Upper Egypt road crash kills 9

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Upper Egypt road crash kills 9

Post by DJKeefy »

Nine people were killed and 30 others injured in a road crash Tuesday on the Upper Egypt road.

A bus, travelling from Luxor – in southern Egypt – to Cairo, crashed into a truck loaded with marble, the interior ministry’s media centre stated. The bus also caught fire as a result of the crash.

Injured victims were transferred to Beni Suef General Hospital, in central Egypt, while authorities arrived at the site to clear it for traffic.

Egyptian traffic laws are not strictly implemented and roads have long suffered from lack of maintenance, and deadly traffic accidents are frequent nationwide.

A report, drawn up in April by the ministries of transport and interior, said that large trucks were to blame for 40 percent of traffic accidents.

It also put the number of road accidents that took place in Egypt from 2008 to 2012 at 100,000, with 33,000 killed and another 150,000 injured.

In late August, ten people were killed in an accident on the Cairo – Ismailia highway and 19 others were killed in another accident involving two microbuses in Luxor.

More recently, dozens were injured in a number of bus crashes near Hurghada, on Egypt’s Red Sea coast.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/110899.aspx

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Upper Egypt road crash kills 9

Post by Who2 »

Have they considered having a competition ?...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

I read about this this afternoon, it was only later this evening we heard that two teachers from my children's school were 2 of the victims :( RIP
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The news of 6 policemen being blown up in the North Sinai yesterday seems to have escaped most of the press' attention, add that to the10 who were also killed in the same area 2 weeks ago... :-/
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bullet Magnet wrote:The news of 6 policemen being blown up in the North Sinai yesterday seems to have escaped most of the press' attention, add that to the10 who were also killed in the same area 2 weeks ago... :-/
It was on the BBC, AJ and Dubai news the other day. Complete with big maps and even bigger arrows pointing to the spot. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm of a mind there are LOTS of atrocities happening in the Middle East that we hear nothing about at all
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I'm of a mind there are LOTS of atrocities happening in the Middle East that we hear nothing about at all
Unfortunately not just the Middle East but the whole planet. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

It was reported on TV and on Luxor News Live on FB that there was another bus crash yesterday on the Luxor to Hurghada road. The driver and one other Egyptian are dead and about 20 Russians hurt and taken to hospital :(
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Billy_whiz wrote:It was reported on TV and on Luxor News Live on FB that there was another bus crash yesterday on the Luxor to Hurghada road. The driver and one other Egyptian are dead and about 20 Russians hurt and taken to hospital :(

The entirely predictable consequence of buses (legal speed limit 80KPH) thundering down that (occasionally) winding road, past road works and facing oncoming juggernauts.....all at 120KPH.

They will never learn....
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I just looked up about this and there was a list of the dead, mostly from one Coptic family. However, there was someone from another family whose name was Mena Safwat Dollar! That's a name I haven't heard before.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

My mechanic is from Gurna he's a Horrabat he, is presently fixing the 'dibriach, the clutch after it came back from having the takeef, air/con not fixed. So spare me their competence at just about anything, he is my third mechanic the last two I ran over....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.