Egypt and the Middle East.

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Egypt and the Middle East.

Post by A-Four »

We learn't on Saturday past that the British Foreign Secretary, Phillip Hammond has allowed Britain to set up a base for the Royal Navy, East of Suez in Bahrain. "Expansion of the Royal Navy's footprint to enforce stability in the Gulf". That statement by Hammond on Saturday was the best joke to come out of the Middle East in years.

You may remember that President Sisi said recently that "foreign hands" are at work in the Sinia. Who are these foreign hands we could ask? The Egyptian Embassy in Libya was recently totally destroyed. Egypt has recently created a wider buffer zone along the Gaza Strip, infuriating the many various factions there.

Further away but still in the Middle East, we see the problem of Isis, and it's ideas of a califate. Although many of us could view the last califate as being the Otterman Era, it was in fact Nasser who attempted to form the most recent. In the 1950's along with Syria, saw a short period of such a califate being the United Arab Republic, however, the Israeli war put an end to that.

Fast forward now to today, Isis is getting funding from somewhere in the Middle East, but where ? The powerful oil sheikhs are getting worried. A number of countries in the Middle East spend 100% of their oil production revenue at $100 a barrel, where now it's less than $67 per barrel, this is causing financial tensions for its population.

Sinia is often seen as Egypt's Northern Ireland, and has been for any years. A further fly in the ointment that effects Sinia is the fact that natural gas has been discovered off the coast of Israel, the second field, much larger gas field is in disputed terortory, which appears off the coast of Sinia, so Israel is sitting back to see what happens in the region,.............or is it.

Let's look at just one of the Gulf States, Qatar, up until recently other Gulf states and Egypt closed their embassies in Doha as a result of the ruling family, the House of Thani's support for the Muslin Brotherhod, and to some extent Isis, through its state owned broadcaster Al Jezeera. Qater is the only overseas based mission of the Taliban.

Qatar is about the same size as Yorkshire, 70% of its 500,000 population live in its capital. Earlier this year, this Gulf state went on a arms shopping spree, in France it spent around$3 Billion, it then called in at the U.S.A., there it cemented a deal for arms of $11 Billion, which incidently was the highest agreement for arms this year in the States. On the way home, members of the ruling family called in at London, during the three day visit, they spent a staggering $23 Billion on arms,..............Bet you did'nt know that. All this fire power is fine, providing you can rely on the people who are going to fire the damn things. So to put this into prospective, Canary Wharf Tower cost about $500,000 to build, it has 50floors, Qater's expenditure on arms in the U.K. alone would buy almost 50 such towers, so a vast one tower would have 2,500 floors, however, Britain's recent statement to develop a navy base in Abu Dhabi, paid by that nation, would not even cover the cost of one such floor of the vast tower,.....what a joke.

P.S. - We learn this week that Qatar is in negotiation to buy the entire Canary Wharf complex.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt and theMiddle East.

Post by jewel »

Water is the only overseas mission of the Taliban, and the same size as Yorkshire? That should be Quatar? :/

Yes there has been a growing business link between the UK and Qatar I remember Lord Howells efforts on that score...
Qatar is the nub of terrorism in the M.E.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -terrorism

This article is about Qatar and how it's funding Islamic extremism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... mists.html

Probably Syria is the only country that shares values with the UK, as it doesn't recognise tribalism, religious superiority or sexism, unlike other M.E countries, Quatar and Egypt included.

Hang on, though what about that holy city, Mecca? It's now being known as the Las Vegas of the M.E

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 60114.html

Now that IS a joke, and a good one at that! :br
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt and the Middle East.

Post by A-Four »

I thank you for your above comments Jewel, however, the main concern in my essay is how President Sisi may view his immediate problems now that he has mainly alienated Egypt from the West, whether this is a good or bad thing, I am unsure.

When a few weeks ago he used the term 'foreign hands', I found it difficult then to understand which 'hands' he mean't, although I am none the wiser today, it becomes apparent their are many 'hands' at work, and from some areas one would least expect.

The West, and it's press believe that democracy is the only path, and as we have seen in Afghanistan and other places in the East, this simply is not in the mind set of the people who hold on to power. Therefore the average joe who lives in such countries hope for the best, wish is not so dissimilar to the West.

