Mubarak, his sons, interior minister and aides acquitted

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Mubarak, his sons, interior minister and aides acquitted

Post by DJKeefy »

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, his interior minister Habib El-Adly and his top aides were all found not guilty of killing protesters in the January 2011 uprising.

Mubarak and his two sons were also acquitted of all corruption charges.

Mubarak had been accused of selling natural gas to Israel at below-market prices in cooperation with business tycoon Hussein Salem.

Salem, Mubarak and his two sons Alaa and Gamal were also acquitted on other charges of illicit gains.

Mubarak and his co-defendants were found guilty in June 2012 and sentenced to life imprisonment. The initial verdict was appealed successfully and a retrial began in April 2013. Alaa and Gamal were defendants in the trial, but only faced corruption charges.

Despite being acquitted on Saturday, Mubarak and his two sons are still facing separate three-year prison terms for embezzlement of public funds.

The 86-year-old former president who ruled for 30 years has spent much of his detention at a military hospital on the southern outskirts of Cairo.

El-Adly will also remain jailed. In May 2011, he was convicted of money laundering and profiteering, for which he now serves a seven-year jail sentence.

Mubarak, Alaa, Gamal and Adly arrived to court early Saturday ahead of the verdict.

As with past trials, a number of Mubarak supporters were present in front of the court, raising his photograph.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/116711.aspx

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Mubarak, his sons, interior minister and aides acquitted

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Hands up all those who didn't see that coming from a mile away.. :br

To think that Hosni was knocking on deaths door all that time..bless :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

He is still in gaol (hospital) on a different offence though.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Well let's see if Sisi can hang on in there until Murbarack is released and re-instated.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I still say that a South American beach resort still awaits his presence, and that of his suitcase stuffed with the millions if not billions stolen from the Egyptian people.. :br

Justice is a Image
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

As I said at the time, it was all a futile exercise which did no good for the future of Egypt. Western style democracy does not work in these countries ( neither does it in the west ).
The demonstrations in Cairo are headlining on the news tonight. :roll:
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

'The Teflon Don who started out to change his world as did so many others, with power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
My thoughts as always have been make people happy, make people think nicely of you, money is fun so give it away, to be honest the thieving b***ard just stole too much and listened too much to his mrs, sue that welsh tart…. :cool:
Ps: she bought herself off for 20k clever and both are now currently 'banged-up in a 'prison that was his winter palace in Sharm, she does the shopping at the weekends, spare me, some prisons are only in your mind!…. :cool:
Pss: think! Che-Mandella-Golda Meir-Gerry Adams-Phoolan Devi-Adolf-Nasser-Cesar, ect…..ect
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote:'The Teflon Don who started out to change his world as did so many others, with power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
My thoughts as always have been make people happy, make people think nicely of you, money is fun so give it away, to be honest the thieving b***ard just stole too much and listened too much to his mrs, sue that welsh tart…. :cool:
Ps: she bought herself off for 20k clever and both are now currently 'banged-up in a 'prison that was his winter palace in Sharm, she does the shopping at the weekends, spare me, some prisons are only in your mind!…. :cool:
Pss: think! Che-Mandella-Golda Meir-Gerry Adams-Phoolan Devi-Adolf-Nasser-Cesar, ect…..ect
The news reports at the time stated that she handed over $5 million to stay 'clean', then a couple of months later it was stated that it was $20 million.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Having chosen to live in Egypt, the ongoing saga of corruption etc. bothers me more than it would in some other despotic country...or even my country of origin.

I do feel a sense of.....sadness....that a people, most of whom I find decent human beings, have to live their lives knowing of, or at least suspecting, the horrible deeds perpetrated in the past and seeing the culprits get off almost scot-free.

And knowing that, for all the turmoil of the last 3 years, little, if anything, is changing.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Don't fret N it's the same everywhere if you scratch the surface...it's called Gladiator wars.

phpBB [video]
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!