Adobe Homes

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Adobe Homes

Post by carrie »

A friend has a mud brick house and she wants to put up some shelves, now before we two DIY "experts" start drilling holes, do we do it the same way as when drilling into brick i.e. with the rawl plugs etc?

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Adobe Homes

Post by Who2 »

You can try by making a large hole filling it with cement then drilling into the cement other than that the shelves will fall down,
from the voice of experience…. :cool:
Ps: I also don't gaurantee my first suggestion.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sounds like a no no then, but thanks for the advice.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Would it be easier or feasible to make free standing shelves that can be moved around? (Don't need drilling into walls then) - Just a thought
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

How about using wooden batons secured to the wall, using the method the Doc' suggested ?
Then fix the shelves to the batons. :up

The batons will spread the load.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I would go for the free standing shelves - piles of mud bricks near the ends and planks spanning them.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Cant put up shelves in a mudbrick house, full stop. Make them with scaffold planks, free standing. I have this type, as my house walls are rocks,straw and mud and the walls are not level anyway. Good luck .. :)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If you can put things up on a wall then your house cannot breathe as an adobe house made of mud sand & hay ect has the ability to breath and live, it keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer people who live in concreate have no understanding of an adobe dweller, even in this day and age this is Bam a city entirely built of adobe.
An awful lot of people in this world live in adobe houses….. :cool:
phpBB [video]

My ol adobe hacienda…enjoy!
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The only method that I can think of is this. If your friend wants the shelves to be on a particular wall area then I first presume that the ceiling above has timber struts of some kind that span from wall to wall. Here they sell large self screw cup hooks that you could screw quite safely into the underside of the ceiling timbers. From these hooks you could use ether thin rope or chains to support the shelves by creating a triangular shaped support for the shelf. If a long span you would use three cup hooks, or carry the cradling down to how many shelves you require.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Blimey Dusak I am very good with a hammer can knock anything down, good with a drill love making holes in things but I think you are over estimating I and my friends abilities. Perhaps all you clever clogs, no insult intended, could start a series of lectures on simple DIY techniques, CE or who ever he is could spare time from his motor cycle club activities and give a talk on electrics. Bet he would save a few lives that way. My friend has a pool and is paying a fortune in maintenance would like to know how to care for that too. Come on you guys and gals take up the challenge.
I have just started to make home made yoghurt, that could be my contribution we start on face cream and soap next week.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Probably the main concern when living in adobe houses is to ensure if one has a roof water tank that all the water pipes do-not leak as this can lead to disastrous results, I have a thousand liters approximately a 1000 kilograms or an awul lot of sugar bags on my roof.
This is born from mine having leaked.
Regarding the swimming pool one can buy locally 'Shaba or Alum which has been used by the ancients as a purifyer, it also tightens the skin and is great for one's 'farmers.."alot of populus qui non sciunt"….. :cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum
Spoiler
Farmer Giles = Piles = Haemorrhoids
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

If it is acceptable to hang the shelves from the ceiling it must be much better to place them on the floor. Some sort of strapping to the wall or ceiling will stabilise them.

As for water-tanks on the roof of a mud-brick construction, better to place it on a metal scaffolding of some sort!
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

That's why the ancient Egyptians kept everything in boxes, baskets and chests. Even today you almost never see a closet here, only wardrobes.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:That's why the ancient Egyptians kept everything in boxes, baskets and chests. Even today you almost never see a closet here, only wardrobes.
There must be an abundance of closets here as folk are continually popping in and out of them. And where would we keep our skeletons?
carrie wrote:Blimey Dusak I am very good with a hammer can knock anything down, good with a drill love making holes in things but I think you are over estimating I and my friends abilities. Perhaps all you clever clogs, no insult intended, could start a series of lectures on simple DIY techniques, CE or who ever he is could spare time from his motor cycle club activities and give a talk on electrics. Bet he would save a few lives that way. My friend has a pool and is paying a fortune in maintenance would like to know how to care for that too. Come on you guys and gals take up the challenge.
I have just started to make home made yoghurt, that could be my contribution we start on face cream and soap next week.
carrie, if you or your friend would like to PM me with the rough sizes of the pool and state if it has a circulation/filter system I would be quite happy to advise her. It is remarkably cheap to maintain. I suggest a PM as I grow tiered of the usual suspects condemning me for contributing to the nations water shortage purely out of an act of self indulgence. :mrgreen:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.