As I have written on here in the past America sees its future in the Pacific, and as it's president has stated, there will be no boots on the ground in the Middle East, it's reliance on oil becomes less by the day, as we can see as part reason for the dramatic fall in price. The other reason is a power battle within O.P.E.C., to reign dissident members.

I have little regard for Western press these days, for obvious reasons reporters are unable to gather information from the front line, simply making up their stories from the safety at the borders of other nations.

On the domestic side of Egypt's problems, being food and generating power, Sisi seems to be doing quite a good job in preventing hardship in his country in the near future,...........so far, so good.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When and how has Pres El Sisi alienated Egypt from the west?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:When and how has Pres El Sisi alienated Egypt from the west?

The way that democracy has played out in Egypt has certainly not, and would not please the West. When Sisi was the Defence Minister way back in February, he headed off to Russia and had discussions on 'possible' future arms deals with officials there. On the 12th August Putin attended the inauguration ceremony of President Sisi in Cairo. Almost immediately after this Sisi returned to Russia, where it was confirmation that Egypt had signed an arm deal with Russia for $3.5 Billion. Although this deal may seem small to some arms contracts in the Middle East, this is rather significant in Egypt's case, and most obviously a shift in alliances, not just for now, but also the future, and the West know this.

Since the West have enforced trade bans on Russia, it has been quite busy forging packs else where, in Egypt's case it has been in agriculture, where in the past important trade was done with E.U., now, other quite capable countries are taking up the slack.

As a footnote to my above essay, it has been announced today that Iraq has asked for a delay in its $4.6 Billion final compensation payment to Kuwait, for the 1990-91 invasion of that country. (The total compensation was set by the U.N. at $52.4 Billion). It's reason being that present day oil receipts are way below expectation. While many of the oil states have vast amounts of cash, many of the real countries of the Middle East are beginning to suffer, though Egypt is not really a part of this problem, as it is a net importer of oil.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Nasser was well known for straddling the fence between the USSR as it then was and the USA perhaps El Sisi is doing the same? The "quiet" General may have his own agenda. Good luck to him.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Nasser was well known for straddling the fence between the USSR as it then was and the USA perhaps El Sisi is doing the same? The "quiet" General may have his own agenda. Good luck to him.
Yes Carrie, you are right, you may see that on December 7th I posted on Know Egypt of the form exactly how I see Sisi and Nasser.

This new president, like him or not, has a great deal of work domestically to solve the immediate problems within his nation, from the information I am getting, he is going to great lengths to ensure there is enough food for his people, fuel to power it's generators, and benzine to transport its goods in the future. Seems international contracts are being set up all over the place.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

My eyes would be focused on that happy little state of Qatar and that happy little sh** stirring world TV station called Aljazeera. those boys are buying arms and spending billions $$$$$ on buildings and companies around the World. Why ? with only 2 million inhabitants.
If I wrote this from Doha I would now be in the 'nick, I wouldn't take eye off the ball where that lot are concerned.. :cool:
Ps: It's also half the size of Wales with 1 million less people imagine what the Welsh would do with all that money ? the mind boggles.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

My dear Dr, I do thank you for your interest and input, and as usual you can portray the facts in a one liner, than I or many others can write in either a paragraph or for that matter, a whole essay.

Actually the true official population of Qatar is more nearer 500,000, the rest are the so called 'illegal' workers, some who have been there for than fifteen years who work for British companies out there for a pittance.

Remember, these old oil state sheikhs, with their $$$$$$$ Billion are the descendants from those old water oasis sheikhs, like that one portrayed in Laurence of Arabia, 'drink the water, pay the money, or we shoot you' days, well they will return.

Now you really must excuse me, I must go now Dr, as I have to prepare my self for tomorrow nights comments on a couple of most vile and obnoxious statements else where on this form against my good name and character, and being that I shall enjoy plenty of pop long before, I am sure Keefy will be hanging around with a big black marker pen, long before 6 a.m., Monday morning.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

A few weeks ago you were implying you knew who the foreign hands were and no one else here did, and now you admit you didn't know then and don't know now? That's like the promotion for Eaten Alive...
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Glyphdoctor wrote:A few weeks ago you were implying you knew who the foreign hands were and no one else here did, and now you admit you didn't know then and don't know now? That's like the promotion for Eaten Alive...
I am sorry if you thought I gave that impression, what I wanted to show was why President Sisi used such a loose term 'foreign hands' to express involvement by certain international terrorists, or more importantly, who is backing them. I simply wished to show why certain countries and states in the Middle East would like to see as much trouble in Sinia as possible, and for very different reasons,........the rest, I wished to open up to debate.

