Police launch crackdown on street vendors

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Police launch crackdown on street vendors

Post by DJKeefy »

The interior ministry has launched a concerted campaign to remove unauthorised street vendors and their stalls from the streets of Cairo and other Egyptian cities.

The governor of Cairo, Galal Said, visited Ramsis Square in central Cairo on Thursday to track the campaign, and told state news agency MENA that all the illegal vendors had been removed from downtown Cairo and from the square.

On Friday, the number of vendors in key locations of the capital was noticeably less than on previous days, according to an Ahram Online reporter at the scene.

As part of a new campaign to restore security to Egypt`s streets, the interior ministry has said it plans to remove all illegal street vendors, intensify the presence of security forces, and ease traffic.

Giza’s governor, Ali Abdel-Rahman, is also working on removing vendors in the western parts of the capital, according to MENA.

Abdel-Rahman stressed that special forces who are well-trained to deal with the vendors are always present during the removal process in order to avoid any clashes.

An Ahram Online reporter in Alexandria also witnessed the removal of illegal vendors in central parts of the city by the police on Thursday.

Vendors in the area argued with police, who were confiscating their goods, but no clashes were reported.

A magazine seller at the scene told Ahram Online that vendors have been obstructing traffic for more than three years.

'It`s better to remove them from the streets; however, I am worried about what will happen to them. They have families. They might turn into thieves,' said the magazine seller.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab told Al-Ahram Arabic that the interior ministry is planning to intensify security forces in the areas where the vendors were removed, in order to ensure that they don’t return to the same spots.

The growing number of vendors in Egypt’s busy streets since the 2011 revolution has caused tension, with many Egyptians blaming them for increasing the city's chronic traffic problems.

There have been repeated attempts to clear vendors from areas where they congregate such as Talaat Harb Street, 26 July Street and Ramsis Street in central Cairo. Police action has at times led to clashes and violence with the vendors, who say there are no legal alternative locations to set up their stalls.

MENA reported on Thursday that the governor of Gharbiya, Mohamed Naeem, had allocated LE1 million to create a new market space for street vendors in Al-Mahalla Al-Kobra city.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/103522.aspx

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Police launch crackdown on street vendors

Post by Dusak »

I can understand the need for this in the likes of Cairo due to the heavily congested roads, but it would be a shame if they implemented the new law in the likes of Luxor. Most of these street vendors are young boys that have at least attempted to earn an honest living by selling from these wheeled carts. From what I have observed they create little or no obstructions to traffic, this is mainly created by the motorist themselves by double and triple parking in the main streets. Perhaps they would be better solving this problem out first and allow these young entrepreneurs to carry on providing for themselves and families.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

They tried this before on the botom of Medina, police came aong and piled all the fruit and veg into their trucks from the vendors there that didn't have a shop. Eventually it was organised and lookouts were posted and as soon s a police van arrived everything was moved, never seen anyone move so quickly. Barrows were pushed rapidly up side streets, ladies lifted off the pavement with their eggs cheese etc and taken into shops. Then came the revolution (1st) and the police were scared to do anything. The removal of the illegal stalls certainly eased the traffic flow down there, especially as everyone except the police started to use it as a one way street again. It did lose it's character though and felt "not like home."
Also on the market behind the railway station, purpose build stalls for the sale of fruit and veg all the tradesmen had one, now the majority of stalls are on the floor and the stalls abandoned. Most likely because they have to pay rent for the stalls and nothing for using the floor.
Actually I like a bit of mess and mayhem but I must admit they often cause traffic chaos.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Cannot see the problem, if they have a valid "Hawkers" licence, or whatever is the equivalent in Egypt
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My friend popped in for a visit this afternoon, sadly she reports that the police were already implementing the new law in Luxor, clearing the main streets of these barrow boys.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Cannot see the problem, if they have a valid "Hawkers" license, or whatever is the equivalent in Egypt
Do you mean Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.
WIZARD
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

WIZARD wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote:Cannot see the problem, if they have a valid "Hawkers" license, or whatever is the equivalent in Egypt
Do you mean Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.
Ouch!

P.S. - I see you are on form Wiz.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I actually thought there was a law about this anyway!

I can remember a number of occasions pre 2011 walking through the 'new' tourist souk when suddenly all the tables from outside would hastily disappear back into the shops. It was rather a domino effect starting at one or other end and seeing it progress through to the last shops/stalls.

I also recall a member who used to post fairly regularly in the past who, at the time, had a place of refreshment on one of the main streets. He more than once complained about the police coming along and removing his extra seating area.

While I am sad for those who may have been managing to scrape some kind of living this way, at the end of the day I'm sure they probably knew that sooner or later they were going to be move on one way or another.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

A4 I have tried but to no avail, to use my translator on the comment by Wizard, can you translate for us please. Unless its rude. But i cannot see Wizard putting anything rude on the forum ;)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:A4 I have tried but to no avail, to use my translator on the comment by Wizard, can you translate for us please. Unless its rude. But i cannot see Wizard putting anything rude on the forum ;)
You need a better translator. It is easily translatable through a number of sites on the internet and there are also many on line dictionary and phrase books. Of course, if you can't understand what is written you may not know which actual language is used which could be a handicap. Clue: French.
It is not rude but certainly showed ignorance when first used.
-Aldous Huxley
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

I usually tell them chevaux instead of brioche or if really fed up with them then enfants
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:A4 I have tried but to no avail, to use my translator on the comment by Wizard, can you translate for us please. Unless its rude. But i cannot see Wizard putting anything rude on the forum ;)
Qu'ils mangent de la brioche. Was allegedly said by Marie Antoinette.. That famous arrogant line "Let them eat Cake" when the peasants had no bread to eat.
However, "brioche" does not mean Cake in French.. more like some extravagant sort of bun, made with expensive ingredients of the day..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I doubt an automatic translator would give you the exact phrase normally used in English but it is the original of "Let them eat cake!"
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I doubt an automatic translator would give you the exact phrase normally used in English but it is the original of "Let them eat cake!"
Copy and paste into browser and search works though for those not familiar with the phrase. I tested it out.
-Aldous Huxley
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I doubt an automatic translator would give you the exact phrase normally used in English but it is the original of "Let them eat cake!"
You are absolutely right Glyph, or perhaps I should have used the quote "Soit alors manger du gâteau" instead, for those not too familiar with common French phrases.
WIZARD
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

WIZARD wrote:
You are absolutely right Glyph, or perhaps I should have used the quote "Soit alors manger du gâteau" instead, for those not too familiar with common French phrases.
Ou peut etre "eclair au chocolat". :snig:
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Let them eat cake thanks for that but I am sure there are not many to eat the cakes that are produced here. Sugary, tastes of nothing else on earth, dry as a bone and gives you a bad stomach. So is this the way of getting your own back? :lol: :lol:

Mrs Choccy "Makes exceedingly good Cakes" Lemon Drizzle, Carrot Cake, Shoo Fly Pie, Chocolate and Orange, and Fruit Cake, along with Garlic Bread, Paprika Bread, great fruit pies, steak and mushroom, chicken and mushroom, fantastic curries. All Yummie!! She make also her own Short Crust Pastry.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Ah! The irony of irony when it is lost in translation.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Alors, let them eat Lemon Drizzle, Carrot Cake, Shoo Fly Pie, Chocolate and Orange, and Fruit Cake, along with Garlic Bread, Paprika Bread, great fruit pies, steak and mushroom, chicken and mushroom, fantastic curries.

Problem solved! :grin:
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Ah! The irony of irony when it is lost in translation.
True. We'll be moving on to Pearls next. ;)
WIZARD