Egypt tourist numbers decline 20.5 pct in June year-on-year

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Egypt tourist numbers decline 20.5 pct in June year-on-year

Post by Bombay »

Tourists visiting Egypt in June declined 20.5 percent compared to the same period the year prior, according to the latest report by the Ministry of Tourism.
A total of 785,652 foreign tourists spent 6.8 million nights in Egypt during June compared to 988,573 spending almost eight million nights a year earlier.

The report also showed that the first half of 2014 brought 4.4 million tourists to Egypt, a 25 percent drop from the same period the previous year.

From January to June, most tourists came from Europe, with 3.4 million Europeans spending 32 million nights in Egypt.

The Middle East was the second biggest region for tourists to Egypt, with almost 570,000 visitors from the region, representing a 42.5 percent drop from the same period the previous year. Middle East tourists account for 7.7 million nights in the first half of 2014.

The tourism sector, which accounts for roughly nine percent of GDP, has received several blows since a popular uprising forced president Hosni Mubarak to step down in 2011. Prolonged periods of unrest and sporadic violence have led many countries to warn their citizens against travelling to Egypt.

Nonetheless, several countries have recently lifted travel warnings on Egypt's South Sinai resorts following the relative stabilisation brought to the security situation in the area, revealed Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou earlier this month.

Several European countries imposed Egypt travel bans since February, when a bomb blast on a tour bus in South Sinai killed three South Koreans and their Egyptian driver and raised concerns about safety in Red Sea resorts.

As part of the Ministry of Tourism's efforts to facilitate the revival of the tourism industry, all electric bills from touristic establishments have been postponed to 2015 while dropping any related fines.

The ministry is also targeting new markets with high purchasing power, particularly India and China.

Earlier this week, EgyptAir signed an agreement to launch a direct flight line between Cairo and New Delhi while adding three lines to the existing four lines between Egypt and India.

Egypt is currently targeting one million tourists from India by 2017.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/106415.aspx

:D

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Egypt tourist numbers decline 20.5 pct in June year-on-y

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I was once listening to a manager from a Luxor Hotel saying that we are not prepared to offer deals, when asked why, he said that we are a 5* Hotel and people expect to pay for 5* quality, we do not intend to drop our standards. Well, thats ok but when there are 5 or 6 people in a hotel that holds maybe 600 people the atmosphere has gone, and therefore you may have a 5* Hotel you cannot offer 5* ambience.

One way to tempt to tourists back is by competition, surely 50 rooms at half price is better than 5 rooms at full price. surely a full aircraft at 30% reductions is better than a 30% full aircraft where the people pay full price.

I don't think it is Rocket Science, or is it??

Then of course you have the problem Luxor has got at the moment, very few flights, very few facilities, hardly any night time places of entertainment, dual pricing, and a frustrated band of local people that just abuse swear and treat tourists has if they were something the cat brought in. So there is a lot to do, but when is it going to start??

You may get a bit of competition if Indians start flooding Luxor Bombay, so make sure your Popadoms and Naan's are kept to top quality. But you may be able to diverse into an American Diner, Bombay's Chili Dog and Pretzel Diner... ;) or Bombay's Lap Top Diner ;)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

So tourist numbers dropped by 20 percent on last years figures. Last year they had dropped from the year before and the year before that so I wonder what the actual percentage drop is now compared to prior to the Mubarak revolution. Russell you can only pay rent etc on establishments for so long, no one can continue month on month making a loss, I just hope that you can hold on till better times come. Good luck and best wishes.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I was once listening to a manager from a Luxor Hotel saying that we are not prepared to offer deals, when asked why, he said that we are a 5* Hotel and people expect to pay for 5* quality, we do not intend to drop our standards. Well, thats ok but when there are 5 or 6 people in a hotel that holds maybe 600 people the atmosphere has gone, and therefore you may have a 5* Hotel you cannot offer 5* ambience.

One way to tempt to tourists back is by competition, surely 50 rooms at half price is better than 5 rooms at full price. surely a full aircraft at 30% reductions is better than a 30% full aircraft where the people pay full price.

I don't think it is Rocket Science, or is it??

Then of course you have the problem Luxor has got at the moment, very few flights, very few facilities, hardly any night time places of entertainment, dual pricing, and a frustrated band of local people that just abuse swear and treat tourists has if they were something the cat brought in. So there is a lot to do, but when is it going to start??

You may get a bit of competition if Indians start flooding Luxor Bombay, so make sure your Popadoms and Naan's are kept to top quality. But you may be able to diverse into an American Diner, Bombay's Chili Dog and Pretzel Diner... ;) or Bombay's Lap Top Diner ;)
Chocky - I admire you with your posts - you don't half get slated sometimes but you never snap back.

I salute you for your enthusiasm and optimism.

Lets hope for all concerned it picks up soon.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've been travelling to the Caribbean & Mexico for the past few years and they have no problem at all putting out offers to get people there AND while the actual tourist count is down it is nothing like the numbers coming out of Egypt.