Drive Right campaign raises awareness for drivers in Alex...

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Drive Right campaign raises awareness for drivers in Alex...

Post by DJKeefy »

Drive Right campaign raises awareness for drivers in Alexandria.

“Put down your phone and drive carefully,” “Don’t weave between cars,” “Don’t comb your hair while driving,” are simple messages written on billboards in a new public awareness campaign called “Drive Right” in Alexandria, tackling the dangers of driving.

Youssef Reda, the founder of the Drive Right campaign, says he first started with a campaign against harassment. “When it proved successful, people asked us to do more campaigns about other irregularities in the community,” he explained. “We decided to tackle road accidents because they happen when drivers do not concentrate on driving and play with their mobile phones or iPads.”

The campaign began early this October with a billboard on the busy Abu Qir Street with the message of ‘leave the mobile phone and drive carefully’.

“When this also proved successful, we put up more billboards with similar messages,” he said. “And we are preparing a campaign to collect garbage.”

Asking about the effect of the campaign, a driver praised it while another said it is useless because people are accustomed to violating these rules.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/d ... alexandria

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Drive Right campaign raises awareness for drivers in Ale

Post by DJKeefy »

Could do with something like that in Luxor, but on a greater scale :)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

"When this proved successful.....". Really ?? Any empirical evidence for this? Maybe Alexandrians are a different breed (Glyph might know :) ) but I have to say I've seen no indication that Egyptians take a blind bit of notice of billboards exhorting them to drive more sensibly.

Hurghada is festooned with such notices. They only add to the general untidiness of the roadside...and are sometimes so badly placed as to present an additional menace by obstructing the view or, in my case, distracting me while I laugh at the inappropriate & often garbled English translation :lol:

A concerted, and prolonged, operation by the police to apprehend & punish miscreants might, in the long term, change ingrained habits (like the seat belt, drink/drive, speed regulations when they were introduced in UK)......but billboards will continue to be ignored.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I seem to remember that during the early part of 2010 the Egyptian government brought in a law that made it illegal to make excessive use of a vehicle horn.

I once asked a taxi driver when we were on the Cairo to Alexandria motorway, why he used the horn when ever he overtook another vehicle. His answer was that he needed to warn the driver in front of his intension, seemed a good idea at the time,..........though, I don't think I would have wanted to live anywhere near that road.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And as they look up to read said billboards they smash into the vehicle in front or flatten a pedestrian. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:I seem to remember that during the early part of 2010 the Egyptian government brought in a law that made it illegal to make excessive use of a vehicle horn.

I once asked a taxi driver when we were on the Cairo to Alexandria motorway, why he used the horn when ever he overtook another vehicle. His answer was that he needed to warn the driver in front of his intension, seemed a good idea at the time,..........though, I don't think I would have wanted to live anywhere near that road.
In Hurghada we have a 5km boulevard in the tourist district called el mamsha.....the walking area. A one way road and promenade for tourists. Taxis curb crawl along tooting at every tourist...even those walking in the opposite direction. There are signs with a bugle and red line through it every 50 metres. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It's still a cacophony of toots :vs
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

newcastle wrote: Hurghada is festooned with such notices. They only add to the general untidiness of the roadside...and are sometimes so badly placed as to present an additional menace by obstructing the view or, in my case, distracting me while I laugh at the inappropriate & often garbled English translation :lol:
The government put up a bunch of signs down the middle of the main street here with various bits of advice. The best one is about checking the condition of your tires, because they put it up half a block before a tire shop! Free advertising by coincidence!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One of my favourites in Hurghada is the large sign , but with tiny writing, at a major junction on a fast moving highway, telling you to indicate your intention to turn right well ahead of the junction. It's placed 5 metres before the junction.

Another says "Do not place your child behind the steering wheel" :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Or as I saw a couple of days ago in Karnak. Child of about eight with arms outstretched holding on for dear life to a four foot square of glass on the back of what I presume to be his fathers motorbike. His fingers could just about clamp each edge. Utter irresponsible ****'eds in my opinion. Here in Luxor, if the authorities were to place signs up warning of the dangers of X,Y,Z while driving/riding, I estimate that Luxor would need an extra 50,000 signs placed every ten yards with an extra 1,000 or so telling them to read the other signs.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:Or as I saw a couple of days ago in Karnak. Child of about eight with arms outstretched holding on for dear life to a four foot square of glass on the back of what I presume to be his fathers motorbike. His fingers could just about clamp each edge. Utter irresponsible ****'eds in my opinion. Here in Luxor, if the authorities were to place signs up warning of the dangers of X,Y,Z while driving/riding, I estimate that Luxor would need an extra 50,000 signs placed every ten yards with an extra 1,000 or so telling them to read the other signs.
Brilliant idea Dusak :up This would create much needed employment for sign writers & labourers.

Of course it would have no affect whatsoever on Egyptian driving habits :lol: