Nothing beats Live Music

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Nothing beats Live Music

Post by BENNU »

Bullet Magnet wrote:The Gregory Porter style of Jazz is the style I like, Thank You for introducing him to me Bennu.. , :up I could never get on with the likes of Chloe Lane and Johnny Dankworth Jazz.
I told you that he has a varied audience. The evening was not dominated by jazz lovers, but last night was. I will probably meet many old friends tonight who do not notice that it is a jazz festival, and tomorrow too.

I have been trying to think of some British jazz musicians to justify this long thread about a wonderful week in sunny Copenhagen. I googled Dankworth/Lane and listen to them now for the first time, sounds very good! :up
Bullet Magnet wrote:
I bet Stevies Appearance was a BIG surprise.. :up :up :up :up
Not least to Gregory! :D

Bullet Magnet wrote:
Alison and I love Stevie Wonders Album, Journey through the Secret Life of Plants.
Now, that takes me back! I have it on vinyl in an old wooden Carlsberg beer crate at the attick. The guy who gave it to me in the seventies did not even know Stevie Wonder, but the title was enough to catch his attention.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Ah! Now I see which posts I've missed. I'm going to have to come back and listen to them later though. :(
As long as it does not have to be live, it will still be available.

(HEPZIBAH, I have had my Tuareg silver stolen, but the old Berber brooch that I bought in Marrakech and my huge old silver bracelet from Siwa with lapis lazuli matched with white gold and star sapphire and an indigo linen dress is my choice for the Tinariwen show tonight. Wanna join me?)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Ah! Now I see which posts I've missed. I'm going to have to come back and listen to them later though. :(
As long as it does not have to be live, it will still be available.

(HEPZIBAH, I have had my Tuareg silver stolen, but the old Berber brooch that I bought in Marrakech and my huge old silver bracelet from Siwa with lapis lazuli matched with white gold and star sapphire and an indigo linen dress is my choice for the Tinariwen show tonight. Wanna join me?)
( :-( Really sorry to hear you've had your Tuareg silver stolen. You bet I'd love to join you at the Tinariwen show (although I could not come up to your dress style and standard). Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Who knows...maybe I will dream in 'Toureg Blue' tonight! )
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

American jazz and blues musicians love to go to West Africa searching for their musical roots and to exchange experience with West African masters. Different tribes living side by side in the same countries each have their individual rhythms and instruments, but inspire each other and band members from different tribes often mix their styles. It is through my passion for West African music that I went from liking to loving blues, and calling Tinariwen's music desert blues makes perfect sense to me.

The Tuaregs gave a nice performance and I am filled with soft desert blues.

:bb:

Concha Buika grew up on Mallorca, the daughter of African refugees. Her voice should speak for itself:

phpBB [video]

:dance4:
With my background in Spanish Arabic, Andalusian, North- and West African dance there is no way I would let her sing in Copenhagen without me on the front row, but that is not until tomorrow.

:br The first week of July, the streets, parks, clubs, theaters, canals, water front and churches in Copenhagen are full of many different kinds of music around the clock and every year there are many concerts that I miss. I just make sure to get tickets to events with numbered seats before everyone else. :wi

:d2:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Nothing beats live music.

Today, I was listening to the songs of this African Spanish flaming flamenco/gipsy singer while preparing myself for another evening of fabulous music, but there definitely is another dimension to live performance. In Concha Buika's case, several dimensions.

This singer is in my eyes and ears the personification of every aspect of woman, of female power that I know. Like Gregory Porter the other day, pure strength, power, soul, spirit and magic. Authentic, modest and extraordinarily talented artists, phenomenal on mp3, but absolutely mesmerising live.

Buika's voice, body language and words went straight and very deeply into my heart, beyond anything you can even begin to imagine until you are there. I could and really want to go on, but this is not the time or place, I know.

:lv
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I have been planning to go to some outdoor concerts this weekend but it looks like rain after a very warm and sunny week full of music and no sleep, but at least I can stretch my legs on the front row.

Electric guitarist Mike Stern belongs to the elite and has a faithful audience in Copenhagen. He is here for the fifth year in a row and the atmosphere tonight will be vibrant, I am sure. Mike Stern always brings the best musicians and another great star, this time saxophonist Bill Evans. Better give up an afternoon of Latin and try to get some sleep first...
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

No sleep, but they had coffee in the bar.

When I have seen the wonderful Mike Stern on stage, then I know that I am back in Denmark. Otherwise, running home in the middle of the night in heavy rain with a wet silk dress and relatively high heals leaves no doubt that this is the Danish summer.

One more day left of Copenhagen Jazz Festival, I have not experienced half of what I intended, but I have really been spoiled with unforgettable concerts at beautiful venues. It has been a fantastic week with live music that will live on in heart and soul, at least until the first week of July next year. I hope that Mike Stern will come back for the sixth year in a row with another giant and a strong band.

:bb:

This is from Cordoba last week:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]