Nothing beats Live Music

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Nothing beats Live Music

Post by BENNU »

An hour and a half from now, The Rolling Stones will be on stage in little Denmark, but who cares?

The closest that I have ever been to having an idol, is Chick Corea. I have seen him twice at Copenhagen Jazz Festival, always the highlight of my year, only playing a few songs from his time with the fabulous group, Return to Forever which in the seventies opened my eyes and ears to jazz. Tomorrow, in a duet with bassist Stanley Clarke, he will spoil a rather small audience with songs from that era. :cheer: Need I tell you who will be right in the middle of the front row as always...

phpBB [video]

This is an old dream of mine! :d2:

http://chickcorea.com/corea-clarke/

"Chick & Stanley Clarke Duet
The Songs Of Return To Forever
Chick and Stanley Clarke have been musical blood brothers for more than forty years — since their earliest days in Return to Forever. This summer, they take their breathless chemistry to new territory.

This is the picture of a forty-year collaboration: Chick and Stanley, on acoustic instruments, with all of jazz history at their fingertips, in this rare duo format.

The founding members of the legendary band Return to Forever play the music from that classic songbook."

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Nothing beats Live Music

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I agree Bennu, providing they are not lip-syncing like most do nowadays. Years ago you really had to be able to sing, or play a musical instrument, there were no technicians like there are nowadays to make you sound good. That is why some of the older groups are still going strong. The modern day entertainer does not have the same qualities. Has for Wrapper's (Misspelled-Should begin with a capital C) I still fail to see what people see in their music. Not for me I'am afraid. I remember going to see the Stones and the Beatles were on the same bill, along with Gerry and the Pacemakers and Freddie and the Dreamers, the ticket cost was 17s:6p cheap compared with todays prices.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The last live concert by anything more than a local group that I attended was by After The Fire (ATF) at Finsbury Park in November 1980. Very good, but of course too loud.

How do I remember the date? My then girl-friend was very heavily pregnant with my daughter.

The other group that I saw live a few times was Buggles, in late 1979 or early 1980 at a local venue in Acton.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

BENNU wrote:An hour and a half from now, The Rolling Stones will be on stage in little Denmark, but who cares?

The closest that I have ever been to having an idol, is Chick Corea. I have seen him twice at Copenhagen Jazz Festival, always the highlight of my year, only playing a few songs from his time with the fabulous group, Return to Forever which in the seventies opened my eyes and ears to jazz. Tomorrow, in a duet with bassist Stanley Clarke, he will spoil a rather small audience with songs from that era. :cheer: Need I tell you who will be right in the middle of the front row as always...

phpBB [video]

This is an old dream of mine! :d2:

http://chickcorea.com/corea-clarke/

"Chick & Stanley Clarke Duet
The Songs Of Return To Forever
Chick and Stanley Clarke have been musical blood brothers for more than forty years — since their earliest days in Return to Forever. This summer, they take their breathless chemistry to new territory.

This is the picture of a forty-year collaboration: Chick and Stanley, on acoustic instruments, with all of jazz history at their fingertips, in this rare duo format.

The founding members of the legendary band Return to Forever play the music from that classic songbook."
In my budget, live music has always had a very high priority, and I have enjoyed many fabulous concerts. This one, last night, was brilliant and I'm still high!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I saw the Stones at Wembley in 1990 - The Steel Wheels tour.

The Stones are an era defining band who were pushing the boundary much more than the Beetles at the time.

But, they were and are a very poor band live.

Jagger cant sing, and all the songs sound different every time they play them.

Several songs sound like one of several and you don't find out which one it is until Jagger starts singing and even then he is sometimes so un audible you sometimes have to wait until the chorus.

In my experience, sometimes there is nothing worse than live music as far as some bands are concerned.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I enjoy "live"music,but must admit that I can get pretty ****** off with it!
I have very eclectic taste in music.My cd collection consists of bands "greatest hits!"
If I go to a concert,then those songs are the ones I want to hear!The Greatest Hits!The ones that made me buy the cd in the first place!
Not their "latest."Not the "obscure"
Leads me to another question.Who was best band you ever saw "live?"
Mine was Bon Jovi at Ibrox.Masters of stadium rock!Brilliant,feel good..and all their greatest hits!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I'm just trying to share my enthusiasm over last night's concert. 8)

Monday, in a beautiful concert hall with unique acustic, it is time for this phenomenal singer:

phpBB [video]
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Summer rain smelling through my balcony door, it is going to be a steaming hot evening tonight. What do you do when you left your new favorite dress in Luxor for the summer? You get yourself another one in green on the summer sale, so that you can be very comfortable in the heat and give in to the music performed right in front of you.

I am listening to Gregory Porter, an incredible singer, and I cannot sit still. He sings jazz, but has a soul voice and a wide and varied audience. Just named the Grammy Male Jazz Singer. What an evening this is going to be. I have not even picked what jewellery to wear yet, that is how good this music is...

phpBB [video]

I believe that it can be enjoyed by non jazz lovers. :wi
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I'll also dig up an early soundtrack of one of my favourites - ATF's first single.

phpBB [video]
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

The concert starts in fifteen minutes :) I'm so excited!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Mine ST was Queen.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Most of the year, I enjoy live Saidi music and sometimes wonderful orchestras in Cairo. I do not worry about what is not available in Luxor because it is more than made up for here in Copenhagen. A night out in Luxor usually means a meal with a beer under the stars with friends and that is good. I miss Egypt, but if I spend the entire year there, I might start complaining about the lack of world class jazz.

