brightens up Heaven,jewel!

He passed away surrounded by family and his cat.
Isn't that just lovely?
No cold clinical place,no white hell!

At home peacefully and with those he loved.

That's the kinda passing I aspire to.
In Catholicism,St Joseph(spouse of Mary)is the patron Saint of a "happy death."He passed away with Jesus and Mary by his side..his loved ones!

We sing beautiful hymn to him on his feast day

"When the death shades round us gather...teach,oh teach us how to die."

Just lovely.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Christine, a.k.a. Scottishtourist wrote:
In Catholicism,St Joseph(spouse of Mary)is the patron Saint of a "happy death."He passed away with Jesus and Mary by his side..his loved ones!
I have no idea where Catholicism found this information about the death of Joseph, wife of Mary, as it is not mentioned in The Holy Bible in any version that I have read. :roll: :zz
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

And Pratchett was an atheist , many of the Discworld books (including my personal favorite, Small Gods) show the virtues of atheism and humanism - who campaigned for the Dignity in Dying, assisted death organisation.
As a nihilist, I agree...all death is happy, and a reason for celebration.

Catholicism?

Insofar as the definition of sin is a useful moral standard, the Catholics are the ones who are guilty of transgressing it. If treating people as people means anything at all, it means recognizing their right to self-determination, allowing them to make their own choices even when we disagree. Yet it’s the Catholics who think they have the right to control others’ decisions; it’s the Catholics who regard a person’s happiness or suffering, their independence and autonomy, as unimportant, and it’s the Catholics who advocate keeping a person alive, even against their own expressed wishes, to suffer the disintegration of self and the ravages of terminal illness.

Terry Pratchett saw these people for what they are long ago, so I’ll let him have the final word, by way of an apt quote from Granny Weatherwax:

"The smug mask of virtue triumphant could be almost as horrible as the face of wickedness revealed."
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:
Christine, a.k.a. Scottishtourist wrote:
I have no idea where Catholicism found this information about the death of Joseph, wife of Mary, as it is not mentioned in The Holy Bible in any version that I have read. :roll: :zz

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story :lol: