Egypt's archaeological sites free for two days

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt's archaeological sites free for two days

Post by DJKeefy »

Starting today (Saturday), and for two days only, all open archaeological sites in Egypt can be visited for free.

Minister of Antiquities Mamdouh El-Damaty told Ahram Online that the decision is the ministry’s way of marking World Tourism Day and an attempt to encourage Egyptians and foreigners who live in Egypt to know more about the country’s civilisation. It also, he added, reflects the country’s stable security condition. “Egypt is safe,” El-Damaty asserted.

El-Damaty went on saying that in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, a number of cultural events are to be held, including musical concerts, folk dance performances and poetry recitals organized in Al-Muizz Street, Al-Suhaimy House in Old Cairo, Manial Palace, the garden of the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir, at the Abu Simbel temples and Qayetbay Citadel in Alexandria.

Nashwa Gaber, head of the technical office, said that the documentary film department of the Ministry of Antiquities is to provide to the media documentaries on Egypt’s different archeological sites, aiming to raise cultural awareness of Egypt's heritage and get foreigners more acquainted with Egypt’s civilisational history.

Gaber pointed out that on the fringes of the celebration a book fair is to be held at Manial Palace where a large collection of historic and archaeological books will be available.

Ahmed Motawea, director of the development of archeological sites section at the ministry, explained that technical workshops for children are to be held in all museums around Egypt in an attempt to raise children’s awareness on Egypt's heritage and its distinguished civilisations.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/111796.aspx

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Egypt's archaeological sites free for two days

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I would suggest anyone hoping for free entry to sites should copy the above, preferably with an Arabic version too, and have it ready to prove this statement at any ticket office. Last year there was a lot of reported confusion.

Alternatively, you could just pay the normal entrance fee, marvel at what you see, and hope that your contribution will be going to help the general antiquities coffers. :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Judging by unrelated posts in this forum, a lot of people living on tourist visas have thick skulls when it comes to understanding the meaning of "residents" so I wouldn't be surprised if some confusion and bitching does ensue.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I know a few who went to various sites today (including the museum), to be told it is only free for Egyptians. So the part in the newsfeed that says "foreigners who live in Egypt" is false, unless someone is trying to make a quick buck, one European women I heard that kicked up a fuss over the matter was given entry for half price.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I've noticed they are all free, after midnight...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Revenues were down for the ministry of antiquities 95% in the last year and they are finding it difficult to even pay salaries. Sorry for the language, but the first thought that popped into my mind when you tell the story of the woman, is what a bitch. Self-centered, self-serving bitch who thinks visiting some temple for free is her God-given right when the ticket seller may not even be getting paid on time. Sad really sad.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Then there is the other side of the coin Glyph, what about other countries that are celebrating World Tourism Day too, there's is many more countries that are suffering from economical downfalls, I bet they don't discriminate who you are or what country you are from, mind you it's well known that Egypt does have that trait of different prices for tourists.

Where is all the billions made in the past from all the antiquities, did someone spend it all? and your saying they can't afford to pay a ticket man on time (maybe 400LE to 600LE) a month :roll:
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Most third world countries I have visited have had two prices (sometimes 3) - one price for the nationals of that country and one for non-nationals - the 3rd price has been for various 'classes' of visitor - a non-national wife/husband of a national, UN officials etc.

It's a shame if it is true that only certain people could get in for free today - How many Egyptian Tourists are there? If everyone was allowed in free, including tourist, I bet there would be more positive 'word of mouth' advertising than the negative advertising this has created.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Not true Hepzi. And it is not just third world countries. Look at all the free days for residents of the state of Illinois at Chicago museums and other cultural institutions:
http://www.timeout.com/chicago/kids/act ... useum-days

And city residents get a discount off the tickets every day at the Field Museum, because city residents support the museum via their taxes.

And yes, revenues were less than salaries in the last year and yes salaries have been late in Luxor during the last few months. Rolling your eyes about others' troubles is rather insensitive.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

lol Glyph, I am not rolling my eyes at people not getting paid ( I am sure you know that), my eye rolling is that I don't believe for 1 second that they can't pay the workers of these sites, unless billions of pounds in revenues from all the sites, which I presume is banked as gone missing or got stolen.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yes, a lot was stolen, or laundered or embezzled away from the antiquities. You are 100% correct about that.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I am over busy and over tired so I may have missed something, but I fail to see what I have said that is untrue.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Sorry Hepzi, I got you confused with Keefy.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Yes, a lot was stolen, or laundered or embezzled away from the antiquities. You are 100% correct about that.
Also for the ex-head of the SCA 'Prat in the Hat printing the entrance tickets has still yet to be investigated.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This is always a difficult one for me to comment on. Speaking personally, I do not think or agree that we as residents should get free entrance to any site. We can afford to pay, not that I think that there is any expat living here that has not visited these sites at least once in the past, so are not really loosing out or missing something that they have not seen already. But the locals should receive this opportunity, as I think that many would consider that the very small entrance fee that is available all year round to them is or would be considered a waste of their precious coinage.

My friend has only visited Luxor Temple which was on a school trip, but still they had to pay one Egyptian pounds each for the privilege. This one pound gave them a sandwich and a drink, thirty years ago. She says she has no interest in the ''old things.'' I think if they want to promote these sites, then a clearly advertised one grand open day, once a year for one site only, would benefit more in the long run, including tourists, and at the end of the day, they are more important in the grand schema of things, not us expats.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I for one am quite prepared to pay the full price of a visit, my friend and I went to Gebel el Sisi last year plus many other sites, we intend to go again this coming winter. The amount of time we spend wandering round, photographing and discussing what we have seen is incredible. Costs more to get there than it does to visit.

When we were at Gebel last year a group of prospective Egyptian tour guides were being taken round, I have never seen any one visit the sites with so little apparent interest. As we were leaving a group of children arrived the boys were much more interested in climbing the trees than seeing the site. Which lead to a nasty accident in one case.