Many things these days we take for granted, we all know why the U.S.A. entered World War II, however, when we look for their reason for its involvement in World War I, then this is more difficult, some point to the sinking of the Lusitania, though that went down two years earlier, or then again, others point to that ridiculous telegram intercepted by M.I.5., where Germany was to arm Mexico so it could take back Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. No, and you and I know this, but it is only through debate that a much clear picture emerges.

...........though debate is sadly missed on this forum these days.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

it seems today that Egypt has now entered the theatre of war against terrorists officially.

The bombing of its next door neighbour in retaliation of the murder of its citizens, opens up the whole of the Middle East to a new element, that has not been seen before, this could quite easily be the start of a dark period over the whole of this region.

As I have written in the past, under the present administration at least, there will be 'no boots on the ground' from the U.S., and the various terrorist groups operating throughout the Middle East know this. By the time a new president is in power there, who knows what it will be like.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

News is coming in that 21 Egyptian fishermen have be kidnapped off the coast of Libya, though the authorities say this is not so, we shall see.

Expect events to move quite swiftly.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think that the proverbial will hit the fan big time! I can't see IS sitting down under the attacks from Egypt and not retaliating. What makes it worse is that there are quite a few disgruntled Egyptians who are more than capable of assisting IS. :td
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Don't quote me I probably played truant this day but, I think the UK has had a democracy of sorts since 1600, but in reality it lasts as long as it takes for you to put a cross on a piece of paper, didn't take to long to work that one out, and all those wimmin fighting for what ?
Imagine the UK having a riot on the scale they had here, Democracy takes a looooong time coming and a loooonger time becoming a reality. Shwia, shwia.
Rome or for that matter Egypt wasn't built in a day. I mean, they are just learning to drive up here give them time and they could build a Pyramid.
'No Yoke!….. :cool:
Ps: mind you they can't repair a Jeep properly…ever!
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote::
Ps: mind you they can't repair a Jeep properly…ever!
Well, I am so pleased to learn at last, that you have at least deposited said item, with real people over the river, who at least know what they are doing.

I don't like doing this but others know I always tell the truth, but it has been a BIG mystery why the good Dr built that ******* great big Obelisk some time ago, all becomes very clear now. It is so that the Dr will sit on the top of it looking west, and give us lot in town at least a three second warning of any F16 coming from Libya,.........for sure he has become The Sentinal.

P.S. - For God sake man do not forget to take that cushion when you mount the damn thing. :wi :wi :wi .
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

My Masala is there because I ordered 50 tubes (bricks) my mate probably on a 'bit of commission got 1500. So what does one do with 1500 bricks blocking ones bridge.
QED Build a Masala (Obelisk) to the illiterate…. :cool:
'To think it is to create it'
'For a 'Y's man'
Sophocles.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

A-Four wrote:
As I have written in the past, under the present administration at least, there will be 'no boots on the ground' from the U.S., and the various terrorist groups operating throughout the Middle East know this. By the time a new president is in power there, who knows what it will be like.
Obama has again appealed for boots on ground this afternoon. 4000 troops ready to move if approved. I don't think the terrorists are well trained enough, or have enough numbers to actually take on proper ground force troops. I suspect once the bombing by air has depleted their arms cache a bit more and killed a few more leaders then ground force will push them back very quickly. Unfortunately, it will push them underground too.
timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Robbo70 wrote:
A-Four wrote:
Obama has again appealed for boots on ground this afternoon. 4000 troops ready to move if approved. I don't think the terrorists are well trained enough, or have enough numbers to actually take on proper ground force troops. I suspect once the bombing by air has depleted their arms cache a bit more and killed a few more leaders then ground force will push them back very quickly. Unfortunately, it will push them underground too.

About six foot underground would be good! :lol: