Visit to Aswan

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Visit to Aswan

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Daraw has a camel market, maybe the dead ones are the rejects?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This is only second hand information but my friends sister recently got married and moved to Aswan. She mentioned that a friend of her husband had had to kill his two camels due to a virus that was making it imposable for them to walk. This was about six months ago. Perhaps its an economical decision if the dead camels were attached to the tourist trade.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

They walk for 40 days from Sudan to get to Daraw, so it is possible some just don't arrive in good shape. There is apparently a place along the road to the camel market here in Cairo where they dump ones that don't make the truck trip from Daraw either. I've seen pictures of it.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

How far do you think it is from Daraw, Glyph to Aswan, I was aware that there was a camal market there but never associated the dead camels with the market but I think you must be right they are the rejects or the sickly. And thinking back it was a particularly flat area of land not too far off the main road. Just the place for a market.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:Can't wait Yildez, not too long before you come back here again. You will love it there.
Well hopefully it will be an improvement on my first visit, 2 years ago! I loved Philae and Abu Simbel, and had a brilliant afternoon at Elephantine - like you, I met a Belgian archaeologist who took me round! However getting my bag "dipped" left a nasty taste in the mouth, even though the woman only got my mirror and comb. :(