I have attended many great concerts, most of my heroes I have seen more than once, so it is saying a lot when I tell you that the two concerts that I have mentioned in this thread, are among my best musical experiences ever.

Aicha is a huge fan of Gregory Porter, and he sang a few lines for her from the chorus of a song, her father wrote to her: Isn't she lovely... Her father then appeared on stage and joined Gregory, first with harp, then singing. The acoustic of the beautiful hall has left no musician unimpressed, and one has to Wonder :!: how it feels when you are very experienced - and blind.

They sang the last tune that I had heard before I left home full of expectations that were to be exceeded: Free. I think that I have got myself a new favorite singer, full of soul and spirit, and I even love the lyrics. As I was getting very high watching and listening to the two superstars, the song, Free, reminded me of the first thing that Luxor taught me - to appreciate my freedom of which I always thought that I had too much, before I learned what it really means to be free.

phpBB [video]

Another favorite musician of mine will be on the same stage tomorrow, I am looking forward, but still far from over this evening's beautiful concert.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

BENNU wrote:The concert starts in fifteen minutes :) I'm so excited!

Would you believe, even when I stood in line for a refreshment to take into the concert hall, I wanted to share it here with you. :wi

This is from last night's concert with Stevie Wonder on stage, "FREE": :cheer:

phpBB [video]

Last time I had seen Stevie Wonder was 1981.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:cry:

:rut:

:wi Tonight I am going to see one of my favorite guitarists again, this time with his Über Jam Band:

phpBB [video]

:wi It is going to be great! :cheer:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

It was great! :br Good old John Scofield is a virtuoso, incredible what he can get out of such a little guitar. Beautiful summer evening, too.

:song:

Same place tomorrow!
as if anyone cares :-(
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

My life was all about African art and culture, and whenever there was something that I really loved, be it music, fabric, a dance movement, song or a mask, it would be from Mali. I had to postpone my dream trip to Mali and Burkina Faso when my back was so weak that I could not even lift a rucksack. I went on a less challenging adventure to Ghana and two weeks after I came back to the cold North, I found myself on a plane to Cairo for an extra little month in Egypt, still believing that I would go to Mali later that year.

That was nine years ago, and since then I have had the expense of two homes which stops me from what I call traveling, but I still love the music and still dream of Mali. If Mohamed will not come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Copenhagen. :cheer:

Tomorrow's experience:

phpBB [video]
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Warming up for tomorrow night :wi

phpBB [video]
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Stevie Wonder Joins Gregory Porter Onstage at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival (Video)

- See more at: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/v ... zpTos.dpuf

The two join forces on "Free," a song about the Detroit riots on soul-jazz singer Porter's Blue Note debut, "Liquid Spirits."

The Copenhagen Jazz Festival is always filled with pleasant surprises, and the 2014 edition of the 10-day celebration has been no exception. Besides programming offbeat shows like the pairing of Swedish saxophonist Mats Gustafsson with rock guitarist Thurston Moore, a seemingly conventional concert by headlining American soul-jazz singer Gregory Porter suddenly turned into a major musical event with a special (and unplanned) guest appearance from none other than Stevie Wonder.

Wonder and his large entourage — straight from their previous night’s gig at the neighboring Roskilde Music Festival — attended Porter’s show on very short notice. As a result, Porter was totally unaware of Wonder’s presence until just prior to the encore and was obviously very excited and moved by the news. Porter graciously praised and introduced Stevie (seated in the box usually reserved for Danish royalty) and then invited the iconic singer to please join him onstage.

When speaking onstage, Stevie sheepishly confessed that he was a little jealous of Mr. Porter because Wonder’s daughter, Alicia, is such a huge fan of the young man. After addressing Porter as a talented, rising star worthy of much attention and great accolades, Wonder spoke of being present for the Detroit riots in 1967. Then, as if on cue, the two men launched into Porter’s own song about those Detroit riots and the ongoing need for civil rights entitled “Free” from his Blue Note debut album, Liquid Spirits.

phpBB [video]

The Copenhagen crowd was predictably ecstatic, and everybody stood as Wonder jammed along on the harmonica and also sang on the inspirational song. This was Porter’s first visit to Denmark and to be sure his legend is growing, as it was a most memorable evening for all in attendance. The Copenhagen Jazz Festival continues through Sunday, July 13, so let’s hope for more wonderful surprises like this one.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Ah! Now I see which posts I've missed. I'm going to have to come back and listen to them later though. :(
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The Gregory Porter style of Jazz is the style I like, Thank You for introducing him to me Bennu.. , :up
I could never get on with the likes of Chloe Lane and Johnny Dankworth Jazz. :td

I bet Stevies Appearance was a BIG surprise.. :up :up :up :up

Alison and I love Stevie Wonders Album, Journey through the Secret Life of Plants.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.