Deir esh-Shelwet

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Deir esh-Shelwet

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:LOL! That's why I asked about coins. Chances are there is someone hanging around with a pocketful of foreign change he needs exchanged for Egyptian pounds. I think it would actually be pretty easy to scrounge up $5 that way. If it was in euros or UK pounds I certainly could scrounge that amount out of my drawer here in unconvertible coins I have acquired during trips/stopovers in Europe.
We see a lot of dollar notes in Hurghada...but I've never seen dimes, quarters etc. I suspect if anyone proffered them as a tip they be thrown back! The boys demand at least $1 for telling you the time of day.

The machines that change foreign currency (euros sterling, dollars) won't even accept $1 notes!! $5 is the smallest denomination they'll handle.

I suppose dollars turn up in Luxor (via the Russian day trippers)...but only notes.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I would of thought that the vast majority of expats living here came to enjoy their retirement years, not open a business. Those that do own a business came here to purposely do so. If, like I, they have bought a property, then they will still own that property until their end days, but if you opened a get rich quick business that goes tits up, then you haven't a pot to **** in at the end of it all.

On a personal note, even as I stand on the threshold of sixty two with shaky legs, I do like a maids outfit, especially when they are fluffing around with their feather dusters in those hard to reach areas. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I think a large number came to marry a local and then followed his request to invest their retirement nest egg in a hotel/villa/flats for tourists. There's probably a million and one ideas one could come up with for tourism related businesses that require very small investments initially, that would diversify the experiences available to tourists, and are easy to fold up if they don't succeed. They are not entrepreneurs, nor creative types, they are just sheep. These are not business leaders, they are followers. Just look at any popular tourist destination outside Egypt and what makes it attractive to tourists and you will find it usually is a diversity of activities, not beds to sleep in.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:I would of thought that the vast majority of expats living here came to enjoy their retirement years, not open a business. Those that do own a business came here to purposely do so. If, like I, they have bought a property, then they will still own that property until their end days, but if you opened a get rich quick business that goes tits up, then you haven't a pot to **** in at the end of it all.

On a personal note, even as I stand on the threshold of sixty two with shaky legs, I do like a maids outfit, especially when they are fluffing around with their feather dusters in those hard to reach areas. :up

I suggest you keep your cross-dressing predilections within the confines of your four walls ;)

You know how people gossip :wi
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Who2-By the way, 4 employees of the tuftuf company in the Valley of the Kings were arrested 2 weeks ago for trading in foreign currency on site. Another 2 got arrested for selling books and postcards on the tuftuf.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

On Glyphs point about interesting things to do in Luxor that doesn't include buying or renting accomadation or food outlets. When in Cairo I went to a show in the Islamic quarter of Cairo, a whirling dervish show. Nothing like the tacky shows you get in Luxor. Musicians were fantastic, I have never heard anyone play the oud like the man there, didn't sound like anyone was trying to strangle the cat, the tabla players incredible and the dancing well beyond belief. Mostly Egyptians there and for once they were quiet never heard one mobile phone, place errupted with applause when they had finished. I have every intention of going again when next I visit.
If someone started something like that in Luxor I am sure it would be a hit.
If anyone is interested it's not far from Al Azar University, in the new art centre, cost 30le to foreigners.
The building is old and beautiful too.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

carrie wrote: I went to a show in the Islamic quarter of Cairo, a whirling dervish show. Nothing like the tacky shows you get in Luxor...
If someone started something like that in Luxor I am sure it would be a hit.
If anyone is interested it's not far from Al Azar University, in the new art centre, cost 30le to foreigners.
:look: It used to be free for everyone!

It is not something that has been started for tourists - that is the difference and what makes it a "hit".

There are skilled musicians and dancers in Luxor, but performances are not well promoted, so it can be difficult to know where and when to experience them, thus they do not attract a big audience though they could.

Not all culture in Luxor is tacky!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It costs 30le for foreigners, free for Egyptians and 3le for other Arabic nations.
I agree Bennu that not everything is tacky in Luxor and there are some great musicians, especially those who perform at the Culture Club but the whirling dervish shows that I have seen here certainly have been.